No announcement yet.

Assault Gun Pionier Wrapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun, here is one of the Assault Guns this soldier commanded on the Eastern Front.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
      ...Would it be accurate to describe the officer shown in the attached photo as being a "Pioneer"?

In the photos there appears to be black piping around his collar tabs, so I guess this would mean he was a "Pioneer"?

Thanks,

Alan
      In the picture, the hat piping, collar tabs and shoulder boards do not appear to have a black color. Although the wraparound itself is interesting and looks to be of a gabardine material.

B. N. Singer

Comment

The set is Italian material IMO, what is his last name, the DKiG list will name his unit. I agree he is not wearing black piping and has an IAB. Some officers had leg wounds etc. and transfered to other arms of service. Families also often get things wrong etc. or vets themselves may say something different after the War about what they did. Hard to say.

Comment

Note the Panzervernichtungsabzeichen on the sleeve!

Great pictures, thanks for showing - agree, there is no indication that he served as a Pionier.

Luca, incredible wrapper, congratulations

Comment

Luca

Amazing!!!!!!!jacket and congratulations in an awesome jacket ( BTW 2) jackets. I am opartial to pioneer as you know

Juan

Comment

The officer's name was Alois Meixlsperger. Yes, he is in the DkiG lists, as that is how I originally found his unit via a post on the Forum a few years ago.

The photo of him in uniform was, I believe, taken in late 1944. Attached is a scan showing the writing on the back of the photo/postcard, which I think he sent home as a Christmas card for 1944.

Thanks for the replies thus far: any further information you guys can discern from his uniform would be most appreciated. Yes, I agree - family members and or the vets (I am friends with his nephew) can get the story wrong, plus facts get distorted over 60 years or so.

Moderators: If I am hijacking this thread please let me know, and I'll do a separate thread elsewhere.

Thanks,

Alan
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                The set is Italian material IMO....
                You refer to “Italian gabardine” of course and NOT Italian wool (as is often found in M43 jackets).

B. N. Singer.

Comment

Okay, so he based on his rank and list info he probably was company commander of the 9th Company, 20th Gren Rgt. (Mot.) later 20th Panzergrenadier Rgt. when awarded the DKiG. The wrappers were popular with all arms etc. especially in motorized units. I would say he was an Infantry officer. IMO based on the cut and fit the uniform appears to be most likely tailor-made.

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
                    You refer to “Italian gabardine” of course and NOT Italian wool (as is often found in M43 jackets).

B. N. Singer.
                    Yes, that is correct.

Comment

What a rebel, he took his gloves off for the photo

Comment

Johnny - you hit the nail on the head; this is our guy.

Yes, we have some other earlier-war photos that show him in a standard infantry-style tunic. Also, someone asked about wounds: yes, he was wounded a lot over his service time, including wounds in a leg that left the leg significantly shorter than his other leg (and he had to wear special shoes post-war, to compensate).

Per his service records, his really bad wounds seem to have taken place in August/September 1943 when his unit was at Kursk. As best I can tell, these wounds appear to be related to the combat engagement(s) for which he was awarded the DkiG (as the wound dates coincide with the DkiG award, and the DkiG was his last award). Also, he spent the balance of 1943 and some of 1944 in a hospital, so the wrapper uniform you see post-dates his last round of wounds. He never went back to 10 Pzr. Gren. Div. after the last wounds (I am not sure what unit he went to post-hospitalization, but it was on the Western Front per his relatives' recollections b/c he talked about late-war engagements against U.S. forces).

I had assumed with the "Panzer-wrap" jacket that he commanded Assault Guns and the winter photo was of some of "his" men. Possibly not?

So . . what was this guy? A panzer guy? An infantry guy? Was he ever a "Pioneer"?

Here he is in an infantry uniform in a May 31, 1942 dated photo.
                        Attached Files

Comment

photo

Alan, that first photo you posted is one of the finest looking wrapper photos I've seen in a long time. Something to be proud of!! Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                            So . . what was this guy? A panzer guy? An infantry guy? Was he ever a "Pioneer"?
                            ... or cavalry... armoured reconnaissance ...or anti tank troop?
                            I vote for yellow piping
                            Very nice and interesting pictures Sir, thanks for share it.
                            I have seen just 2 unquestionable original wrappers made in gabardine in my life, one is in the USA and is restored, the other one a cavalry or reconnaissance, from a long time in a friend's collection here in Italy... I hope to be able to obtain it one day and to share it here.

Thanks for the comments everyone!!!

Luca
                            Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Originally posted by Luca Ongaro View Post
                              ... I have seen just 2 unquestionable original wrappers made in gabardine in my life, one is in the USA and is restored, the other one a cavalry or reconnaissance, from a long time in a friend's collection here in Italy...
                              Luca
                              I hope that I do not act incorrectly in posting this and apologize to those concerned in advance if I do. http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=593

B. N. Singer

Comment

Luca,

Thanks for the kind words and for not being offended at my having invited myself into your thread: I hope the photos and information are of interest to the uniform collectors.

Alan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X