This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
    "Aviso Grille", as you know, was the ship chosen by Hitler for his trips on the sea. Some people have told that this was the Hitler´s yatch, not correct at all, and actually the Führer prefer the mountais, and don´t used a lot his boat.
    No doubt, this is the rarest in my collection. As the boat is quite small and for security reasons the crew was almost unchanged during Third Reich years, not many sailors worn this, and when some of these tallys come to the market prices are very hight, as it must be.
    This one came to my collection sewn to a sailor´s pillow, with the Kreuzer Endem and Kriegsmarine tallies. This kind of pillows were very used in those times. The sailors used to sew in a pillow the tallys with the names of the ships were they sailed as a souvenir. More veteran = more tallies = most prestige.
    My Graf Spee tally came in one of these pillows too.
    Regards
    Greg
    Greg,

Pillowcase attached. John
    Attached Files

Comment

Cotton reverse
      Attached Files

Comment

Eugen tally

Here is an expanded view of the above Prinz Eugen tally. You can see here more clearly that it is of cellon, artifical cotton. It looks a bit like gold wire in the image above, but it is cellon.

Attached. John
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi again
          Nice and interesting posts here.
          John, I like a lot this pillow. Main part of them have captallys only. I´d like to hear the storys from this pillow if it can talk, specially if it made the famous big war cruise with the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer.
          I´m now waiting for a nice lot: the civil tally "Monte Pascoal" with a Blockade runner badge. Both belonged to the same sailor. This boat was in South America when war began and will go back to germany despite of the allies fleets. Unfortunately no other items were available, and I just know the sailor´s name. When the lot arrived I´ll post a pic for you.
          Regards
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
            Hi again
            Nice and interesting posts here.
            John, I like a lot this pillow. Main part of them have captallys only. I´d like to hear the storys from this pillow if it can talk, specially if it made the famous big war cruise with the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer.
            I´m now waiting for a nice lot: the civil tally "Monte Pascoal" with a Blockade runner badge. Both belonged to the same sailor. This boat was in South America when war began and will go back to germany despite of the allies fleets. Unfortunately no other items were available, and I just know the sailor´s name. When the lot arrived I´ll post a pic for you.
            Regards
            Greg
            That would be very interesting. In regards to Aviso Grille, yes, this is a difficult one to find. It shows up once every 18 months I would say if you are searching all the time.

WWI pillowcase, sorry for the bad photo. It was an ebay offer that I lost so just have this image. John
            Attached Files

Comment

I have a few removed pillowcase tallies. You can tell if they were pillowcase tallies by the little dots top and bottom on the tally itself. You would not notice this until you got it if not revealed by the seller. Note how large I had to expand the image for the dots to be seen. On the other hand, I sort of like them since it shows that it once belonged to a sailor.

John
              Attached Files
              Last edited by John R.; 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post
                I guess another Question now is how are these Tallies (Originals) actually made, stitched ect...

I'm not sure if anyone has any further information regarding this?
                On a special machine. John

Comment

Prinz Eugen Talley

John,

Thank you very much for the additional postings of the back of this Cellon Talley. It confirms that I have an original!!

Comment

Just thought I'd say what a great thread this has turned out to be...coincided nicely with my first 2 Tally's.
                    Cheers guys....

KR...Peter

Comment

Here are some pics of Kondor's cellon Prinz Eugen cap tally. As can be seen, it is a cut example.

Comment

Yes, it is cut, but not for a scrapbook or display. It was cut most probably by a senior petty officer who caught this sailor trying to wear the tally too long. The sailors liked the full length sweeping tally, around 150 cm, but the regulations were for it to only come down to the top of the collar.

If the senior petty officer was inspecting you, say before going on liberty, discovered the long tally, he would snip off the ends to collar length.

The snipped ends were retrieved by the sailor and sewn back on. Therefore, you see these types of tallies not infrequently.

My take, Kondor's tally is a worn period tally, ends cut off during an inspection and reattached.

John

Comment

FINALLY, Zerstorer Paul Jacobi is in my harbour

BTW.

Huck's Paul Jacobi tally is now mine, thanks to a deal we made.
                          Hope you enjoy the Soldbuch!

Regards,
                          2dresq907

Comment

Here's my destroyer group scan
                            Attached Files

Comment

backs
                              Attached Files

Comment

As I promised here you have my new adquisition.
                                Monte Pascoal was a transatlantic cruiser of the Hamburg-Südamerikanische line. She was in Buenos Aires when the war began and have to sail to Germany across an ocean controlled by the enemy navys. All crew menbers were awarded later with the Blockade runner badge. The ship was in Wilhelmshaven as a barrack ship of the Kriegsmarine from 1940 and in 1944 was hitted and sunk in the dock during an air attack. In 1945 the ship was refloated by the brithish. Severely damaged to sail again, the remains of Monte Pascoal was loaded with obsolete chemical munitions and sunk in the Skagerrak in late 1945.
                                Regads
                                Greg
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Gregorio Torres; 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 17 users online. 0 members and 17 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X