Original hand stitch vs. reapplied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original hand stitch vs. reapplied

Tough to tell on this one. Looks very believable IMO. No evidence of another having been there.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Files

A fairly good application, but to me it looks replaced.

Comment

Mint, unaltered M40 EM tunic. I bought recently from e-stand thinking it was restored, but now I’m not so sure. Collar is original stitching.

No clear give-a-way. We will never know .

Regardless, it’s going to make a great display.

Comment

Reapplied eagle but nicely done.
        http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Believable ...but IMO nicely redone .
          Hard to be sure either way .
          Nick

Comment

I tend to agree, but as you say, very well done.

Comment

Hi Bob, I think it is entirely possible that it is originally hand-sewn.

Looks like another great addition to your collection:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=911896

Hopefully you will show us more pictures of the tunic at some point!

Best regards, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW View Post
                I think a lot of people would share your opinion. I purchased it because it is an unaltered M40. As you know, they are very difficult to find. I paid the price of a restored tunic, so I'm good with it being reapplied.....BUT, I'm thinking it has a chance of being origninal.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW View Post

Looks like another great addition to your collection:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=911896

Hopefully you will show us more pictures of the tunic at some point!

Best regards, Paul
                  Here is the rest of it. Whether restitched or not, it is a very nice M40 that will make a very cool display beside this named, GJR Major.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic display!

Comment

Display looks awesome!

Comment

I am now the custodian of this tunic. I bought it at the MAX this past weekend after it quickly passed from Bob's hands to an intermediary who flipped it to me the very next day.
                        For better or for worse, I bought it with the belief that the breast eagle is most likely originally applied. Seller reported that he showed the tunic to Mike Davis and Mike thought the same thing. Both seller and I did not trust the GJ badge and seller carefully removed it, leaving no trace.

In any case, it's a beautiful example. Aside from one concealed moth hole and one small grazing spot on the back it's in nearly mint condition.

Comment

Very nice Tunic, and the Bird is original on there, not resewn to me.
                          WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

I had a late war panzer wrapper that was all original, IMO, and had a hand stitched eagle. It did happen.
                            At the Max show, my friend has a luft smock that he found himself, and it had an all original hand applied eagle. So I think it is common across all branches of the military to have hand applied insignia. Tons of SS and luft Caps with hand applied insignia too.

Comment

Originally posted by AntiqueWW2 View Post
                              Very nice Tunic, and the Bird is original on there, not resewn to me.
                              Thanks. It looks even more credible in person vs. those photos. Lays nice and perfectly flat on the wool. No trace of stitching holes for a former eagle too. I'm comfortable enough with it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X