No announcement yet.

State of the Hobby re: Cloth Headgear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More food for thought in all of this from John Fiske about the state of the USA antiques market today,

Chris

" The antiques business is going to rebound very healthily. At all the shows the gates were excellent, there was terrific enthusiasm and appreciation for the great stuff for which New York is so well known. The fact that fewer people are buying at the moment does not mean that antiques have fallen out of favor; the New York shows made it abundantly clear that the passion for good antiques is alive and kicking. There’s a pent-up demand building that means that the rebound, when it comes, will be powerful.

When we’ll see it is the unanswered question. Obviously it depends largely upon the global and national economy, and more locally upon the state of the housing and credit markets, and upon consumer confidence. Traditionally, the antiques business has been a laggard, trailing the general economy by a few months. We don’t have any control over the general economy, but we do have some control over how laggardly we are – we can hasten the rebound, or we can delay it. The way to boost the rebound is to create good buying conditions for our customers. The antiques business will inevitably go through some price corrections, it will inevitably go through a general process of leveling – areas that were once super-hot will moderate. The dealers who offer good buying are the ones who will survive the recession, and more importantly, are the ones who will spur the recovery.

I came away from New York feeling that the antiques business as a whole is flexible and is capable of responding to dire market conditions; that there are enough dealers at all levels of the market who are capable of adjusting to tough times; that buyer desire is far higher than buyer performance; and that we’ll come out of the recession fit and healthy, though almost certainly leaner. The silver lining is there. "

Comment

Hi stonemint,

I haven't had a chance to share my two cents on this topic until now, but here goes. I actually think the answer is fairly simple.

The state of this forum today reflects sheer boredom. While there is some thought-provoking discussion and quest for further knowledge and expertise, much of the discourse among most of the forums here centers around sharing of new acquisitions. This has stalled for a couple of reasons.

First is my opinion that not as many young collectors are entering the fold. The reasons for this are twofold: hobbies and interests require extra spending money which most younger people don't have as much of; new collector interest wanes as we get further and further from the conflict we collect. So there is not a steady stream of new collectors to show new stuff, and most of the active users here have shared most of what they own.

Second is the economy. Those who were buying more when times were better don't have the same number of things to share. Those who might sell, might not, for fear of losing money on a nice item that they paid well for.

Let's not also forget that this is exclusively a male hobby, so there really is no opportunity for us to see any interest or activity from half of the population.

As I mentioned above, more of the activity is based on sharing of purchases versus sharing of knowledge. So when one part wanes, you're left with the other.

As Wayne mentioned and/or alluded to, there are many collectors not on the forurms who have been doing this for decades and will have to sell at some point. I imagine that there is much buried in collections that haven't seen the light of day in decades. So there will be an influx of new material over the next five to ten years that will help spark a renewed interest in those who stick with the hobby.

J-

Comment

I think Chris (90th Light) makes a good statement here: It applies to all business/industry/collectables and makes good business sense to stimulate interest and confidence again. Once again it comes down to mostly pricing a product that will sell in a short time frame to a broad market.

Chris's comments "The way to boost the rebound is to create good buying conditions for our customers. The antiques business will inevitably go through some price corrections, it will inevitably go through a general process of leveling – areas that were once super-hot will moderate. The dealers who offer good buying are the ones who will survive the recession, and more importantly, are the ones who will spur the recovery".

Back to Chris(Stoney) original reason on stating this thread , I agree with Jason that "The state of this forum today reflects sheer boredom. While there is some thought-provoking discussion and quest for further knowledge and expertise, much of the discourse among most of the forums here centers around sharing of new acquisitions. This has stalled for a couple of reasons"

And I as I already mentioned previously the lack of quality items on offer to buy/show/and discuss, similar to the rk's

Hi Jason, I'll email and catch up with soon

Cheers
        Wayne
        Last edited by wayne gosley; 06-02-2013, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Sorry for double post

I think Chris makes a good statement here: It applies to all business/industry/collectables and makes good business sense to stimulate interest and confidence again. Once again it comes down to mostly pricing a product that will sell in a short time frame to a broad market.

The way to boost the rebound is to create good buying conditions for our customers. The antiques business will inevitably go through some price corrections, it will inevitably go through a general process of leveling – areas that were once super-hot will moderate. The dealers who offer good buying are the ones who will survive the recession, and more importantly, are the ones who will spur the recovery.

Hi Jason, I'll email and catch up with soon

Cheers
          Wayne

Comment

5 years have passed since this thread was originally posted.

Just curious what thoughts/concerns about the hobby have arisen over the last 5 years.
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Still sharks and leeches out there . . . and now, maybe even more exposed

Looking back on all of this, I find the comment from "JasonA" [Post #47] to be the most curious. Some things he mentioned still ring true for me, and others do not . . . but back then, I think I would have strongly agreed with his opinion.

Comment

In terms of the Soft Headgear Forum, back in the early (pre-Great Recession) days, it seemed like a new thread would be posted every 10 minutes.

Nowadays, we are lucky to see one new post (not thread) per hour (or even hours).

Reasons? Have we already seen/discussed all there is to see?
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                  In terms of the Soft Headgear Forum, back in the early (pre-Great Recession) days, it seemed like a new thread would be posted every 10 minutes.

Nowadays, we are lucky to see one new post (not thread) per hour (or even hours).

Reasons? Have we already seen/discussed all there is to see?
                  So true... what has been discussed, has been discussed.

Mil

Comment

Nothing new to talk about anymore? [Same Poop - New Day]

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                    Have we already seen/discussed all there is to see?
                    I think that may be the crux of the matter - almost anything that could be revealed about this stuff may have already transpired. Be it in a book, on this Forum, or just about any other way, or anywhere else. Sure, there may still be some obscure level of information out there, yet un-turned . . . but think about it - after all these years, it may simply be that there is little mystery left for anyone get all that excited about. I think this may be playing out all across-the-board for the things this Forum was designed to examine . . . and now, a little bit of fatigue may be setting in. I know I'm feelin' it. Add that to all the other circumstances talked about elsewhere - high prices, hoarding, lack of civility, criminal mischief, forgery efforts, and the rest of the [dirty] laundry list - and you kinda' get the feeling that lack of participation you site could be well warranted.

Of course, as soon as I say this . . . somebody will dredge up some new, mind-blowing discovery - and kick up the enthusiasm all over again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X