• Show
Clear All

ssssssssss
    Attached Files

Comment

zszszszzzzzzzz
      Attached Files

Comment

Can you guys explain why a Party eagle is stamped in a Luftwaffe hat?
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
          Can you guys explain why a Party eagle is stamped in a Luftwaffe hat?
          I think it was the logo of the factory

regards sergio

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinandmax View Post
            I think it was the logo of the factory

regards sergio
            Never. This Meyer is not genuine and should not be presented as such.
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

The Meyer hat at issue looks exactly like the type of hat that "Traders of the Lost Surplus" (hereinafter TOTLS) sold back in the 80s; I purchased one for display since Meyer hats were incredibly rare before the internet and Cold War collapse opened up the supply of these highly sought after hats.

'Commander Scotty' at TOTLS had Meyer caps made up to supply the re-enactor/ collector community, and his caps featured an embroidered eagle and wreath instead of the correct bevo version. SM wholesale was the first to offer repro Meyer hats with the bevo insignia, which occurred in the early 90s. I've attached a pic of a TOTLS Meyer Hat.

The Meyer hat at issue exhibits the same characteristics of those reproductions that were offered back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s; namely, the manufacturers back then went crazy with the interior stampings simply because they had no idea of what original interiors should look like due to the lack of detailed photos or reference books. This 'willy nilly' approach explains the presence of the political eagle stamp. I have seen numerous repro hats that have the NSDAP style eagle stamp on the interior; I've attached a picture of a SS camo hat with the same style of stamping as well as the presence of a political eagle, which was also sold by TOTLS. The NSDAP eagle stamp could be found at nearly every gun show or magazine classified section. The proliferation of these stamps resulted in them being found on repro hats, tunics, belts, helmet liners, etc.- they where found on everything!

In my opinion, the cap is a reproduction; the political eagle stamp, coupled with the incorrect insignia, found on this cap prove that it is fake and remove the possibility that it could be a tailor made piece.

For what it is worth, in my 30 years of collecting, I have never seen a tailor made Meyer hat.

Sorry.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post

The Meyer hat at issue exhibits the same characteristics of those reproductions that were offered back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s; namely, the manufacturers back then went crazy with the interior stampings simply because they had no idea of what original interiors should look like due to the lack of detailed photos or reference books. This 'willy nilly' approach explains the presence of the political eagle stamp. I have seen numerous repro hats that have the NSDAP style eagle stamp on the interior; I've attached a picture of a SS camo hat with the same style of stamping as well as the presence of a political eagle, which was also sold by TOTLS. The NSDAP eagle stamp could be found at nearly every gun show or magazine classified section. The proliferation of these stamps resulted in them being found on repro hats, tunics, belts, helmet liners, etc.- they where found on everything!
                Exactly correct and thanks for the contribution.
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

zszsz
                  Attached Files

Comment

zssz
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Sergio

Are you saying the Meyer cap is good, cause of this Admin caps maker marks ? Looks to me like the faker copied the name from a similar cap perhaps ? The eagle stamp on the Meyer cap is really all you need to condemn it......

Comment

Originally posted by Tim OK View Post
                        Hi Sergio

Are you saying the Meyer cap is good, cause of this Admin caps maker marks ? Looks to me like the faker copied the name from a similar cap perhaps ? The eagle stamp on the Meyer cap is really all you need to condemn it......
                        you do not know the story, These caps have come out in early markets in Carinthia Austria, circa 1968, at that time went out shirts, ties. the berolina sidecap, and shorts Africa Korps material, and 6 of These caps, In That time there were no Nazi militaria books, and no one Knew what they were, I bought it for about 2 5000 Italian lire of the time today 2.5 euro, the areas Scherret known seller not knowing what they were having a stamp with an eagle, he printed all caps to sell as nobody Knew the model, and me neither. I know this much later, I managed to find this cap in Vienna recently and I bought it to show That in Additions to the factory photo Also there was a production of uniforms hats and more, though false, had to be found on many markets, how many have you seen ??? The logo is the same as the customs hat, the photo of the factory there, and even a hat with the same logo factory, also if you look at the two different hats are eagles, I do not know why, at that 'time were not false, all original material from households, translated,

Comment

Hallo Ferdinandmax

I do not see the connection between the two hats: one would be from Rossbach, the other from Zweibrucken. Also, are you sure about the Customs visor? From what I see, the eagle, if authentic, is a Bahnschutz pattern. Based on the photos you've posted, it seems to me that it can be a BRD visor with TR badges (not sure if authentic, because the photos are a long shot). Are you sure that the sweatshield is made of celluloid and not plastic? Finally, Zweibrucken is in Rhineland-Palatinate, very far from Sudetenland.

best regards

Comment

zszsz
                            That's a Bahnschutz eagle on that cap. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

The "Admin" is questionable; the "Meyer Hat" is pure crap!

There is nothing more to say to try and convince folks otherwise. The insignia is embroidered, not bevo; the 'political eagle stamp' is indicativeof repros made in the 1980s where EVERYTHING was stampedthis way because of ignorance &/or concerted efforts by the makers to ensure their copies wouldn't be sold as real; AND, I bet the inner sweatshield sewn in the crown isn't correct either!

In conclusion, the "Meyer Hat" is PURE CRAP!

Comment

you do not know the story, These caps have come out in early markets in Carinthia Austria, circa 1968, at that time went out shirts, ties. the berolina sidecap, and shorts Africa Korps material, and 6 of These caps, In That time there were no Nazi militaria books, and no one Knew what they were, I bought it for about 2 5000 Italian lire of the time today 2.5 euro, the areas Scherret known seller not knowing what they were having a stamp with an eagle, he printed all caps to sell as nobody Knew the model, and me neither. I know this much later, I managed to find this cap in Vienna recently and I bought it to show That in Additions to the factory photo Also there was a production of uniforms hats and more, though false, had to be found on many markets, how many have you seen ??? The logo is the same as the customs hat, the photo of the factory there, and even a hat with the same logo factory, also if you look at the two different hats are eagles, I do not know why, at that 'time were not false, all original material from households, translated,
                                Thanks for the story except I am confused by your two posts ? Did you own one of these Meyer caps back in the 70's with the eagle stamp & embroiderd insignia (not bevo) ?
                                Then bought another recently ? Have seen several fake caps with an eagle stamped on the inside with the maker's mark, M40's, ss M43's etc.all fakes...
                                In your post next to Sergio you make clear the customs/admin cap does not support the Meyer cap as original which I agree. Sorry for my missing the translation but still am convinced the Meyer threadstarter is fake.

Also Paris makes several good points including the inner sweatshield ?

With kind regards
                                Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X