No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe dagger 1st model, Robert Klaas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks to me that all the fittings are midperiod. Apparently the original scabbard leather has been replaced with this here aligator skin. Moroccan pebble grain leather should have been used.

Comment

Rare??

Originally posted by WW2-Collector View Post
      Stamped mark is correct on the Klass 1st model. Scabbard leather does not match handle either recovered or the scabbard was married to the dagger
      Nice daggers Ron & ww2-Coll

Thanks for your opinions!
      I am happy the dagger & scabbard was no fake, not loosing so much money.....
      Just have to live whith the scabbard

When i search the web, I dont find many Klaas, LW 1st.
      And the ones that i find are expensive, and not mint.

Are they rare?

Comment

WW2-collector: Your dagger has a nickel silver fitted hilt and a scabbard with steel fittings and aluminum chain. I have seen this combination on several occasions in the past. I feel that it was highly probable that there was a transition period where the early production parts were used up. The edict that was issued to discontinue the use of nickel silver only affected the manufacturing of new parts but did not affect the assembly of existing stock until it was exhausted.

Comment

Originally posted by cogwheel View Post
          It looks to me that all the fittings are midperiod. Apparently the original scabbard leather has been replaced with this here aligator skin. Moroccan pebble grain leather should have been used.
          Aligator skin?
          Good eye there if its right
          Dagger and scabbard more worth in aligator skin?

Comment

Spencer: Your dagger is not a fake. But whoever replaced the scabbard leather made a poor choice.

Comment

Originally posted by cogwheel View Post
              Spencer: Your dagger is not a fake. But whoever replaced the scabbard leather made a poor choice.
              Thanks everybody for your opinions!
              Too bad with the scabbard leather, but it is what it is..

Now I can sleep good at night

/spencer

Comment

Luftwaffe dagger 2 type?

For me loooks good but I'm just learning about daggers.
                I start post with similar one, but I think second pattern...
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...78#post5731578

KR
                Last edited by Oscar; 02-07-2013, 07:48 AM. Reason: mistake in posts

Comment

For clarification, this leather is not real aligator skin but is regular leather with aligator pattern imparted.

Comment

I used to own an unmarked 1st luft with this type of scabbard leather. It was obtained directly from the vet's family and it was untouched. Wittmann also had one for sale recently with this type of covering and in his description he said it was ostrich skin.
                    I think the scabbard leather of the dagger posted by spencer88 is period original.
                    Last edited by dutchdrummer; 02-08-2013, 09:56 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by dutchdrummer View Post
                      I used to own an unmarked 1st luft with this type of scabbard leather. It was obtained directly from the vet's family and it was untouched. Wittmann also had one for sale recently with this type of covering and in his description he said it was ostrich skin.
                      I think the scabbard leather of the dagger posted by spencer88 is period original.

I too have seen this type leather on other 1st lufts in other collections and at MAX and SOS shows in the past.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X