No announcement yet.

The Funkeruhr and timekeeping of communication troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just discussing the purchase of the Junghans Funkeruhr (see pics) - just wondered whether you guys could give me any advise as to its condition and value? He is asking for $499 (About £353 or EURO 453).

Any help would be appreciated on this if possible?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Looks like the lume may have been redone and case looks very clean but yes looks good

Comment

I asked the guy about the repainting of the numbers of the clock - this was his reply:

You see, all Germany and Soviet clocks made during 40's and till the middle 50's with luminous digits / hands have a paint which contains radium - so all these clocks have high enough level of radioactivity, which is higher than allowed by modern standards 30 µSv. That's why original radium-contained luminous paint was replaced with modern, non-radioactivity paint. It's a common procedure for all such clocks, otherwise it's not possible even ship it, cuz parcel with such clock will be stopped by customs office, and then destroyed.

Is this true does anyone know?

Comment

Mmmmmmm sounds strange as radium depletes after 25 years a lot of these clocks and watches out of soviet states have the lume done it depends if you want something totally original or not I have a junghans with original lume and under darkness still glows very faintly

Comment

For that kind of money i think i would prefer to find one as 'original' as possible to be honest as i don't know whether it would detract from the value of the piece

Comment

Yes I got mine at a military fair for £190 a month ago but there are fetching good money ebay is sometimes not the cheapest place

Comment

Looks like the wooden case is a replica, an original "Heer" version should have a Wa.A stamp on the bottom so check it out. Plenty of clocks with original faceplates around, so I think the radon story is a bit of BS, just a clockmaker trying to scare a previous owner into spending more money and ruining the faceplate and hands in the process. The housing of the movement is incorrect as well, so the clock has far too many issues to warrent that sort of price tag. Worth about 1/3 of the asking price if you ask me....

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Thank you both for your help - I had my doubts but always best to ask questions from more knowledgeable people such as your kind selves..... i shall continue my search for a decent timepiece, fingers crossed i shall find a seller who has a honest item

Comment

Your welcome the other guy is really the one with all the knowledge but yes go with something that's all working untouched looks right [emoji1] [emoji106]

Comment

If anyone does see or hear of a decent funkeruhr for sale, if they could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it

Comment

I agree, clock is **** and not worth a quarter

Comment

Junghans 1940 army

Here is an Junghans 1940 army clock

Comment

Junghans 1937 army clock

Junghans 1937 army clock

Comment

Junghans 1942 army clock

Junghans 1942 army clock

Comment

Köhler & Co army 1940

In my opinion one of the rarest radio station clocks because it have the correct early dial which have different looking numbers !!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X