No announcement yet.

Named artillery tunic with Krim shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F. also a valid point! I think we are leaning towards a post-war upgraded tunic.

Comment

the news getting more and more disturbing for me since I traded it as a untouched tunic with period applied krim shield

I will take some close-ups tonight, maybe my initial pictures weren't the best.

Alex

Comment

The problem also is Alex, that since the tunic is virtually unworn or at least in very good condition, this not really helps to determine if something is completely authentic and untouched. I think no one can claim to tell for 100% sure, certainly not based on pictures alone.

But my concerns about the cloth backing of the shield remain.
        Anyway, you can always sell it for a honest tunic with the price added of the shield... (don't no if you loose much then of course).

Good luck

Comment

Hello,

here are the requested photos, please let me know if you need more.

It seems like that the Krim shield is stitched on the tunic with two different threads. One of them is indeed similar to the one used for the award loops on the breast pocket.

Alright, is it now a "modified" tunic or untouched?

Alex
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Alex, thanks for the additional photos. Is there any mothing/nap wear similar to that around the eagle anywhere else on the tunic?

I am not crazy about the aapplication of the shoulder boards - has anyone seen that method before? I am always paranooid about hand-sewn boards, particularly on nice tunics that probably weren't tailored to be worn at the front.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                      Alex, thanks for the additional photos. Is there any mothing/nap wear similar to that around the eagle anywhere else on the tunic?

I am not crazy about the aapplication of the shoulder boards - has anyone seen that method before? I am always paranooid about hand-sewn boards, particularly on nice tunics that probably weren't tailored to be worn at the front.

Don
                      Don, what don't you like about the shoulder boards? I do not see anything strange there.

Alex, looking at the shield again and the fact that it is not 'ingrained' into the tunic and as it is not horizontally (reference to the ground) attached I am more inclined to think this is post war modified tunic.

Comment

Alex, I have to concur with my previous made remark about the shield, although not 100% convinced. Was the different thread used because after sewing the first half it was finished (it looks like that) or was it used randomly in order to more secure the shield to the sleeve (which would be a good sign)?

Actually the breast eagle's application could very well be authentic IMO; it even looks like the moth did some grazing on the eagle's edges as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
                          Don, what don't you like about the shoulder boards? I do not see anything strange there.
                          That's my bad - it was late and I should have written collar tabs. I am not crazy about the linear stitching. Sorry about the confusion!

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                            ... collar tabs: I am not crazy about the linear stitching. !

Don
                            I understand what you man Don, although I prefer them differently as well, still I could be okay with them.

As far as I see it, it seems that this tunic will have to convince a future buyer on it's own.

Comment

Conclusion:

Tunic good;

Insignia good (although some questions about the backing fabric of the shield);

Eagle, tabs and shoulderboard could all be originally applied to the tunic - but requires the buyer to be comfortable with the points made below;

Shield seems to be the weakest point of this tunic - I believe more speaks in favour of post war application than against.

If the shield is a post-war application, then the loops are most likely also as the same thread was used.

Overall probably a nice arty tunic that has been upgraded post-war.

Agreed?

Comment

There are so many modified and restored tunics out there that as long as it isn't a complete sham then they are still accepted by the community.

I do not have a problem owning restored or modified pieces as long as it is disclosed and the price reflects that.

Can we see an even MORE macro shot of the award loops (as well as backside if possible)?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X