Original hand stitch vs. reapplied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by galizien41 View Post
    I had a late war panzer wrapper that was all original, IMO, and had a hand stitched eagle. It did happen.
    At the Max show, my friend has a luft smock that he found himself, and it had an all original hand applied eagle. So I think it is common across all branches of the military to have hand applied insignia. Tons of SS and luft Caps with hand applied insignia too.
    It's a formula with a few variables. Depends on what was the custom or technique at the particular point in time for the particular type of tunic or other uniform item. Couple that with the fact there can be exceptions and apply judgement based on experience.

While there are certain expectations based on what we know from established practices, there are also period-applied variations.

Fortunately for this "M40" tunic the eagle is of the correct type and attached in the correct manner for such a tunic during that time period.

Comment

Looks originally applied to me. Nice tunic. J

Comment

There is a reasonable doubt, so I decided to move it along. It is a nice one either way, so Todd, I hope you enjoy it. I have an M40 that is unquestionable original, so I was able to recoup my money on this one and I'm happy that you bought it.

Bob

Comment

Hi Todd,

I collect Air Force, not Army, but the same principles apply. It sounds like you’re looking at all the right things and if you’re comfortable with it that’s what ultimately matters.

If an original breast eagle was hand applied to an original uniform using period materials and techniques, how would we reasonably be able to tell now anyway - if it were done 60 years ago vs. 75?

At some point in time we need to be comfortable with a degree of uncertainty, and go with our guts and judgments like you said.

J-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X