MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The late war economy Erel, did they exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at this thread (and there are others): http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...bstein+russian

Comment

I am off the fence and am a firm believer in the originality of these caps...
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I am surprised no one asked me why I am now a firm believer in the late-late war Erel (per NTZ, the "Economy Erel").

I have had a chance to look at and handle a couple of these post May 1945-1949 Erels. The only things I noted they had in common with the Economy Erel was the style of sweatband and the cardboard visor (aka Lackierte Pappschirm). All these postwar Erels are is a continuation of cost-cutting manufacturing techniques (and the postwar Erel was even more thrifty than the Erel of Jan-May 1945).

I call the Economy Erel the M-45 (but it may have come out in late '44). Unlike the 45-49 Erels, these are padded, and have the standard Erel #s under the rear lining. The silk is also better quality, and it is easy to trace their lineage to the late and early war Erels.

Wolfty just posted one on another forum for Kav, size 54.5, unissued (obviously due to the small size). IMHO, a lot of these were "dead stock" in various OKK warehouses and that is where they were taken from by Allied soldiers at the end of the war. The reason that some of the rarer waffenfarbes appear on these (once again, imo) is simply due to the fact that more were ordered by the OKK than needed by these smaller Heer branches (ie, Nebel).

I recently picked up a Nebel M-45 with a bullion wreath, that does show period wear, indicating it was actually issued. What is interesting is that the bullion wreath is sewn in the traditional Erel loop-stitch method, but it is not sewn under the lining, indicating that it was factory-sewn. (Like the others, it is Kleiderkasse marked, and is an Extra, but the markings were never inked in, and there is no marking on the sweatband.)

I agree, they do not have the "bells and whistles" of the pre/early/late war Erels, but they are still collectible in their own right.
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
          I am surprised no one asked me why I am now a firm believer in the late-late war Erel (per NTZ, the "Economy Erel").

I have had a chance to look at and handle a couple of these post May 1945-1949 Erels. The only things I noted they had in common with the Economy Erel was the style of sweatband and the cardboard visor (aka Lackierte Pappschirm). All these postwar Erels are is a continuation of cost-cutting manufacturing techniques (and the postwar Erel was even more thrifty than the Erel of Jan-May 1945).

I call the Economy Erel the M-45 (but it may have come out in late '44). Unlike the 45-49 Erels, these are padded, and have the standard Erel #s under the rear lining. The silk is also better quality, and it is easy to trace their lineage to the late and early war Erels.

Wolfty just posted one on another forum for Kav, size 54.5, unissued (obviously due to the small size). IMHO, a lot of these were "dead stock" in various OKK warehouses and that is where they were taken from by Allied soldiers at the end of the war. The reason that some of the rarer waffenfarbes appear on these (once again, imo) is simply due to the fact that more were ordered by the OKK than needed by these smaller Heer branches (ie, Nebel).

I recently picked up a Nebel M-45 with a bullion wreath, that does show period wear, indicating it was actually issued. What is interesting is that the bullion wreath is sewn in the traditional Erel loop-stitch method, but it is not sewn under the lining, indicating that it was factory-sewn. (Like the others, it is Kleiderkasse marked, and is an Extra, but the markings were never inked in, and there is no marking on the sweatband.)

I agree, they do not have the "bells and whistles" of the pre/early/late war Erels, but they are still collectible in their own right.
          I was meaning to pick up the phone and call you today. Anyway your theory does seem plausible. I just wish I seen one with true period wear so I can be convinced.

Comment

Nicky--
            I put a cap spring into this to re-shape it, as it had more of a crusher appearance. Wear isnt that much, but it is there:

Sponge is long gone. Note the wreath not being sewn through the lining.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Lenny W; 04-29-2020, 02:08 PM. Reason: Merged posts
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I am glad that this is finally coming to light, better late than never.
              -G

Comment

There was a Transport M-45 Erel at the Tempe show today, but the wreath was re-sewn (it also showed period wear).

(It is partially obscured by the medal cases).
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I am a bull headed SOB but I have to say that the PZ that stonemint posted sure shows real wear. I hate to say this but maybe I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
                    I am a bull headed SOB but I have to say that the PZ that stonemint posted sure shows real wear. I hate to say this but maybe I was wrong.
                    Ouch--do I hear the prices of M-45 Erels skyrocketing in the background?!
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

On my 5 mile jog today, I thought about (what else) visor caps, and the late-late war Erel, aka the economy erel aka the M-45 Erel. (what can I say, I work, work out, and study this stuff).

Anyway, it came to me to re-check the old Moran books, as they are 75% Erels, and I found 2 hats which may also be missing links of sorts.

First up is a Hans Durbeck, with no foil in the logo. Check out the lackierte pappschirm:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This one is not identified as an Erel, but I am 98.99% sure it is an M-45 (the logos are next to impossible to see on some of these).

This one has the M-45 foldover (non-stirndruckfrei) sweatband, but with a vulkanfiber visor. It is also for TSD, so it would have been made in the fall of '44 at the latest:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

If you have an Economy Erel, or what you believe to be a missing link, please post here!
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Another late-war Erel--note the lackierte pappschirm:
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Hi Chris, i have a late war erel that came from the estand, but everyone missed it. It is a a standard model and it was being sold as a medical visor but is in fact a TSD with mid blue rayon piping.

I will post pics of it once i have paid my yearly fee..

JT

Comment

Adding ZBV500's find of the decade: the "missing link" for the M-45 Erel:

Case closed!:
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Lenny W; 04-29-2020, 02:09 PM. Reason: Merged posts
                                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X