R.R. Cap Tallies Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
    Nice additions. A said the Blücher is a rare one. The photo is a nice thing to keep though. There are not too many shots of sailors wearing the Grille Mützenband.
    As also commented, these are very delicate and should be handled with care. The treads coming out is usually from tension, either from framing/display. Just be careful.

Nice pick ups.

Regards,
    JustinG
    Hi Justin,

Yes, I observed some damages at Blücher tally was caused by a bad display method that caused some rust stains. I continue to preserve my tallies at film canisters.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Hi,

Two new imperial tallies added in collection:

After the KM Blücher, now S.M.S. Bluecher:

And the S.M.S. Friedrich Der Grosse:

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Nice imperial tallies Ricardo

Comment

What wonderful thread you started Ricardo,I never had seen it until now

Congrats

Fernando

Comment

Two new tallies arrived this week, both from Dani (Marine-HJ).

The third "K"cruiser in collection:

And a new unissued and in very nice condition "Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee"

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Originally posted by L11-VELASCO View Post
              What wonderful thread you started Ricardo,I never had seen it until now

Congrats

Fernando

Thank you, Fernando.

Comment

Outstanding tallies. Very nice collection to this point.

John

Comment

The 2nd is a worn sample too from Aviso Grille with about 42,0cm long, probably removed from a cap.

I think this tally was removed from a pillowcase display due to the long stitch lines top and bottom. It probably was once on a cap of course, but perhaps sent home and the family made a patriotic display of some sort. We have posted images of pillowcase displays in the past here.

This tally arrived with this interesting picture from two sailors wearing Aviso Grille cap tallies and a Officer. I have no idea if this picture belonged originally from the 1st tally owner or it was put together after by a collector. I'm not sure too if it's periode printed or if it's a modern copy made from a original negative. This size looks strange for me (6,0cm X 8,5cm), I thik it's too little. Has someone opinions about it?

This is not so hard to determine. Get a microscope and see if the image is pixilated. Or borrow a microscope somewhere. If it is pixilated it is a modern copy, probably scanned.

John

Comment

Originally posted by R.R. View Post
                    Hi Justin,

Yes, I observed some damages at Blücher tally was caused by a bad display method that caused some rust stains. I continue to preserve my tallies at film canisters.

Best Regards,

Ricardo
                    I agree with the film canister system. Best for most of us.

Comment

Very nice collection of undervalued items. I love the captallies, specially these with the name of ships, and I think in the future their price and interest for collectors will grow up a lot.
                      Thank you for showing Ricardo.

I have to agree with this comment by Gregorio. You can actually display these tallies at home and nobody will get upset, for example guests. I have noted how interested in tallies most people are once they understand what it is. For Americans, they are not used to tallies since the US Navy uses the dixie cup cap although it did use tallies until the 1960's.

This collecting niche does not have the evil symbol that makes many displays private, and if you combine a photo of the tally in wear, or the ship, it is interesting to almost everybody. Since the tally is normally ship or unit specific, it leads to much enjoyment searching out the history of those units also. Plus the fact that there are many hundreds of different tallies out there, this collecting field can go on and on for somebody interested in it.

Remember, the big ship tallies are interesting, but the word "rare" in tally collecting applies to how long a unit was in existence, how many sailors were in it, when it was replaced, if replaced, by the "Kriegsmarine" tally. Short unit life span, few sailors=rare.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                        [I]

This is not so hard to determine. Get a microscope and see if the image is pixilated. Or borrow a microscope somewhere. If it is pixilated it is a modern copy, probably scanned.

John
                        Thank you John, I'll put it under a digital microscope to observe if it's pixilated.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Gents,

After some stressy days, I'd like to resuscitate this thread.
                          Here are some regards from "Turkey"
                          Attached Files

Comment

...and the Breslau / Midilli
                            Enjoy!
                            BR, Chris
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting. John

Comment

...and here we have a pretty rare item: a (unfortunately cut-down) tally "Sonderkommando Dardanellen".

BR, Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X