This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
    So it was subcontractors and not Pack that cast the scabbard fittings and sheet metal sheath? An interesting concept - but what exactly led you to that conclusion? As for the theory that the emblem was silver plated I see some problems. I can see cavities and very protected areas where there is no silver plating. As well as what looks like black paint that would have covered up and protecting any plating if it had been there. That said, I also have some badges myself worn on service uniforms where the plating has worn off showing a copper color, but the silver is still very intact in protected areas. Fred
    Frogprince , Iam not sure if you are familiar with German insignia , but here for example, is a picture of the insignia of a Police Sword .... Iam sorry but in my eyes there is no residue of a silver finish , which it would have had when it was distributed . If you need further pics please left me know . I also support the view that this dagger is correct .
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your assessment, Jerry. Now can you give us your professional take on the second example in this thread ?

Comment

No thanks, This nonsense is becoming boring. Looking at childish junk people are willing to spend thousands on..amusing. No one wants to address real issues. It's all smoke and mirrors and of course cash. I am no expert on these daggers..just an outsider looking in. No dog in this scrap. Likely many here have observed 10 times more than I have but it still amazes me that the Emperor has no clothes and no one seems to notice. Or care. It's grab the "prototype!" It used to be quality sells..now it's junk. The more questionable the better. The story..is selling once again. The more things change the more they stay the same.
        You looked at this for 30 seconds and declared it gold? I am so happy I don't have that much experience.

Comment

A grip eagle assessment on the 2nd shown SS shouldn't be all that difficult for you................... would it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Burney View Post
            No thanks, This nonsense is becoming boring. Looking at childish junk people are willing to spend thousands on..amusing. No one wants to address real issues. It's all smoke and mirrors and of course cash. I am no expert on these daggers..just an outsider looking in. No dog in this scrap. Likely many here have observed 10 times more than I have but it still amazes me that the Emperor has no clothes and no one seems to notice. Or care. It's grab the "prototype!" It used to be quality sells..now it's junk. The more questionable the better. The story..is selling once again. The more things change the more they stay the same.
            You looked at this for 30 seconds and declared it gold? I am so happy I don't have that much experience.
            Jerry,
            You got it.
            The rare collector blade field is no different these days than other rare collector fields.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/02/how-co...g-enthusiasts/

'It's all about the Benjamin's'.

-Serge

Comment

Originally posted by Serge M. View Post
              Jerry,
              You got it.
              The rare collector blade field is no different these days than other rare collector fields.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/02/how-co...g-enthusiasts/

'It's all about the Benjamin's'.

-Serge
              After reading the forum ''rules '' which state a user may be a moderator when they are '' particularly helpful & knowledgeable in the subject '' how can you then voice an opinion.... when there is clearly no-one , including you , who is knowledgeable in the subject . Just asking ?
              Regards Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by JR. View Post
                "And as far as I know he is on the East Coast while I'm on the West Coast, so it's not like I have an immediate personal safety problem that has to be dealt with. Fred"

Oh................. brother.
                JR, I did not and wasn’t going to loose any sleep over it, just highlighting the implications of guys who seem to fixate on something. So let me ask you a question: It was a quite while ago, but wasn’t it a friend/business associate of yours that was in a fight that took place in a restroom at a show? Or was that just a rumor? Fred
                Last edited by Frogprince; 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

JR, I wasn’t and did not loose any sleep over it, just highlighting the implications of guys who seem to fixate on something. So let me ask you a question: It was a quite while ago, but wasn’t it a friend/business associate of yours that was in a fight that took place in a restroom at a show? Or was that just a rumor? Fred

Par for the course, Fred............... fake news as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Co. View Post
                    After reading the forum ''rules '' which state a user may be a moderator when they are '' particularly helpful & knowledgeable in the subject '' how can you then voice an opinion.... when there is clearly no-one , including you , who is knowledgeable in the subject . Just asking ?
                    Regards Steve.
                    Steve,
                    Like anyone else, moderators have a right for a opinion too.
                    Mods don't have to be experts on the subject. I'm not a expert, as I'm still learning.
                    That said, I've seen a lot.

-Serge

Comment

Frogprince , Iam not sure if you are familiar with German insignia , but here for example, is a picture of the insignia of a Police Sword .... Iam sorry but in my eyes there is no residue of a silver finish , which it would have had when it was distributed . If you need further pics please left me know . I also support the view that this dagger is correct .
                      I am familiar enough with the German Police swords, and it’s not the same thing. The Police swords were 1938 and later, and Solingen makers sometimes used really, really light or even skipped plating. That was not the situation when the NSDAP took control of Germany. Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                        For such a small number of these daggers made by Pack would you expect there to be any variation with the maker mark. The mark on this dagger has the foot over the letter L, the mark on the axishistory dagger has the foot over the letter S.

Russ.
                        A very good observation that I missed. Fred

Comment

I am familiar enough with the German Police swords, and it’s not the same thing. The Police swords were 1938 and later, and Solingen makers sometimes used really, really light or even skipped plating. That was not the situation when the NSDAP took control of Germany. Fred
                          Yes it is the same thing .... and why was the situation different when the NSDAP took control of Germany . I was not aware of any metal shortages in Germany in 1938 ..

Comment

Originally posted by JR. View Post
                            Par for the course, Fred............... fake news as usual.
                            Maybe so, I remember something about him denying it, but was never quite sure if that was him putting his own spin on the story or not. But I'm sure you would be closer than me as just an observer. Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Serge M. View Post
                              Steve,
                              Like anyone else, moderators have a right for a opinion too.
                              Mods don't have to be experts on the subject. I'm not a expert, as I'm still learning.
                              That said, I've seen a lot.

-Serge
                              Serge , I agree you have the right to an opinion , but the crux of it is to be ''knowledgeable & helpful '' which iam sorry to say .. you are not ( in this particular thread ).

That sounds a bit harsh , but it is true by your own admission .
                              I believe younger collectors would see your posts and think '' he is a moderator & he must know what he is talking about'' and then dismiss the proposed piece .

regards Steve.

Comment

Yes it is the same thing .... and why was the situation different when the NSDAP took control of Germany . I was not aware of any metal shortages in Germany in 1938 ..
                                Lets not answer the hard questions as the trademark.. But I already know the explanation for that...
                                Ok everyone as usual ignores my posts .
                                But Steve Co. You are totally incorrect in your statment.
                                Not all documents and answers are on wikipedia etc..
                                There are invoices from that time period showing that when companies sold items export they wanted to be paid in COPPER ...
                                Do you venture to guess why that is???
                                Why were the customers complaining about the plating not holding up...
                                Do you and the other forum posters understand the connection...
                                But I'm laying it out on a silver platter so to speak..
                                I know one for sure who does..
                                Steve Co. I realize you can't know everything, do you??
                                If you do know everything please tell us more as we all like to know and I would think the mod. for this thread will listen and not insult you..
                                Put please answer the question on the copper... What would you do if I posted the document??
                                Would you say yes I do not know it all about german daggers and would you say yes like many poster I'm still learning new things???
                                Please do not get upset as I and others just know something you do not..
                                Last edited by damasco; 03-03-2019, 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X