Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himmler Dagger For Review

Hello,
    I have recently come into possession of this Himmler dagger. From my research this maybe one of the nicest daggers out there????? The dagger has an almost perfect handle. The blade has runner marks but it has been left in the condition I received it.

It has never been messed from what I can tell. Give me your thoughts.

Thanks
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jQ&usp=sharing

Last edited by DCJL; 01-08-2014, 07:11 PM. Reason: Didnt do it right.

Looks like a beauty to me .

Comment

Congrats on an amazing dagger!!!!

Comment

Very nice, but most of them are in this condition. Evidently, since most of those who received these daggers already had an SS M33 Dagger, they didn't wear the Himmler.

Comment

Beautiful piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
            Very nice, but most of them are in this condition. Evidently, since most of those who received these daggers already had an SS M33 Dagger, they didn't wear the Himmler.
            This is very true. These pieces are often beautiful.

Comment

Hi Ron,
              years ago you statet that the short hanger on Himmler daggers are stamped like the same number as the stamp on the lower crossguard!
              Are i am correct here ?
              Best.

Comment

Originally posted by tobau View Post
                Hi Ron,
                years ago you statet that the short hanger on Himmler daggers are stamped like the same number as the stamp on the lower crossguard!
                Are i am correct here ?
                Best.
                Yes this is "true." But it seems that this either was not an absolute, most of the hangers have been replaced or the light stamp in the leather wore off on most; or more likely a combination of all of the above.

Comment

OW I am in love!

Comment

Number

Thanks Red Baron, that is my answer. While I have seen this in the past, it is rare to find the number intact on the tip of the underside of the hanger. It was the same size as on the crossguard marking and, hence, disappears quickly with time and wear. When you encounter M33 single strap SS Hangers that show signs of the RZM stamped mark on the underside of the hanger, even in mint or near mint condition, these are hard to read. Just a factor of stamping on the raw side of leather.

Comment

I agree with the rest looks like a great piece to me. And interesting fact Ron, about them not being worn.

Comment

Red and Ron,thanks for reply.

Best.

Comment

Indeed a beautiful piece; the quality and the condition are superb! And I very much like Ron's reasoning for why such pieces as these are usually found in such excellent condition...since they would have been kept in a drawer as a souvenir.

Br. James

Comment

I would think most dagger were in good shape at wars end to a degree.And the patination fittings comes with time.I also doubt that Himmler daggers meant little to GI's at the time.How many could read German?So why are most of them in pristine condition.Remember Audie Murphy gave his medals to his nephews to play with and what would they be worth? Were only200 originals given out indeed? and the rest consrtucted like Gau marked chained SS daggers as some believe.For that matter if Gau marked type 1 were made post war peraps textbook type 1 were made post war also.Somethng to think about.
                            Last edited by DR DOLCH; 01-10-2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DR DOLCH View Post
                              I would think most dagger were in good shape at wars end to a degree.And the patination fittings comes with time.I also doubt that Himmler daggers meant little to GI's at the time.How many could read German?So why are most of them in pristine condition.Remember Audie Murphy gave his medals to his nephews to play with and what would they be worth? Were only200 originals given out indeed? and the rest consrtucted like Gau marked chained SS daggers as some believe.For that matter if Gau marked type 1 were made post war peraps textbook type 1 were made post war also.Somethng to think about.
                              I'm not too sure what your talking about in this post but if I think I understand you, I think I disagree haha.

Ron's point, a correct one, is that these pieces were given to SS men who already had M33's to wear and thus set these away at home, thus not suffering wear. As for patination, I believe we all know that they were not patinated at the wars end. Finally, there substantially more than 200 of these pieces produces, try thousands; as for your reference to post war assembly I have no idea what you're talking aobut enough to present an argument.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X