Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening All,

Update time again.

I am still working my way around the track guards making all the various parts, boxes etc.

On the right hand track guard, at the rear, there is a box described as a Werkzeugkasten III or toolbox, what exactly goes in it I have no idea. The box on top of the Wrkzeugkasten on the Tank museums Panzer II is an addition and isn't relevant to the Ausf C.

(I can't post this picture as WAF web site will not upload it, even after it has been resized)

Obviously mine.
    DSC06765.JPG DSC06762.JPG
    On the last update I mentioned the MG Zubehorkasten which caused some confusion. This is my recreation, which I think is somewhere near but how the items that it held were arranged, is still a mystery.

DSC06763.JPG DSC06764.JPG
    The last item this evening, is what is described as Zwischenrohr zur Andrehkurbel or Intermediate tube to the crank handle. What the Intermediate tube to the crank handle actually looks like, I have no idea.

An original on the tank museums PZII
    DSC04241 (2).JPG
    and mine.
    DSC06760.JPG
    The catch used to close this tube and several other boxes caused me some head scratching. You can buy them from the good old USA at around $20 each, which to my mind is too expensive, especially as I need around 15 of them. They are not perfect but good enough.
    s-l640.jpg
    Or I could make them from scratch myself but I am too lazy. Then I came across these on that evil auction site.
    DSC06761.JPG
    The dimensions are very similar to the original but of course they look totally different. With a little bit of imagination, some alteration and a new latch arm, I think that they look quite passable and all for £1.19 each.
    DSC04241 (2).JPG DSC06760.JPG
    That's all folks.

Jon
    Attached Files

Comment

That is some outstanding work.
      As for the Werkzeugkasten III there is a thread about it here https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...dentify-please

It shows what is inside of it.

Comment

Mike, that is brilliant, thanks for posting the link.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by johann mor View Post
          Mike, that is brilliant, thanks for posting the link.

Jon
          I have two boxes from that post author for repair,if you need 100 % exact diemnsions.

Comment

Thanks for offer Vince but the box is made and is very close, within, 5mm of the dimensions shown in the thread, so near enough. If you were thinking of selling an original box i may be interested.

Jon

Comment

Evening all,

Not much to report on the Panzer front, as I have been busy with other non military projects that I appear to have gained.

As for the Panzer i have been removing the parts that i have previously made and under coating them ready for a top coat as and when.

A quite interesting little project that i have finished is the rotary coupling that connects power and audio from the hull up into the turret.
              IMG_5393.jpg

I had thought of using a cheap slip ring as sold on ebay and modifying it to suit but i don't think that it will be man enough, so i decided to knock something up myself.

The rotary junction is bolted to the hull floor and attaches to the leg of the commanders seat, the cables then run inside of the seat support leg and into the turret.
              img8d77c664zikazj_jpeg_01eb1d32a86c20aa87ff12b5cf229852.jpg
              I thought that i had taken loads more pictures but it appears that i didn't. This is the rotor and the copper ring connectors, sorry if my descriptive terms are incorrect but i can't think what the individual components would be called.
              DSC06769.JPG
              The copper is 35mm plumbing tube pressed over nylon insulators with the relevant wires soldered in.

All the external connectors that i have used are clansman but i couldn't find a female socket, so i used a bulkhead fitting and turned up a two part housing that pushes together and sealed it all by covering it with heat shrink.

DSC06770.JPG
              The outer housing has a bearing top and bottom and an oil seal at the top to stop dirt getting in but i forgot to take a photo of the completed unit.
              DSC06772.JPG
              The whole unit is housed in a fabricated steel enclosure that will be sealed with silicon on final assembly
              DSC06774.JPG DSC06776.JPG DSC06779.JPG
              That's all for now.

Jon

Attached Files

Comment

Jon, your engineering ability has me admiring your skills, best of luck fella

Comment

Every time I check in on this post I am amazed. Just incredible!!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X