Original Willy Sprengpfeil MM in Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Willy Sprengpfeil MM in Caps

I put what is quoted below on a thread started by Bob Hritz about a police M43 cap. Bob was asking a question about the maker mark of the firm "Willy Sprengfeil".

To date, many collectors seem to strictly accept one version of font and one only. Having discovered clear evidence that other german cap makers of WW2, used more than one version of their stamp. I embarked on a study of Willy Sprengfeil stamps in original field caps made before May 1945 and thought I would share some of my findings,

Chris

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
    The question remains however, did Willly Sprengfeil use only one version or font of stamp throughout the entire war

Other manufactures such as Carl Halfar did not so why Sprengfeil ? Halfar's have small differences in stamps for the years 1940, 41, 42 & 43. They also applied slightly different styles to different types of caps. For example, a tropical M40 verses an Org. Todt M43

When one encounters the Panzer black version of a sidecap made by Willy Sprengfeil, it always has a slightly different but consistent version of the stamp.

One of the factors which I feel is misunderstood by collectors today, is the use of sub-contractors by big brand cap makers in Germany at this time. There is clear evidence that to meet some large orders. Some of the work or component parts were sub-contracted out to meet the the dead-line. Just recently, this was discussed concerning the differences in the placement of a soutache on two Carl Halfar tropical M40's. These two caps were 101% correct in every way but just a bit different from each other in regard to how the soutache was attached at the bottom of the cap. The answer, use of sub-contractors or cottage industry components.

One more thing which needs to be considered when looking at a Sprengfeil cap. In 1939 Willy Sprengpfeil was in financial difficulty. They entered into a cooperative partnership with Gloy and and began licencing some of their production to reduce their fixed operations. This could also be a reason that just not one stamp was used. In this regard there is some sort of joint venture with "Opolka & Muller" and other manufacturers in Hamburg,

Chris
    Last edited by 90th Light; 04-29-2012, 07:15 AM.

And here is the compiled image that Jim Pool added to the thread about the police M43 maker marked "Willy Sprengfeil"

Particularly note the "1943" date stamp on the red tropical lining and the style of font used. This is what I call the "large date" font
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 90th Light; 04-29-2012, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Now we see the classic font Willy Sprengpfeil MM stamped into a KM cap with the "large date" font
      Attached Files

Comment

And now the lesser known original Willy Sprengfeil MM in a Pz. cap with "large date" font
        Attached Files

Comment

And a classic original Willy Sprengfeil MM in a LW cap with a smaller date stamp which I have logically called the "small date" font
          Attached Files

Comment

And now the lesser known original Willy Sprengfeil MM in a Pz. cap with "small date" font
            Attached Files

Comment

A comparison of the classic Willy Sprengfeil MM with "small date" font with the lesser known Willy Sprengfeil MM with "small date" font
              Attached Files

Comment

A comparison of the two sizes of date font on the lesser known Willy Sprengfeil MM
                Attached Files

Comment

Another example of the lesser known version of the Willy Sprengfeil MM with "large date" font which has been observed. This one 1939.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 90th Light; 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

And yet one more example of the lesser known version of the Willy Sprengfeil MM with "large date" font which has been observed. This time 1940 dated.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 90th Light; 04-29-2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

That is all that I will post for now. Perhaps another version which I have only seen once a little later.

Thus so far we have;

- the classic Willy Sprengfeil MM with "large date" font
                      - the classic Willy Sprengfeil MM with "small date" font
                      - the lesser known Willy Sprengfeil MM with "large date" font
                      - the lesser known Willy Sprengfeil MM with "small date" font

Interesting, Chris

Comment

In each of your examples the stamp is accompanied by a date. Not so on the Police Cap. Not a show stopper but it certainly should be cause for concern. jim

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                        That is all that I will post for now. Perhaps another version which I have only seen once a little later.

Thus so far we have;

- the classic Willy Sprengfeil MM with "large date" font
                        - the classic Willy Sprengfeil MM with "small date" font
                        - the lesser known Willy Sprengfeil MM with "large date" font
                        - the lesser known Willy Sprengfeil MM with "small date" font

Interesting, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
                          In each of your examples the stamp is accompanied by a date. Not so on the Police Cap. Not a show stopper but it certainly should be cause for concern. jim
                          Hello Jim,

yes I noticed that the police M43 had no date and I do not know enough about police caps to be able to say why. All I can say is that the date stamp is applied as a seperate stamp from the makers name and address by Willy Sprengfeil,

Chris

Comment

Probably worth adding the reference picture of the classic Willy Sprengfeil MM with "large date" font, from page 310 of the book by Gary Wilkins, published by Schiffer (2002)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 90th Light; 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

A fake one:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X