Early Eickhorn Sawtooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Eickhorn Sawtooth

Hello I picked up this bayonet last week. I don't usually collect bayonets but a sawtooth for around the price of a regular bayonet. What i've found is it may be a late WWI or more likely a Weimer era peice. If anyone knows what period Eickhorn uses this trade mark would be helpful. Kirby
    Attached Files

Markings
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kirby
            This bayonet is dress bayonet from WWI. I have got the same pattern with the same maker but without sawback blade.
            Regards
            Alain

Comment

Sawback

Hi,
              I have a thing for sawbacks too, this is Eickhorns first trademark for Dress Bayonets in use from 1906-1921. I recently bought a sawback with same trademark upon further investigation it turned out to be a normal dress bayonet retoothed. I only paid around $160.00 for it so i wasnt too angry. Apparently this happens quite often. Im not saying yours is the same hopefully its the real deal, dont tell me you bought it off ebay the person I bought mine off had another the same the next week with the same spiel, very rare very desireable, anyhow heres the one I bought which was a fake.
              cheers robert
              Attached Files
              Last edited by RobertCOUTTS; 07-28-2008, 05:59 AM. Reason: add photograph

Comment

Hello Thanks for the info. I didn't buy it off ebay. So your saying your is an original thats been reworked into a sawtooth? Kirby

Comment

Robert,

I read with interest your comments to Kirby on the saw tooth bayonet you have that had the teeth cut post war? or at a later date and not factory done. I am am enclosing photos of two fireman's dress bayonets with saw-tooth blades. One is a long model marked J.A. Henckels Solingen and #'d 127 on the blade and the scabbard top(not shown in the photos). The second is a short model w/double edged point(a hard variant to find I believe in a Firemans bayonet). It is marked Tiger Soligen on the obverse and has the Tiger logo on the reverse. Both bayonets are heavy w/magnetic hilts and cross guards.

How does one tell if these are original or fake? I would think that cutting teeth in a plated blade would really mess up the plating, or do they replate the entire blade, which would require taking the bayonet apart? Looking at the photos what do you or anyone eles for that matter think about these two bayonets.
                  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
                  Attached Files

Comment

photo 2
                    Attached Files

Comment

Photo 3
                      Attached Files

Comment

Photo 4
                        Attached Files

Comment

Photo 5
                          Attached Files

Comment

Photo 6
                            Attached Files

Comment

Photo 7
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X