X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo 8
    Attached Files

Comment

I like both of yours Bill - both period saw-backs IMO (however, it looks like you have a LW NCO strap & knot on the long model).

Comment

Scott,
        Thanks for the words of encouragement. I thought they were Ok but it is nice to get verification. As for the knot, yes I know it is the wrong knot. Came with the bayonet and have just not had the time or inclination to switch it to a Luft. bayonet.

Bill

Comment

Retoothed Sawback.

Bill,
          with my Eickhorn the suspicion the blade was retoothed was brought to my attention by George Wheeler who I regard as an expert. I tried to find the actual post he made it was on BCN. I had posted the bayonet for comments. If I remember correctly he didnt like the teeth they were curved wheras they should have been straighter and more pointed, I think the actual number of teeth was also an issue. I have several sawbacks they are the only non nazi era item I collect. I have a couple of 84-98's a 98-05 and an etched KS98. I sold the Eickhorn on ebay for a loss. Apparently reworked Sawbacks are fairly common as they command a higher price than normal bayonets.I examined the 2 blades you posted the bottom blade appears to have teeth that are slightly curved when compared to the other blade. Now dont take my observation as a statement the bayonet is not original, its only an observation. Whether you have it looked into is up to you. Ive bought so many fakes, refurbished etc items that I know I am no expert. You do learn by experience so I hope I have gained some knowledge. Here are some of my Sawbacks, I really have a liking for them.
          cheers Robert
          Attached Files
          Last edited by RobertCOUTTS; 07-28-2008, 09:21 PM. Reason: add photograph

Comment

Hello Interesting thread. Robert do you have any additional photos of the Eickhorn. It looks like it have a lot more teeth than on my Eickhorn. Thanks for posting your nice bayonets Bill. Kirby

Comment

Hello
              Sawtooth are not post war bur war time. You can find dress bayonets with or without sawback blade. It is the same for for some regular combat bayonets during WWI.
              Buckle1 your firemen knives are beautiful.

Best regards
              Alain

Comment

Teeth

Kirby,
                hi again my Eickhorn had if I remember correctly 38 teeth which was too many my other ones which are similar types have 32/34 teeth, the Scabbard was also unusual it had a different throat to all my other Sawbacks as I only have owned 7 all up its hardly a large pool from which to draw inferences. This shows the teeth better
                cheers Robert
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello The blade on your looks a lot newer than on my bayonet. Bill may be right and if the sawtooth was added to your blade it may have been refinished. Kirby

Comment

Robert, Kirby,
                    I went back and looked at the long bladed saw-tooth. The teeth are in fact straight but the tops of some of the teeth are blunted due to cutting into the top of the scabbard slot.

I read somewhere that the fake saw-backs were in fact taken apart, teeth cut and then replated and put back together again. A lot of work for a relatively small profit if true.

Bill

Comment

Hello Bill Robert Here's a Sawtooth firemans I just got as part of a deal i'm doing. I have never seen this trademark before. KIrby
                      Attached Files

Comment

trademark
                        Attached Files

Comment

nice scabbard and knot
                          Attached Files

Comment

The frog is marked JBA 1941
                            Attached Files

Comment

The blade is much nicer than the photos show
                              Attached Files

Comment

Dagger

Hi,
                                this is makers markings I have never seen either, does anyone know the name of the maker.
                                cheers Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X