Named artillery tunic with Krim shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

thanks for the open discussion about the tunic.
    As requested I made some more pictures.

I also checked the tunic for more moth bites or in other words, more of these bald areas. I founds quite a few, see photos. Most of them are around the collar and of course in some folds. These spots look similar to the ones 3/4 around the eagle.

I also checked the thread on the shield. Once I turned the sleeve inside out I've seen that the thinner thread is stitched thru the liner, the thicker thread (the one which looks similar than the loops on the breast pocket) was not stitched thru the liner.

I also noticed that the shield is very nice nested were the thicker thread is applied and it sits somewhat sloppy and not as tight were the thinner thread is applied.

I also made some more close-ups of the award loops.

What do you think?

Alex
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

some bald areas
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

more
                  Attached Files

Comment

Although bad for the tunic, I am glad to see other areas where there's been mothing down to the nap. Looks to me like the thinner thread on the shield is a repair or replacement.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                      ... Looks to me like the thinner thread on the shield is a repair or replacement.

Don
                      Correct, which is a good sign IMO.... I'm almost tempting to believe the shield could be original sewn after all, just another variant. This makes the case for the eagle stronger as well; harder to believe in a denazified tunic with leaving that shield on.

With all the good efforts you made in showing those clear shots I would be happy to grant it to you.

Frederik

Comment

I think denazification of a tunic in POW cases could consist of only the removal of the eagle as the shield would have been considered a decoration and in many cases POW's were allowed to wear their decorations.

Clearly this tunic is not a POW tunic - so denazification of this particular tunic would probably have implied the removal of the shield as well as the eagle.

I am still very much on the fence (leaning towards the negative) on whether this is a period applied shield. So much so, that I will pass on it if it comes on estand. If I was fairly certain the shield was period applied I would definitely get it.

Cheers, W

Comment

I am really liking these new photos as well. The macro of the shield really shows that it has been on there a while IMO. The macros of the award loops also show wear where the badge pins rested. All good signs.

Comment

thanks again for the open and fair discussion about the tunic.

I would like to summarize the thread:
                            Again, I'm not a cloth guy, my summary is based on the feedback in this thread.
                            I don't want to beautify the tunic but I also don't want it to be "trashed" just because it does not look like known textbook examples.

In general, the tunic and all insignias are period pieces.

Tunic itself --> besides some bald areas in good condition.

Breast eagle --> bald areas around it. These bald areas however, are only present 3/4 around the eagle, the remaining 1/4 (right side of the eagle) do not reveal bald areas. There are bald areas here and there on the tunic which indicates that there was some moth action going on. The eagle itself reveals also some light moth action/damage.

Collar patches --> The linear stitching was mentioned but not discussed in detail. It's not the usual pattern but it did not rise big concerns.

Shoulder boards --> ok

Shield --> the two different threads indicate that some modification / repair has been done to the shield. The portion of the shield which is sewn to the tunic with the thick thread is very tight and nested to the sleeve, this thread does not go thru the inside liner of the sleeve. The portion of the shield which is sewn to the tunic with the thin thread sits sloppy and not as tight to the sleeve, it is also sewn thru the inside liner of the sleeve.
                            The general consent is that the shield could be period applied (thick thread) and repaired (thin thread) maybe also period done or post war.

Award loops --> the used thread on the breast pocket differ from the one used above the breast pocket. There are rest marks were the awards sat.

EK ribbon --> ok

I think I covered everything, please let me know if I missed something

Alex

Comment

here are some more photos of the collar tabs, are these pictures better to determine if it's period applied or not?

I also had my girlfriend put on the jacket, once in wear, the krim shield sits straight and not crooked
                              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X