Assault Gun Pionier Wrapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
    I hope that I do not act incorrectly in posting this and apologize to those concerned in advance if I do. http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=593

B. N. Singer
    Thanks Mr Singer, this is exactly the uniform from the USA and was in the collection of a fellow member here.

Virtual Grenadier has always very nice stuff for sale and always correct in the descriptions..... not common.
    Mike, if you are going to come to Militaria show in Novegro let me know, I'd like to meet you Sir.

Luca
    Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
      Johnny - you hit the nail on the head; this is our guy.

Yes, we have some other earlier-war photos that show him in a standard infantry-style tunic. Also, someone asked about wounds: yes, he was wounded a lot over his service time, including wounds in a leg that left the leg significantly shorter than his other leg (and he had to wear special shoes post-war, to compensate).

Per his service records, his really bad wounds seem to have taken place in August/September 1943 when his unit was at Kursk. As best I can tell, these wounds appear to be related to the combat engagement(s) for which he was awarded the DkiG (as the wound dates coincide with the DkiG award, and the DkiG was his last award). Also, he spent the balance of 1943 and some of 1944 in a hospital, so the wrapper uniform you see post-dates his last round of wounds. He never went back to 10 Pzr. Gren. Div. after the last wounds (I am not sure what unit he went to post-hospitalization, but it was on the Western Front per his relatives' recollections b/c he talked about late-war engagements against U.S. forces).

I had assumed with the "Panzer-wrap" jacket that he commanded Assault Guns and the winter photo was of some of "his" men. Possibly not?

So . . what was this guy? A panzer guy? An infantry guy? Was he ever a "Pioneer"?

Here he is in an infantry uniform in a May 31, 1942 dated photo.
      Based on the company/unit (9/20 GR) that he is reported with when he was awarded the DKiG, I would say he was line infantry (Mot) and then later Pz.Gren. I have several tunics and service records of officers that were badly wounded and then spent the rest of the War in training units/hospital etc. They usually were not promoted beyond Hauptmann and he is not listed in the late War lists for Major although not everyone is in there. The wraps were worn by all arms of service in the Army and as I mentioned were popular with Pz.Gren officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Luca Ongaro View Post
        Thanks Mr Singer, this is exactly the uniform from the USA...
        Luca
        Indeed they are a Very Uncommon variation, not found in many advanced wraparound collections.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Thank you for the kind words gents.

IMO, the gabardine wrap is not 'restored'. If I had thought that the case, I would have described it that thusly.

However, the national emblem application is unusual. Based on close inspection a) I do not believe it was applied by hand to simulate machine application, b) I cannot see sign of previous bird, and c) no lapel or lining seams appear to have been opened. Plus, I have seen these 'raw edge' national emblem applications before, but admittedly don't recall having seen such distance between stitches.

So, if this is a 'restored' item, the skills of the innovative tailors have moved beyond my ability to identify their handiwork.

In respect to gabardine wraps in general, I observed one other set to include trousers at 2009 SOS. I think Mr Singer may have seen this ste as well.

Close up of litzen tab - traces of the former 'Russia braid' application remain:
          Attached Files

Comment

Apologies - it is not my intent to hijack the thread.

National emblem application:
            Attached Files

Comment

Luca, great wrappers

the picture and garbadine stug wrap very nice aswell

Here is matching italian garbadine stug trousers..

Jens
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Jens. I only recall seeing one other pair. Would it be possible to see the markings?

Comment

Sure, here you go..

They are pretty salty
                  Attached Files

Comment

How many items in just one thread, I like it.
                    Nice pants Jens
                    Luca
                    Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

It sure is an interesting thread.. lots of nice items posted

Jens

Originally posted by Luca Ongaro View Post
                      How many items in just one thread, I like it.
                      Nice pants Jens
                      Luca

Comment

Thanks Jens. Quite rare.

Comment

Luca,

You can't keep making all your stug wraps pioneer...people will start getting suspicious. Just joking my friend, wonderful pieces, very rare, I think you should spread them around to other collections so we can all enjoy them. Congratulations on you lucrative searches.

Mike,

Sweet wrap, very unusually applied breast eagle, but credible. I do not believe that is hand stitching either, just from your photo. I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep them so uniform on the straight runs, plus the thread has to go in and back out the same hole. Machines can be adjusted to sew that widely, I have seen it before. Excellent piece, thanks for hijacking the thread.

Jens,

Killer pants, have a few spare pairs in a little better condition?

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
                            Mike,

Sweet wrap, very unusually applied breast eagle, but credible. I do not believe that is hand stitching either, just from your photo. I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep them so uniform on the straight runs, plus the thread has to go in and back out the same hole. Machines can be adjusted to sew that widely, I have seen it before. Excellent piece, thanks for hijacking the thread.

Richard
                            Thank you for the comments, I have opened a thread specifically on this topic here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post3896652

I hope that you and others with opinions will comment.

Comment

Mike,

Consider it done!

Comment

That earlier photo of our 1944 gabardine wrap-clad officer from the Panzergrenadiers or infantry or pioneers........is he wearing a Gebirgsjager or (maybe plain ol') Jager cap (photo from 1942)
                                And are those "galoshes" issue?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X