another "unknown" M40 tropical cap name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
    Would certainly agree about being careful and the possibility of a new generation of superb fakes. If they are then the faker(s) really got their ducks in a row by accomplishing many crucial details that make this particular style cap hard to duplicate. The acquisition of the raw materials alone is noteworthy. When I think of state of the art repros I think Japan these days.... they are WW II fanatics and have terrific materials.

Robt.
    They are fakes Robert, all of them caps number 1,2 & 3 and this one. They are made in Germany by a dealer with a life time accumulation of original materials or close substitutes for what was used war-time.

Do not buy the caps or tangle with him. Both can result in bad out comes.

Regards, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
      They are fakes Robert, all of them caps number 1,2 & 3 and this one. They are made in Germany by a dealer with a life time accumulation of original materials or close substitutes for what was used war-time.

Do not buy the caps or tangle with him. Both can result in bad out comes.

Regards, Chris
      Just BS stories Chris. Not just talk this time. Prove It !

Comment

Hi Mark

Thanks, Agree the bulk of M40's were made with sweatbands and without soutache. M40's with the sweatband were worn not just in Afrika but the Balkans, Russia, Italy, & France so the number could exceed a 1,000,000 caps easily. The average EM turnover was less than 6 months in Afrika and much less for officer's.

Also agree it's better to stick to any one-look DAK cap than any unissued cap that has never been in Afrika.

Cheers Mate !
        Tim
        Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 11-11-2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
          Just BS stories Chris. Not just talk this time. Prove It !
          Prove what ?

that these are fakes ? Easy, put any of them beside a 101% known original by any of these makers and there are clear differences. Plus the exact same materials used in the construction of 4 caps by 4 supposedly different makers. And lets not forget the type of tropical cockades that he has a good supply of, being used on more than one of these when matched against the maker and dates in the caps

that they are made in Germany ? Oh yes, there is a nice wee industry from a well known dealer sponsoring the manufacture of these and other goodies made to fool too.

Where is the BS in this Tim, I would have thought it was common knowledge ?

Chris

Comment

Who’s the well known dealer and why has it taken so long for this info to surface, why protect him?

Robt.
            Ps....if there was 1 particular thing about the 3 caps being discussed that was a concern it would be the cockades. More often than not that style coppery bevo weave is seen on mid to late period caps. None of the caps feature an early cotton machine embroidered cockade.
            Last edited by RGD51; 11-11-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Look at this obvious crap staring us all in the face. The exact same later model tropical cockade from the same roll on four different caps made by four different makers, three dated 1941,

And these two have the same rare copper-brown, Recon soutache also from a common roll, one with a little bit of wear and washing, yeah right

Then there is the sweat-band in one of these dated "M41" . It just keeps rolling

Also let's not forget to discuss the type of twill (one stone washed ?) that these two rare recon gems below are made from.

Four letter word, what does it spell ?

Chris
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 90th Light; 11-11-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
                Who’s the well known dealer and why has it taken so long for this info to surface, why protect him?

Robt.
                Agree +1 You need to give a name as several come to mind or it is just a BS story...Why protect him ?

Comment

I'm with these guys. Were these crooks to be known and collectors could simply stop doing business with them perhaps business would dry up and they would leave the collecting community alone. Perhaps they could run for political office and be criminals openly...

Comment

Silly-Billy me, coming up with such a BS story Tim,

There are absolutely no German dealers who have been involved in the making of new generation, fake, tropical M40 caps to try and trick collectors out of their money by selling them fake caps at high prices or even lower prices................................. no, no, no !

There you are Tim, happy now, silly me for even thinking such a thing or reporting such fake news on WAF.

All German dealers are straight up guys, who only sell 101% original, pre-May 1945 caps.

Boy am I going to collect with a whole new outlook after being put right about this misinformation on my part

Chris
                    Last edited by 90th Light; 11-13-2017, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Agree nothing wrong with any of these ALMI examples and the threadstarter is a one look original. Several collectors have sent me em's on this cap and no-one has anything negative to say...i believe the red liner just looks off from the poor photo and lighting. Grommets & stamps are good as is construction & materials.

Don't see any problems with this cap. Maker is already on the list. Stamps can very from one maker as can insignia application.

So if German dealers sponsoring the making of fake tropical M40 caps is nothing more than a figment of my imagination that I made up, then the cap that started this thread and the other 3 tropical M40's like it must all be good, honest, originals from good dealers.

Tim was right "threadstarter is a one look original" with what he posted in post number 12 above and I was wrong

Chris
                      Last edited by 90th Light; 11-13-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                        They are made in Germany by a dealer with a life time accumulation of original materials or close substitutes for what was used war-time.

Regards, Chris
                        Chris dont be shy.....who is it? Winkler?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
                          Chris dont be shy.....who is it? Winkler?
                          Yes you are right Daniel, I must try and overcome my shyness and speak up more

In reply to your question, I do not think many would entertain any doubts about that,

Chris

Comment

Gentlemen,
                            A quick dip into this thread, which I have been watching (along with the three also posted) with interest. I agree with Chris regarding the three other m40's also up for discussion. The same copper thread to attach all three late pattern cockades in exactly the same method...? Let alone the other red flags (grommets, sweatbands).
                            These are very well produced fakes - no doubt - and these WILL sell as original in time to someone who has not done their homework.
                            Mark.
                            NZ
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ha ha ha ha
                              Its a Pink smock cap in DAK.
                              HA HA HA HA ......
                              Two funny.

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                                Ha ha ha ha ...Two funny.
                                On the contrary, there is NOTHING funny about the state of technical detail that nefarious reproduction ‘artists’ have reached, as is evidenced by the example that started this thread.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X