No announcement yet.

Shoulder Board Cypher Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is great you know them too, please say hello to type faces for me. Looks closer to a capital "I" to me.

Comment

I am not sure that all of these were made for the military. I have had this device for many years and believe it to be a "U" not a variant "a". I have never found a match for it either.
      Attached Files

Comment

I am open to new information on Heer insignia, however I would prefer to see a period photo of the insignia in wear or perhaps a convincing piece of insignia. The example pictured here, a private purchase sew-in typically seen in prewar Waffenrocks seems an unlikely platform for a late war device:
        Attached Files

Comment

Cyphers

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          I am not sure that all of these were made for the military. I have had this device for many years and believe it to be a "U" not a variant "a". I have never found a match for it either.

I have seen a few other of the Fraktur "U" that have been listed as an "A". The manufacturing quality is similar to the "Z" on the Oberfeldwebel strap. The "Z" cypher is a quite distinctive font. The capital "A" letters are relatively similar to the cyphers. The "U" looks the same as capital and lower case. The "Z" on the strap almost looks closer to a lower case. The "Z" on the strap might be like the "U" and not necessarily made for military.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Schulterklappen; 04-02-2016, 07:01 AM.

Comment

What non-military organization would have worn military style insignia?

Comment

I still think the metal device in question is more similar to an "I" then a "Z".

Comment

Think of them in terms of numbers, a Z closely resembles a 3 where an I resembles a 1. The device I am referring to looks more like a 3 - Z

Comment

I guess it is debatable but looking at the first capital "I" and the definitive features of the device in question. The up turned top right and the down turned bottom left, the three main segments comprising the letter. The letters are stylized and will not perfectly match type sets but will retain the diagnostic features of each letter. They are similar but the device is missing the top arch of the "z". Hard to say.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Uniforms

Originally posted by Tom Pearcy View Post
                    What non-military organization would have worn military style insignia?

My interest ls mainly in Heer and Reichsheer insignia. When you think about the 3rd Reich though, it seems like everyone organization had a uniform much like everyone had a dagger. It must have been high times for tailors and insignia makers. It is interesting to note just the different styles of numbers that you see used on boards and straps. The strap in question is a tailor made piece and I don't doubt it being original; but, the cypher is an enigma. Maybe at some point, photographic evidence will turn up of it being worn. In a similar vein, it was a long time before a photo turned up of a soldier wearing embroidered "FG" shoulder straps.

Comment

Originally posted by Schulterklappen View Post
                      My interest ls mainly in Heer and Reichsheer insignia. When you think about the 3rd Reich though, it seems like everyone organization had a uniform much like everyone had a dagger. It must have been high times for tailors and insignia makers. It is interesting to note just the different styles of numbers that you see used on boards and straps. The strap in question is a tailor made piece and I don't doubt it being original; but, the cypher is an enigma. Maybe at some point, photographic evidence will turn up of it being worn. In a similar vein, it was a long time before a photo turned up of a soldier wearing embroidered "FG" shoulder straps.
                      This is very true and my uncle used to laugh and tell me that "After the nazis came in even the mailman had a sword". Almost everyone was wearing uniforms.

I think the "U" and the mystery device are related maybe the same manufacturer etc. - stylistically they are very similar as well as wash and finish etc.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X