Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Tropical Side-Cap question

Hello,
    I have what I believe to be a LW Tropical Side-Cap. I can not find any examples with this piping on it. I inherited the cap from my late father and any help in identifying what I have is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.

Comment

It appears to be an original enlisted cap wartime upgraded for an officer by the addition of piping.

Comment

I second that. Nice used field upgrade cap.

Barry

Comment

Is the value of a field-upgraded cap different than a factory cap?

Comment

Originally posted by Gopherboy128 View Post
            Is the value of a field-upgraded cap different than a factory cap?
            It is rare maker of the LW tropical side-cap and it is a nice, unique period up-grade. The value is certainly up there towards what a factory made officer example would be worth.

The question I am asking, is that officer bullion cord "silver" which has worn back to copper or "gold" which has tarnished from the elements ???

Can you find evidence of silver or gold in the unexposed bits ? The answer to this question will certainly have an impact on what its worth,

Chris

Comment

That's oxidized bullion "gimp cord" on that cap. 'If' gold it could be pretty interesting...? Gold usually goes dark or gets greenish verdigris....aluminum chalky white. My 2 cents.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                The value is certainly up there towards what a factory made officer example would be worth.
                No offense but this is ridiculous.
                WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Heres a bit of the cord I found at the back, along the seam. Hard to get a good close-up photo without casting a shadow over the cord.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                    No offense but this is ridiculous.
                    No offense taken but why Gene ?

I got offered silly money for a New Zealand brought back EM up-grade to officer. I eventually sold due to the fact it had got "ridiculous" and that was not that long ago.

For some a faded, been there, done example is what they seek and will pay for,

Chris
                    Last edited by 90th Light; 03-08-2015, 01:08 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gopherboy128;6836006]Heres a bit of the cord I found at the back, along the seam. Hard to get a good close-up photo without casting a shadow over the cord.

Its all shiny and could be silver or gold in the close up/ image ??? .

What colour do you see ?

Chris

Comment

In my inexperienced opinion- it looks closer to a gold, which would make sense to me with the exterior cord being a green-brown color.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopherboy128 View Post
                          In my inexperienced opinion- it looks closer to a gold, which would make sense to me with the exterior cord being a green-brown color.
                          Take a couple of smaller images from different angles so we can get perspective, and the colour comes together.

If it is gold, this could get very interesting

Chris

Comment

Comment

Thanks for that.

My vote is silver which makes sense.

Nice honest tropical LW cap, rare maker, period up grade to LW officer. The silver has worn through to the base coat copper due to wear, use & sun.

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X