Brandenburg Cufftitle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandenburg Cufftitle

I thought I'd post some pictures of my favorite cufftitle for Division Brandenburg. The unit was incorporated into PanzerKorps Grossdeutschland in 44/45. The cufftitle was authorized for wear by OKH on 17 Aug 44. There is some confusion among the various reference books as to the base color of the cufftitle being described as black or dark green. The latest Bender book on cufftitles says black whereas earlier Bender books state dark green. My cufftitle is made from a heavy dark green wool. Heres Pic 1.
    Attached Files

Brandenburg CT

Picture 2
    Attached Files

Comment

brandenburg ct

Picture 3
      Attached Files

Comment

brandenburg ct

Picture 4
        Attached Files

Comment

brandenburg ct

Picture 5
          Attached Files

Comment

brandenburg ct

Picture 6
            Attached Files

Comment

brandenburg ct

Picture 7
              Attached Files

Comment

brandenburg ct

Picture 8
                Attached Files

Comment

brandenburg ct

Last picture
                  Attached Files

Comment

Brandenburg CT

I'm actually very comfortable with this CT.Everything tells me its a good piece.The one from George Petersons collection was also dark green and is shown in the Bender series on Heer uniforms. The leGarde book on German uniforms also shows the base color as Dark green. However like you I am confused why there is so much conflicting information out there. Doesn't seem feasible that they produced the CT in both colors, but I guess its possible.As far as I know theres only one picture of it in wear and it really doesn't help since the dark green shows up as black in BW photos.I'll see if the 3 Vol history on GD helps .Jim
                    Last edited by CSP; 06-22-2009, 07:28 AM.

Comment

brandenburg

Hi Scott,

I’m afraid that Helmuth Spaeter does nothing to resolve the issue in Vol III of Pz Korps GD. He only states that they were issued a CT and allowed to wear the GD ciphers.

However I think if you look at the history of the Brandenburg Div there is probably more of an argument to support a Dark Green base color than the Black one. Brandenburg never had an affiliation with GD until late 1944. Prior to April 43 the Brandenburgers were composed of numerous specialized units operating throughout the various German theater of operations. On 1 April 1943 they were formed into Division Brandenburg Z.B.Z. As Div Brandenburg there was a strong tie to the traditions of the German Jagers.In fact Von Sauken the GD korps Commander referred to it as the former Jager Division Brandenburg when he issued his order of the day establishing Pz Korp GD in Dec 44.

The Brandenburg CT was authorized by OKH on 17 August 44 .At this time there was nothing associating the Brandenburgers with GD. It wasn’t until 13 Sept that the secret order from OKW established PZ Gren Div Brandenburg and incorporated it into PZ Korps GD as its second Div. I’m assuming at the time the CT was authorized that an approved design for it was in place. Given the Brandenburgers affiliation with the Jager arm dark-green would seem to be a logical choice as the color for the CT. Since we don’t know when the first Cts were issued, the case can be made that they weren’t issued until they were incorporated into Pz Korp GD.In that case the black would make sense following the lines of other GD CTs. However the Brandenburgers were proud of their Jager heritage and continued to wear their Jager patches. In fact thetwo Pz-gren. Rgtsof the Division were called Jager rgts. Even as members of GD they maintained their identity as Jagers.

Heres the picture of DELAGARDES CT. Definitely dark Green.

Oh from the few good Inf Rgt list Cts I've seen the dark Green base mateial is identical to the Brandenburger CT I'm showing.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by CSP; 06-22-2009, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Brandenburg CT

Heres the only picture I'm aware of that shows the CT in wear. I think he got his oakleaves in 45 after they were incorporated into Pz Korp GD. He wears his Jager patch but I can't see any GD ciphers.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Brandenburg CT

I tried to do some cropping of the above picture to see if there was anyway to distinguish the dark green from black. If there is my eyes can't make it out but I'll post the pics anyway.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Brandenburg CT

Originally posted by djpool
                            I tried to do some cropping of the above picture to see if there was anyway to distinguish the dark green from black. If there is my eyes can't make it out but I'll post the pics anyway.
                            Pic 2
                            Attached Files

Comment

Brandenburg CT

Last picture
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X