Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
    Panzerfabrik is building a replica P4...they also made a panzer II Luchs
    That's the one Bullitt, could not remember the name.

Comment

Originally posted by johann mor View Post
      I have seen the panzerfabrik stuff and it's really impressive but they have staff and I have me, with a very limited budget and limited equipment. Will I actually build a iv, it's a dream and only time will tell.
      I also have a dream to build a Sdkfz 251 Ausf D. There is only me and a small garage, with limited budget like yourself, but I still collect parts when I can and restore them. Like you said ' will I actually build a 251, it's a dream and only time will tell'.

Comment

Well uncle want's to go in September but which year.

I really don't know, I have got to do the tracks yet but I have found myself planning the manufacture of a Panzer iv so subconsciously I am on to the next project.

Jon
        Oh wow..........a panzer 4.........please say it will be an Ausf A. It would go with your Pz 2. as a period pair.

And if I grovel I could be your geriatric gunner.

Realistically it could be the harder one to do as not a lot of examples as far as I am aware. However the plus is some of the items are more simplistic in comparison to the latter vehicles. Simple dustbin cupola and single piece side hatches at al. Massive undertaking in actuality.

As for your tyres Jon. I would not overly worry about the marks on the rubber sides. I used to receive the new parts for the CVRT series of vehicles we had in the regt and just about all of them were like that from the factory. One being used they will get chipped and bashed.

Really looking forward to seeing the beast in one piece.

Can you do a Utube drop as a vid ??

Regards

Comment

If you need a test driver let me know, I'll make sure it's been ridden hard and put away wet.

Comment

Thank J

Originally posted by Ketten09 View Post
            I also have a dream to build a Sdkfz 251 Ausf D. There is only me and a small garage, with limited budget like yourself, but I still collect parts when I can and restore them. Like you said ' will I actually build a 251, it's a dream and only time will tell'.
            I suppose the best bit of advice is, don't spend your money on original parts if it's going to be a reproduction 251, it will workout very costly. Try to work out how you can produce the components with what you have and what mass produced components are about at reasonable prices, that would do the job. But don't stop dreaming.

timg,

I know what you tube is but what's drop? I started a you tube channel thingy but there was very little interest so I have ignored it.

Jon

Comment

Thank J

I suppose the best bit of advice is, don't spend your money on original parts if it's going to be a reproduction 251, it will workout very costly. Try to work out how you can produce the components with what you have and what mass produced components are about at reasonable prices, that would do the job. But don't stop dreaming.

timg,

I know what you tube is but what's drop? I started a you tube channel thingy but there was very little interest so I have ignored it.

Jon
              Hi Jon,

Sorry for lack of clarity, that's what I meant a small vid of the first engine and running tests and ultimately one of the completed item on the move. Would be quite impressive to back up the pictoral posts you have been doing on the forum.

Regards

Comment

Evening All,

I hope that you are all safe and well.

I haven't done much since the last update as the sun's been out and it's time to get the garden done. I have started the polyurethane casting mould for the road wheels but I am waiting for a new cutter to arrive for the milling machine and at the moment it takes a little bit of imagination to see the finished item.

Apart from that, I now have eight track return rollers with tyres on but not finished, as the polyurethane takes about eight days to go off and I can't finish machine them until they have hardened.
                Attached Files

Comment

Quite the project you've on the go Johann. I've been following your posts with bated breath, as I imagine everyone else has while they've been keeping track of your astonishing work. Just a question regarding the polyurethane that you're using for the road wheels and return rollers. I'm "assuming" that the original wheels were banded with vulcanized rubber, so how do you imagine that the polyurethane will hold up under use as compared to what ever compound was used on the originals? BTW, and please take this as it's meant to be. Do you have a stash of Scho ka kola or Pervitin to dig into while you're working on the Panzer?
                  I can't imagine any other way of accomplishing what you have in the time period that you've presented, without a little boost to keep it all in perspective. : )
                  Regards
                  Bern

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                    Quite the project you've on the go Johann. I've been following your posts with bated breath, as I imagine everyone else has while they've been keeping track of your astonishing work. Just a question regarding the polyurethane that you're using for the road wheels and return rollers. I'm "assuming" that the original wheels were banded with vulcanized rubber, so how do you imagine that the polyurethane will hold up under use as compared to what ever compound was used on the originals? BTW, and please take this as it's meant to be. Do you have a stash of Scho ka kola or Pervitin to dig into while you're working on the Panzer?
                    I can't imagine any other way of accomplishing what you have in the time period that you've presented, without a little boost to keep it all in perspective. : )
                    Regards
                    Bern
                    Morning Bern,
                    Thanks for posting.

In truth the polyurethane is an unknown area to me and I am just trusting the manufacturers advice. I am however confident that the polyurethane has bonded to the steel hub, how it will wear, only time will tell, although from what I am told the tyres on tanks doesn't last that long anyway. When I removed the first roller from the mould I was struck by how soft the compound was, however after 8 days it is totally different and feels more like hard rubber.

Putting the polyurethane on the road wheels is going to be interesting, quite how the mould will perform, being so large and how the poly will flow around it concerns me. I might have to enlist the wife's assistance and pour it from two positions, however this would make for a more turbulent flow and hence entrap more air into the liquid.

No artificial stimulants around here, just the love and encouragement of my wife. The thing that really keeps me going, is the challenge of producing each component and ultimately the end goal of a complete vehicle.

Jon

Comment

Ah yes, the love and understanding of a patient wife is a bonus when working on a project, especially one of the scale and magnitude of yours. Speaking of the wife and I don't mean to pry, but what geographical area of Wales are you located in? I only ask, as my wife of 35 years jumped on the opportunity to cross the pond during the winter of 2014-2015 to work for a month and a half at the Black Bear pub in Bettws Newydd, South Wales. The owner of the pub, a good friend of ours, had family in North Wales, so my wife managed to see much of your beautiful country and visit many of it's historical landmarks while she was there. BTW, I believe one of the local residents, not far from Bettws Newydd , is/was also an armour enthusiast and from what I can remember, used to drive his FV430 on the narrow stonewall lined roads and occasionally drop in at the pub. Anyway, keep up the great work on your PzII, as I'm sure that she's going to be a beauty.
                      Regards
                      Bern

Comment

Hello Bern,

Our nearest town is Newtown but we live up in the hills where men are men and the sheep are nervous.

Jon

Comment

Evening All,

A week of lock down done and I heard on the radio it could last for 13 weeks, so progress will slow right down but it will continue until the materials run out.

I have finished the mould for the drive wheels, it's made on the same principle as the return roller mould but bigger. I am worried that because of the amount of polyurethane required, about 6.5 litres, it will have problems filling from a single pour and although I am loth to use a double pour, I have constructed the mould with two pouring holes.

Jon
                          Attached Files

Comment

more pics.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Two more
                              Attached Files

Comment

Evening All,

I thought that as I was making moulds, I might as well make the mould for the suspension arm radius bump stops.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X