No announcement yet.

Minty SA just arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very beautiful dagger you scored, congratulations!
    However I would not rate it "mint", due to spots and a ding in the scabbard and maybe some excessive cleaning of the nickel-silver parts.

Best regards,

Victorman

Comment

yes far from MINT, the dent on the scabbard were usually caused from an EISENBAHN door closing on it when entering it, same on K98, bayonets and sometimes on swprds.

Comment

Ok for me it’s in the top bracket for my collection . The minor dent on the scabbard I didn’t think of that and makes perfect sense.

Comment

very nice condition !

Comment

Originally posted by HAF View Post
            very nice condition !
            Agree, a very nice dagger.

Comment

Well, the definition of „mint“ is a rather subjective assessment. I for myself would not call this one mint, because the blade and other parts have been excessively polished. I can’t see any crossgrain on the blade anymore. Thus I would not call it „mint“. Anyhow, tastes are different

Comment

A very nice piece, produced for SA-Gruppe Westmark from their original dagger orders in late 1933. This effort from the Grafrath Brothers of Solingen rates #6 on the McSARR chart -- not 'rare' by any means, but not 'common,' either. Again, very nice.

Br. James

Comment

It is sure real beauty!

Comment

Question is from my side if the blade was polished , cleaned to such a extent why is the lettering still perfect ?

Comment

I think the crossgrain is there, it may be the lighting. You guys should see some really beat items that people describe as "mint" at least this one is excellent plus plus.-- nice dagger.

Comment

Originally posted by chris clark View Post
                        Question is from my side if the blade was polished , cleaned to such a extent why is the lettering still perfect ?
                        That’s an interesting question. I have seen another SA in the past with the same thing: almost no visible crossgrain but letters perfect without any sign of polishing.

would like to hear how this can be explained. Could it be that not all SA daggers were produced with a lot of crossgrain?

Regards
                        Danny

Comment

Stunning blade. Probably in the top 1-3% in regards to condition that I've ever seen, or accustomed to seeing posted or offered.

Comment

I personally don't think this blade was pollished. I think the crossgrain is just lighter than we normally see. As I said in my previous post, I've seen very light crossgrain before in combination with a perfectly executed (unpollished) motto. JMHO. Regards,
                            Danny

Comment

A better quality blade is one that has had more time spent on it with finer and finer grinding and polishing wheels, therefore leaving less visible crossgrain. As long as it has not been polished out post-war a blade like this one is more desirable than a one with more courser visible crossgrain. Shame about the scabbard ding, but nice dagger.

Russ.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X