No announcement yet.

Gebirgsjaeger Officer's Waffenrock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a huge file. Probably divorce or legal matters, Investigations can be 60-70 pages of witness testimony etc. The personal info is usually only 20-30 pages.

This is the part of the movie when you find out that he was a cross dresser and was arrested after running down a street naked in Munich wearing lipstick and a blonde wig screaming:

"Ich bins Ich bins Ja Ich bin Heidi-Königin der magischen Elfe"

And then was quietly reassigned from GJ to inspecting folding fork/spoon tools in Latvia for the rest of the War.

Comment

Johnny....you slay me!

Comment

Originally posted by MLH13 View Post
        Johnny....you slay me!
        I knew you would see the humor etc. Some guys would blow up.

Seriously, files that big usually are transcripts of legal matters, we know your guy served throughout the War so I doubt he was super naughty.

Some of my favorites from my files were a Col. that got drunk Christmas Eve and invited all of the NCOS into the Officers mess and gave them access to the officers booze and then was reported by his executive officer. For some odd reason 20-30 NCOS signed a document stating this never occurred and the charges were dismissed. Another one was a Hauptmann that stole an armored car to go see his wife off base one weekend etc.

Usually it is some entertaining insight into the officers life.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          I knew you would see the humor etc. Some guys would blow up.

Seriously, files that big usually are transcripts of legal matters, we know your guy served throughout the War so I doubt he was super naughty.

Some of my favorites from my files were a Col. that got drunk Christmas Eve and invited all of the NCOS into the Officers mess and gave them access to the officers booze and then was reported by his executive officer. For some odd reason 20-30 NCOS signed a document stating this never occurred and the charges were dismissed. Another one was a Hauptmann that stole an armored car to go see his wife off base one weekend etc.

Usually it is some entertaining insight into the officers life.
          An officer that shares his hooch, I'd follow him to hell and back. What a freakin cool grouping Mike has. I can't wait to find out what this guy was into.

Comment

I was exhausted today after skimming through this huge file. There was some duplication but what amazed me was how everything was recorded and/or kept on file.

What was really cool were the documentation of his foreign awards (the most significant being Italian, as you would guess). But I loved it when I came across the piece of paper stating he was awarded the Spanish Cross in Gold with Swords.

More as I uncover it. Much of the pre-TR period, Reichswehr documents were hand-written and impossible for me to decipher. I will have to get some help on that material. So much easier when they used a typewriter.

Mike

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike H View Post
              .... Much of the pre-TR period, Reichswehr documents were hand-written and impossible for me to decipher. I will have to get some help on that material. Mike
              Any time Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike H View Post
                I was exhausted today after skimming through this huge file. There was some duplication but what amazed me was how everything was recorded and/or kept on file.

What was really cool were the documentation of his foreign awards (the most significant being Italian, as you would guess). But I loved it when I came across the piece of paper stating he was awarded the Spanish Cross in Gold with Swords.

More as I uncover it. Much of the pre-TR period, Reichswehr documents were hand-written and impossible for me to decipher. I will have to get some help on that material. So much easier when they used a typewriter.

Mike
                The stereotype of them being fact hoarding record keepers has truth. The Spanish cross in Gold with swords is very nice and rare for an Army officer. He probably had involvement with ABWEHR either directly or providing them with information on foreign military and individuals etc. Legion Condor would fall into the time he left his GJ assignment and explain why there was never an edelweiss etc. He probably was more valuable somewhere else after Spain etc.

Comment

Spanish ...

Here was one of the big surprises -- and pleasing ones -- in the file.

There are several other documents there which appear to relate to his Spanish service. I imagine they are recommendations of some sort. I will sort that later.

Enjoy.

Mike
                  Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Pretty cool and look forward to hearing of more in the record Now you have to get the cross

Comment

I guess I've been sleeping but since when does NARA have info on German soldiers? I've used it for U.S. soldiers including a relative but didn't know about this.

Update:

O.K., at least since 2007 when some nice gentlemen over on the research forum show how! lol I have been sleeping.
                      Last edited by shinerb; 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

They have copies of most preWar active Army officers records, SS personnel files, NSDAP membership info and cards etc. and Mountains of other stuff. I would live in there if they would let me.

http://www.archives.gov/research/cap....html#virginia

Comment

Awards

Here are two more pages from his file. One is in pre-TR times and the other about 1937. I assume the middle column lists his awards.

Can anyone help here? I would like to make a list of the awards but cannot make them all out.

Mike
                          Attached Files

Comment

God, I hate Sütterlin! Looks like he had a nice medal bar - EKII and Spange, Bavarian MVK III Class, Olympic Ehrenzeichen, Long service awards, Spanish war cross, wound badge, and an Italian order, plus lots I can't make out.

Don

Comment

There should be a typed page in the back where there may be a partial typed list of his awards.

I see EK I and II for WWI Service spanges for both, Bavarian Military Service award 3rd Class with a device, two WH long service awards, 1934 cross with swords, Olympic service, Wound badge in black, What looks like several Spanish and then later Italian awards. He was wounded at Poelkapelle March 16th, 1917

Wind up Naxos and let him go at it. He probably can read everything. This guy was well connected, was he minor nobility?

If you post a scan of just the lower awards on both sheets I probably can read them. The last one on the sheet with him in an overcoat is the Knights Cross of an order but I cannot make it out.
                              Last edited by Johnny R; 02-03-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

John,

Elsewhere in the file there are documents on two Italian awards he received. I cannot remember their names at the moment and my files are not here with me.

More later .....................

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X