Variations in U-Boat / Panzer Leather Wrappers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variations in U-Boat / Panzer Leather Wrappers

As we collectors focus more and more on minute manufacturing differences, I wanted to illustrate some variations in the leather U-boat wrappers.

Most of these wrappers were made by Rudolf Hiene of Prossnitz, in the Czech republic, though at least two other manufacturers produced them. Like the Prossnitz type, this set has not KM markings of any type.

Key findings:

- Buttons used on these varied greatly in size and type, from the type used on black panzer M43s to large flat types. They are both plastic and bakalite.

-The leather used was produced in thin types (most Prossnitz ones) and a thicker type more like a regular U-boat jacket or overcoat

- The liner material seems to be the same type in all these jackets: a coarse woven tan linen. It is identical in the probable German manufactured jacket with the large buttons shown here and the more common Prossnitz-type.

- The cut is identical on these jackets, but the attachments and closure details vary signiifcantly: pull tabs that are twice as wide as other variants, belts and buckles completely different in terms of stitching, width, size and type of grommets, and cut.

- The size markings conventions vary from the late war practice of two size markings to the full X type with sleeve, back, chest, ect.

Here's the trousers, and some detail differences:
    Attached Files

In the above pic, they look pretty much the same. Here's the belt and upper pocket button variations.
    Attached Files

Comment

Leg closure tabs: the larger buttons were used on the non-Prossnitz type
      Attached Files

Comment

button and leather differences: the Prossnitz (thinner) leather on the left -
        Attached Files

Comment

German M43-type buttons used on the non-Prossnitz (top) trousers -
          Attached Files

Comment

This is how the Prossnitz types are marked - note the lack of complete size markings. This partial or even single number size markings (I, II, III, IV, V) are typical for these garments.
            Attached Files

Comment

...and the X type seen in regular WH cloth trousers
              Attached Files

Comment

The jackets and trouser bodies are cut almost identically, with the same armpit vents, 12-grommet crotch vents, interior trouser and jacket pockets and sub-pockets, and tailor seams.

The buttons differ on the non-Prossnitz jackets, and so do their corresponding button holes.
                Attached Files

Comment

...button size difference (Prossnitz on left)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Again, as with the trousers this example on the right has full zie markings
                    Attached Files

Comment

Note the German-made jacket and trousers are dated 2X June, 1944. They are also marked to a Neumuenster manufacturing consortium.

Comment

Interesting thread and on subject never published in any detail.

The Hiene wrappers can also be found with some variation within themselves.

These include:

Some have a button hole (and corresponding button opposite) in the wearer's left side top lapel and some do not.

Some lapels ends are clearly more rounded and some pointed.

Leather quality varies

Shape of cut in the leather inner pocket reinforcing varies,some is straight and some is scalloped.

I'm probably forgetting some other differences...but these can kick it off.

The collars and lapels on the Crailsheim made leathers are larger by a fair amount than the Hiene origin wraps.

Like a LOT of later war made items, many of these sets were never issued and seem to have been captured in some bulk. IMO the number that were brought back by GIs is not reflective of the actual number that were made....meaning that there were fewer made than the % that we see here in the U.S. today...they are not real common but are not rare either.

Comment

Thanks for the contribution to this thread; I know you follow these uniform items with some interest and have made a good study of them. I've seen the variations you describe, except I've not personally observed the pointed collars and the only time I've seen the chest buttons absent if when they were removed.

There's been discussion on the chest buttons, and I'm not sure what they're for. I would suggest either flashlights, or perhaps for the leather tab on binoculars designed to keep them from swinging around ones neck.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                            Thanks for the contribution to this thread; I know you follow these uniform items with some interest and have made a good study of them. I've seen the variations you describe, except I've not personally observed the pointed collars and the only time I've seen the chest buttons absent if when they were removed.

There's been discussion on the chest buttons, and I'm not sure what they're for. I would suggest either flashlights, or perhaps for the leather tab on binoculars designed to keep them from swinging around ones neck.
                            I agree with you about the standard attachment of the two chest buttons at the time of manufacture. When not present, in my view, it is because they were removed at some point and not left off when made.

I was speaking of the button hole sometimes found in the top corner area of the wearer's left lapel and a button under the collar on the right side to button the lapels closed.

Comment

Very interesting, but I would like to know why some people think and say that this is a Kriegsmarine uniform. I have seen some pictures of U-Boot men using this kind of jacket, but very few, and IMO this is not a KM uniform. Do you have any reference or regulation to say this?.
                              Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X