LW Tropical Side-Cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris,
    Thanks. I guess it is similar to whether the dress is white & gold or blue & black?
    Again, appreciate all the help with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopherboy128 View Post
      Chris,
      Thanks. I guess it is similar to whether the dress is white & gold or blue & black?
      Again, appreciate all the help with this.

Yes exactly

Lets see what others think and say. However, if it was gold then that would be a first and so rare (if period & original) it is not funny.

Have a look at this thread;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=109947

see if you can find this maker or any other period up-grades. You will soon see how hard they are to find.

Then take into account that there are unissued factory officer caps out there sometimes (rarely) and they sell for good prices, but try finding one showing real use & fading. It is hard enough to find a sound, salty, faded EM? NCO cap,

Chris
      Last edited by 90th Light; 03-08-2015, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Yes, I looked through that thread but wasn't sure about the cord. Didn't realize silver cord could fade and discolor that way. Glad you suggested looking elsewhere on the cap for an original color to the cord.

Was not aware they did field upgrades. Thought they were factory or nothing.

I have 3 other Luftwaffe Tropical side-caps but none have the cord.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopherboy128 View Post
          Yes, I looked through that thread but wasn't sure about the cord. Didn't realize silver cord could fade and discolor that way. Glad you suggested looking elsewhere on the cap for an original color to the cord.

Was not aware they did field upgrades. Thought they were factory or nothing.

I have 3 other Luftwaffe Tropical side-caps but none have the cord.

It is not so much that the silver has faded. The silver plating on the copper is very thin and it wears off quickly with wear, use, weather, wind, sweat and mildew etc.

That type of silver wire is a cheaper version. I have seen it most often on KM items & East German stuff.

Please add some images of your other trop LW sidecaps . Any WH trop or KM trop ?

Chris

Comment

I see. Makes sense.

Comment

The piping is heavily toned silver. If it were gold, it would denote General rank and I'm pretty sure a General would spring for a factory cap with nice gold piping rather than upgrading a common (at the time) enlisted cap.
              WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Looks like a nice cap, and as others have stated, a rare maker to locate.

Is there any known history behind this cap?

Comment

No, there is not. My father passed and it is just one of the many pieces in his collection that I need to relocate. Trying to find my way through the maze that is WW2 collecting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X