Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....and this is an M.42 helmet, refurbished after WWII (note the sausage and
    other particulars of the liner) that I personally picked up at the SMIPAR , during
    my service there on 1976-77:these helmets were no more in use at that time but Stefano can you say is it a fake? I dont't think so.I find several resemblances with the helmet on this thread, so we can talk about refurbished helmets, an not faked helmets !
    Attached Files

Comment

Paolo,
      Do you think that the first helmet is similar to this one?
      Look at the chinstrap....

Comment

The camo paint on the helmet on this thread, doesn't disturb me, in fact during
        the RSI period the paras used several camo schemes, very different from the
        German ones. This camo paint it is possible has been found under another overpaint, so IMHO we can't say it's a fake.Later I'll be able to show other photos, mainly of the time. Interesting, on the contrary the marking on the inner part of the shell, uncommon, but known on M.42s..
        So,if we talk about a refurbished para helmet, I agree. If we talk of a faked
        helmet, I don't, in fact the real faked M.42s are other...! PaoloM

Comment

Originally posted by flashider View Post
          Paolo,
          Do you think that the first helmet is similar to this one?
          Look at the chinstrap....

Stefano, talking about these refurbished helmets, you can't ever find an
          helmet like another! At the time these were reworked, there was only one
          people able to do that;he was a NCO that during WWII got the maintenance
          of the damage helmets, so he was able to mount again the vent holes, to
          replace the nose guards and to replace the chin-straps. It is strange to me
          you talk about faked liners, that are evidently different from the post-war
          ones adopted on the M.42/47s and on the M.42/60s.!I know you're suspicious
          and that you don't trust in the M.42 liners with stitches all around the head
          band, but, believe me, they could exist.
          To end this interesting thread, I think everyone can have his own ideas,based
          mainly on his experience, but we can't give up to the photographic evidence.
          I repeat, I don't like the nose-guard on the helmet we're talking about, but
          except this, I can't consider that a faked helmet. Just my 2 cents... PaoloM

Comment

Originally posted by Paolo Marzetti View Post
            The camo paint on the helmet on this thread, doesn't disturb me, in fact during
            the RSI period the paras used several camo schemes, very different from the
            German ones. This camo paint it is possible has been found under another overpaint, so IMHO we can't say it's a fake.Later I'll be able to show other photos, mainly of the time. Interesting, on the contrary the marking on the inner part of the shell, uncommon, but known on M.42s..
            So,if we talk about a refurbished para helmet, I agree. If we talk of a faked
            helmet, I don't, in fact the real faked M.42s are other...! PaoloM
            Paolo,
            So you don't think that this one is a fake?
            Could you please show us better pictures of an original liner with some close-ups?

If we discuss about the shell...It's original...but repainted.The camo paint job is fake...not an original post war camo.
            About the sausage...probably it's an original post-war made....but I don't like the chinstrap and the leather liner.
            The gummy isn't correct for this type of helmets.Also the rivets aren't correct for the WWII period.

Comment

Stefano, talking about these refurbished helmets, you can't ever find an
              helmet like another! At the time these were reworked, there was only one
              people able to do that;he was a NCO that during WWII got the maintenance
              of the damage helmets, so he was able to mount again the vent holes, to
              replace the nose guards and to replace the chin-straps. It is strange to me
              you talk about faked liners, that are evidently different from the post-war
              ones adopted on the M.42/47s and on the M.42/60s.!I know you're suspicious
              and that you don't trust in the M.42 liners with stitches all around the head
              band, but, believe me, they could exist.
              To end this interesting thread, I think everyone can have his own ideas,based
              mainly on his experience, but we can't give up to the photographic evidence.
              I repeat, I don't like the nose-guard on the helmet we're talking about, but
              except this, I can't consider that a faked helmet. Just my 2 cents... PaoloM
              Probably you have reason about the refurbished helmets...
              Fortunately was made after the war...So I can have a wrong opinion...But they aren't helmets to collect

Comment

I don't think that's a fake, only reworked.
                Here below the first photo I have on hand about an original WWII liner:
                Attached Files

Comment

And now Stefano a couple of questions for you:
                  -what do you think about the vent holes on this M.41 in a photo of the time?
                  -and why, according probably to some rules that I forgot or I don't know the
                  camo paint job on the helmet of the thead maybe considered a fake?
                  Thanks, PaoloM
                  Attached Files

Comment

And now Stefano a couple of questions for you:
                    -what do you think about the vent holes on this M.41 in a photo of the time?
                    -and why, according probably some rules that I forgot or I don't know the
                    camo paint job on the helmet of the thead maybe considered a fake?
                    Thanks, PaoloM
                    1) Usually I don't judge helmets from archives photos or black and white images.Why you show always photos of your archive?
                    Generally about the vent holes....you know that 99,9% of original WWII helmets have the correct rivets.If you are interested to collect the strange 0,1%...Do it!!

2) The camo paint is artificially aged...Don't ask me why....I don't speak well english to explain....Ask to the American or English german camo collectors

Comment

Originally posted by flashider View Post
                      1) Usually I don't judge helmets from archives photos or black and white images.Why you show always photos of your archive?
                      Generally about the vent holes....you know that 99,9% of original WWII helmets have the correct rivets.If you are interested to collect the strange 0,1%...Do it!!

2) The camo paint is artificially aged...Don't ask me why....I don't speak well english to explain....Ask to the American or English german camo collectors
                      1) Personally I follow with interest Marzetti’s opinions because has really a big knowledge on RSI helmets, specially FJ.
                      Mr Marzetti, thanks to share those photos from your archive and explain your point of view, is always appreciate from me and many others to learn more.
                      The M42 from West Point Military Museum and the M41 of the last photo posted have the same rivets, look at those, I would say more than 0,1%.

2) Maybe any faker you know who speak english can explain why that paint is fake and with all respect due to American or English collectors, this is an Italian helm, and you know that Italian paint was totally different from the german one.

Luca
                      Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Hello,

nice discussion! sorry but IMO the sausage protection is postwar and the general condition
                        of camouflage paint don't like me for an real combat helmet give me an very bad sensation..
                        there are the photos of my para helmet refurbished after the war by Carabinieri para in the
                        years 60' the helmet is original wartime liner/sausage/rubber pads are WWII unfortunately
                        repainted postwar in first time with kakhi and after in green with the Carabinieri stencil.
                        I have found personally this helmet.
                        cheers, Raffaello
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Raffaello Carola; 06-13-2008, 05:13 AM.
                        "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

WOW Raffaello!!! Well done!
                          From the photo I like it! It's a postwar reissued, but is wonderfull!!

Comment

note the star rubber protection eliminated (more soldiers eliminate this
                            rubber protection because have size problem)
                            Attached Files
                            "six italians, dressed in rather unusual diving suits and equipped with materials of laughably little cost have swung the military balance of power in the Mediterranean in favour of the Axis".

Comment

the sausage sistem (note the postwar khaki paint inside years 50')
                              Attached Files

Comment

note the tongue rubber WWII
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X