Hermann Meyer Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post
    The "Admin" is questionable; the "Meyer Hat" is pure crap!

There is nothing more to say to try and convince folks otherwise. The insignia is embroidered, not bevo; the 'political eagle stamp' is indicativeof repros made in the 1980s where EVERYTHING was stampedthis way because of ignorance &/or concerted efforts by the makers to ensure their copies wouldn't be sold as real; AND, I bet the inner sweatshield sewn in the crown isn't correct either!

In conclusion, the "Meyer Hat" is PURE CRAP!
    I do not know if you read what I wrote, I got exactly the beret in 1968 not in 80 years, many of these caps you saw ?? regards sergio

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
      Thanks for the story except I am confused by your two posts ? Did you own one of these Meyer caps back in the 70's with the eagle stamp & embroiderd insignia (not bevo) ?
      Then bought another recently ? Have seen several fake caps with an eagle stamped on the inside with the maker's mark, M40's, ss M43's etc.all fakes...
      In your post next to Sergio you make clear the customs/admin cap does not support the Meyer cap as original which I agree. Sorry for my missing the translation but still am convinced the Meyer threadstarter is fake.

Also Paris makes several good points including the inner sweatshield ?

With kind regards
      Tim
      It's why I bought it as written in a small market in Paternion at Villach Austria in 1968, have 51 years to around markets in Austria, I have now only this, after Cleestuff posted her I put my, his was challenged, as you can read someone said that the factory does not exist, I could find the photo of the factory, the factory existed, and now I found this hat customs with the same inscription, then the friezes are different from known this does not mean anything, if it were false, there would be many around, the forums are seeking the truth, I have sought, I want non to sell this hat, I just posted what I found, I'll be back to write in those years (60) the collectors had only a book Militaria Regalia and nobody knew what was Hermann Mayer cap, if for you is false Ok, but I have lived the story ,I keep it, I'm sorry I took find the tests, but no one he believes. thanks for your reply best regards sergio

Comment

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
        Hallo Ferdinandmax

I do not see the connection between the two hats: one would be from Rossbach, the other from Zweibrucken. Also, are you sure about the Customs visor? From what I see, the eagle, if authentic, is a Bahnschutz pattern. Based on the photos you've posted, it seems to me that it can be a BRD visor with TR badges (not sure if authentic, because the photos are a long shot). Are you sure that the sweatshield is made of celluloid and not plastic? Finally, Zweibrucken is in Rhineland-Palatinate, very far from Sudetenland.

best regards
        The Fritz Mueller factory will have perhaps had some branch, for me the visor is original, I went to see the internet but Zwiebruecken found nothing, the sweat shield is celluloid, you're right the eagle is a Bahnschutz, but to me was interested in the logo, do not collect civilian caps, greetings sergio
        b

Comment

Hi Sergio,

OK now I get it. Sorry for my confusion. You have owned your Meyer cap with the eagle stamp from 1968 from Austria, where other tropical items have been found in cache's as well. I know you have found some wonderful items over the years, like the French tropenhelm used by the Austrian pilot

This is surprise news to many of us here on the Forum, the dogma that any cap with an eagle stamp on the interior is a fake is challenged with this ? Only time have seen this before was on an original tropenhelm that also had the "Made in Germany" stamp which is post war of course. So its still possible yours was stamped post war ? Also the insignia is not the type found on all original HM's, so there are still many concerns about these HM caps on this thread. Could you post more photos of yours, interior, exterior grommets etc ?

Is the visor from the war or postwar modified, anyone ? & once more why would a LW cap have a political symbol ?

cheers
          Tim
          Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 05-22-2016, 04:28 AM.

Comment

For the newest members of WAF, the Hermann Meyer that started this thread has a long history:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=hermann+meyer
            started by voltageman7 on May 24, 2011
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...n+meyer&page=7
            posted by Ferdinandmax on December 7, 2011
            posted by Kurt on January 29, 2011
            posted by KC1 on October 7, 2015

There are six pages of threads about S&M Wholesale by Steve McColgan and three others about Traders of the Lost Surplus by Scott Babcock on WAF; Paris Gun will be, if he wants, even more precise than me.

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinandmax View Post
              The Fritz Mueller factory will have perhaps had some branch, for me the visor is original, I went to see the internet but Zwiebruecken found nothing, the sweat shield is celluloid, you're right the eagle is a Bahnschutz, but to me was interested in the logo, do not collect civilian caps, greetings sergio
              b
              Ciao Sergio

No offense, but I must point out a few things from my point of view:

1. You have published a photo of a building. From what you conclude that it was a military clothing factory?
              2. if Fritz Muller had various factories or shops, is for you to bring the evidences with the proper research.
              3. in my opinion the Customs' visor is not a proof, since it shows at least a reassembled eagle.

