X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luft tropical overseas cap

Hi to all ,

I would like to have some opinions about this overseas cap
    My impression is pretty positive , but the marking seems unusual for this maker ..

Regards,
    Last edited by alexandre; 03-18-2006, 03:05 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

I see no problem with it.

Comment

Hi Alexandre,

The cap looks totally correct to me as well.
        BUT...........

I have three Berolina caps, dated 1940, 41 and 42, all with direct DAK provenance. None of the stamps in them match the stamp in this one.

Begs the question: Did Berolina have several styles of ink stamps?
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yes John ,

I said the same to Alexandre and indeed it's a good question to ask ???
          Last edited by francis006; 07-11-2005, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I like it. The maker stamp matches the ones in my trop EM and officer as well as my HG officer as well.
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Gene
              I like it. The maker stamp matches the ones in my trop EM and officer as well as my HG officer as well.

I like the cap, as I already said. BUT, this stamp is similar to a Berolina stamp found in known reproductions. There are lots of tropical caps like this example, most stone mint.

Gene, do you know the provenance of your caps? This may help determine the legit variations of the Berolina stamp.

Most maker's marks are consistent, is this difference not unusal, especially within the SAME year? Francis, please email me if you have a different stamp in yours.

Jos, I know this has worried you for some time. François. Thoughts?
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thank you for the different answers !!

Here a "Berolina" marking in a luft cap posted in this forum by Ralph Heinz , and
                similar to the one printed in this overseas cap .
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin

Gene, do you know the provenance of your caps? This may help determine the legit variations of the Berolina stamp.
                  Yes I do, that's why I am comfortable with this piece.
                  WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Now, a different marking printed in a 100% original Schiffen .

SO , different type of stamping for the same maker ? or.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

German Paratroops Book p 106 there is a blue gray Berolina trop cap ,P 112 a tan trop ,markings match even if the dates are different so ??
                      John
                      Last edited by francis006; 07-11-2005, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Jos, I know this has worried you for some time.
                        ?
                        I asked ones howmany different makerstamps Berolina used,but I wasn't indicating these particular caps were wrong.

I've a overseas cap like the one in question myself and I like it..
                        I know one of these in a old collection and I've also seen them with different trop.eagles/backing,the thick backing cloth like this one,the smoother cotton one and the very thin cloth version..
                        This makes me believe they're original,no faker sofar who's using 3 different types original eagles IMO.., + these particular caps exist for a long time IMO.
                        Some have sizes written in them,mine has not..
                        A friend of mine also owned a cap like this,only difference was the eagle..
                        The backing cloth was the thin cloth type and had a small rip caused by the tension for being bent for a long time..
                        Here's a pic of his cap..

Jos.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexandre
                          Now, a different marking printed in a 100% original Schiffen .

SO , different type of stamping for the same maker ? or.....
                          Alexandre, this latter stamp that you posted matches the ones I know are from North Africa. From my experience it is correct and period Berolina stamp. That is, I have seen numerous Berolina caps, including Meyers, with veteran provenance from Africa and Italy. They ALL have this style marking.

Is the other style a good variation? I do not know, but I do not like it for several reasons. I have never seen it vet. associated. All I have seen like it are mint. And there is another issue I will not address here. I am not saying it is not authentic, just that I would not have a cap marked this way. Overly cautious perhaps, but happy to be so.

Gene, you know the history of your caps?

I am happy to count Ralph Heinz as a good friend of mine. However, I disagree with him on this marking. I believe Ralph is comfortable with it, and Ralph also says that Berolina is the Hoffmann firm. I understand why he claims this; there is a Berolina logo with the GAH initials. However, I have a tropical side cap brought from North Africa by a New Zealand soldier that is marked to G.A. Hoffmann! Why would one firm mark caps with different names?
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Jos, having seen something for a long means very little. I saw superb repo jump smocks in the 1980s and excellent repro SS bullion in the 1960s.
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin
                              Jos, having seen something for a long means very little. I saw superb repo jump smocks in the 1980s and excellent repro SS bullion in the 1960s.
                              And all had original eagles on them ?
                              I guess the better luft eagles only exist for a short time..
                              Now we can doubt these (old) eagles and cockades,but then I think we've a major problem and many stuff will get very suspicious..

Another thing for you to consider is :We only find overseas caps and no other (maybe fake ) trop.caps with this eagle and cockade..
                              It would've been easy to make a bunch of the more expensive ones IMO.

Another one from my files..

Jos.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 07-11-2005, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X