Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I just now stated in post # 103:
    Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
    PS: If anyone questions the accuracy of the images that may be a valid objection, with the obvious solution new updated images to take their place. FP
    And if that is what Alex was told and believes that is where he is at. But that doesn't mean it automatically becomes a fact without proof of some kind. There also seems to be a misperception that whatever may have been done to the dagger was recent. That was never stated to be the case. And many items that periodically turn up have been altered years or even decades ago. FP

Comment

Originally posted by eldenwaff View Post
      Sounds like you are bucking for a banning of anyone with an opinion different from your own - Hope you never become a mod !
      A mods job is to ensure forum rules are followed, not to regulate debate or stamp out opinions, educated or not.
      Seems to me valid points were raised in lieu of better pics ,,, And I also find it nearly impossible to believe that the paper "proof" of ownership of this dagger was haphazardly sold separately, even back in the 1960's just about anyone would have known better than to do that.
      I may not be educated but at least I do not live in my parents basement at 45 years of age. LOLO

Comment

Sounds like you are bucking for a banning of anyone with an opinion different from your own - Hope you never become a mod !
        A mods job is to ensure forum rules are followed, not to regulate debate or stamp out opinions, educated or not.
        Seems to me valid points were raised in lieu of better pics ,,, And I also find it nearly impossible to believe that the paper "proof" of ownership of this dagger was haphazardly sold separately, even back in the 1960's just about anyone would have known better than to do that.
        Well said!!! Better now than it has been in the past, the forum has seen things like the termination of a topic to protect one or more individuals from uncomfortable questions as it related to certain items. And even one I remember where the poster got the topic completely removed (presumably) to protect something he had just purchased, although I think perhaps not soon enough. And how is a rigid "thought police" reputation going to protect or encourage the new collectors who are seeking answers or advice on how to not get taken advantage of??? FP

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
          Well said!!! Better now than it has been in the past, the forum has seen things like the termination of a topic to protect one or more individuals from uncomfortable questions as it related to certain items. And even one I remember where the poster got the topic completely removed (presumably) to protect something he had just purchased, although I think perhaps not soon enough. And how is a rigid "thought police" reputation going to protect or encourage the new collectors who are seeking answers or advice on how to not get taken advantage of??? FP
          Yep, whats his name ought to be careful, because sometimes you get what you ask for.
          Get a rigid authority here to really keep things in line, sooner or later his own toes are going to get stepped on.
          I don't agree with some who say out of the blue "blah ! Don't like it ! No good !!" and proceed to give no reasoning behind their negative opinion. You guys gave reasoning, used critical thinking with the info and photos that were known at the time, I can't see the slightest reason why those views should be stepped on.

OP should be happy with this thread, when he posts it on the estand he can use it as a reference in his sales pitch - Too bad about that missing authenticating photo though !

Comment

Yep, whats his name ought to be careful, because sometimes you get what you ask for.
            Get a rigid authority here to really keep things in line, sooner or later his own toes are going to get stepped on.
            I don't agree with some who say out of the blue "blah ! Don't like it ! No good !!" and proceed to give no reasoning behind their negative opinion. You guys gave reasoning, used critical thinking with the info and photos that were known at the time, I can't see the slightest reason why those views should be stepped on.

OP should be happy with this thread, when he posts it on the estand he can use it as a reference in his sales pitch - Too bad about that missing authenticating photo though !
            The hobby would likely be better off if all of these type of threads were gone. Critical thinking is one thing but as Mac noted, when you constantly attack every piece you do harm and no good.

Comment

I think everyone has the right, to create his own opinion.
              We are all different, someone like a dagger, someone not.
              Such is the world.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi

Comment

Originally posted by Schlange View Post
                I think everyone has the right, to create his own opinion.
                We are all different, someone like a dagger, someone not.
                Such is the world.

Schlange

http://www.mojalbum.com/schlange88/albumi

Yes off course as long there is no Troll behaviour

Nuff said !

Comment

Originally posted by eiger View Post
                  So,
                  this should be my last answer! Dr Dolch and the frog made an mistake!
                  First i dont want to sell this dagger! And the hole dagger was Never Never cleaned!
                  I have this dagger from a friend and i know this dagger since many years!
                  And i know this dagger since he bought it and if Dr dolch and the frog say
                  that this dagger was tarted up they are knowless.
                  I am collecting daggers since many years you can believe me this Fittings are iron nickel plated. And many or all iron nickel plated i have seen havnt patina.
                  Dont asked me why i dont know. And my friend is in Gb war and piece Show and he Hopes to See the pic collector he sold the pictures and so on cause i told him the Story. And i want the pics.
                  At the war and piece Show he sold the pics because he need the money and he Never want to sell the dagger. But know i bought it.
                  Believe me or not it is your Choice!

And sorry again my english is incorrect!
                  Regards sleep well
                  Originally posted by The Red Baron View Post
                  The hobby would likely be better off if all of these type of threads were gone. Critical thinking is one thing but as Mac noted, when you constantly attack every piece you do harm and no good.
                  I’m taking Alex at his word that he never worked on the dagger himself and that it’s just the same as he first saw it when his friend owned it. But I’m not really sure of just what his intent was when he said that there is no patina, and therefore it’s all nickel plated? Apologizing in advance if it’s a misunderstanding on my part. So I’m going to post one more picture to clarify a point of view - trying to keep it easily understood by everyone.

While relatively immune to oxidation itself especially thin nickel plating is porous, and once the plating is penetrated by moisture it can bubble, lift, peel, and fall away from the base metal. With the picture here showing a connector link with a patch of bare metal surrounded by plating. And where you see by the pitting/discoloration etc. at one time it was rusted which can range from red to black etc. Not an attack - simply an explanation. And if someone disagrees they can take if from here as to why. And where exactly is the logic in treating collectors like mushrooms by withholding information and keeping them in the dark as to how to detect visible signs that an item is not as it left the factory??? FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X