Best regards

Marcello

Comment

Sergio you have been fighting many battles for this cap for a long time & will likely continue long into the future. But as you have owned it for many years I understand why. For the insignia & grommets & the eagle Stamp all together I am not convinced it is from the war,.

With best regards
                Tim

Comment

Hello Marcelo

Thanks so much for the previous links with more photos and comments from some members who have lots more experience with these interesting caps. The thread on HM caps started by Larry is one of the best on these caps

thanks
                  Tim
                  Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 05-22-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

An 'Old Repro' (& a poor one at that) does not make it an Original. Besides, "Alteste" visors predate the late 60s, and for most of the styles made, they are near-perfect but still reproductions just the same.

FWIW: A 'decent' reproduction Meyer Hat costs about $85.00 TODAY; the equivalent value of 10 Euros back in 1967, taking into account inflation, amounts to $85.00. Coincidence? At least the present-day reproduction Meyer Hats feature correct bevo insignia, are void of any 'political stampings' AND, some even feature grommets (screened vent versions) that are actually a style found on original Meyer Hats!

Serio: I mean you no ill-will; however, that hat is not, nor will it ever be, accepted as an original. Niether the date of purchase nor the absence of quality reference books serve to correct the woefully poor attempts to mimic an original; if any anything, such 'facts' help explain why it is a poorly constructed reproduction!

If you have no intention of selling it, and you also don't have much invested in the original purchase price, then why not allow the poor thing a quiet, final resting place 'upon your collecting/ display shelf' where you can enjoy it to your heart's content; otherwise, some "newbie" might run across another identical example, and in the process, spend a handsome amount believing this cap might be the "Pink SS Camo Smock" of Meyer Hats (which it is NOT).

All the best to you and yours just the same; respectfully,

WWM
                    Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post
                      An 'Old Repro' (& a poor one at that) does not make it an Original. Besides, "Alteste" visors predate the late 60s, and for most of the styles made, they are near-perfect but still reproductions just the same.
                      Yes indeed WWM and Marcello. The cap has been called "bad" and "fake" in the past, and it still is so. All kinds of fakes were being produced in the 60s, I well know, I was collecting then. Understand how you desire this Meyer to be genuine Sergio, but it never will be authentic to anyone with experience with genuine WWII Meyers. Sorry, but this dead horse should be buried, quite literally.
                      John
                      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                        Yes indeed WWM and Marcello. The cap has been called "bad" and "fake" in the past, and it still is so. All kinds of fakes were being produced in the 60s, I well know, I was collecting then. Understand how you desire this Meyer to be genuine Sergio, but it never will be authentic to anyone with experience with genuine WWII Meyers. Sorry, but this dead horse should be buried, quite literally.
                        John
                        perhaps in the United States was made material false in the 60s, but I guarantee you that in the 60s in Austria, did not know what they was false, material at the time was full the material was completely original, the houses were full of all, I was every month to buy in small markets, if you do not know these things as you can assert them ??

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinandmax View Post
                          perhaps in the United States was made material false in the 60s, but I guarantee you that in the 60s in Austria, did not know what they was false, material at the time was full the material was completely original, the houses were full of all, I was every month to buy in small markets, if you do not know these things as you can assert them ??
                          Fakes were being produced in Germany in the 60s. The father of one of my friends was stationed in Germany in the US Army, he brought reproduction badges home to the US that he bought cheaply in Germany, reproduction pilot and para badges as well as reproduction DK in gold and silver.

Bury the rotten horse.
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Seriously, I can't believe this cap is still being discussed. Even if you were issued this cap in 1943; they issued you a fake.

Comment

In the 60s in Austria began the first flea markets, there was no material false, the houses were full of original material, the warehouse also got shirts, ties, belts, with 6 pieces of these hats, and all original material, but it is useless for me to go to convince you, the photo of the factory and the hat found logo, are not enough, Ok for you hat is false, everyone is free to think about what you believe, greetings

THE END

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                                Fakes were being produced in Germany in the 60s. The father of one of my friends was stationed in Germany in the US Army, he brought reproduction badges home to the US that he bought cheaply in Germany, reproduction pilot and para badges as well as reproduction DK in gold and silver.

Bury the rotten horse.

with regard to the distinctive you're right, there was no need to go to Germany to buy them, in Graz there was a small shop in the center above the main square of the famous Rudolf Souval which he sold both the originals and the copies, regards sergio

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X