X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir you are truly amazing !!

Comment

Originally posted by Lampwick View Post
      What was the function of the two small pieces of tubing at the front of the seat? They don't seem to have any bearing on any other part of the frame even when folded.
      The backrest fits on either end of the seat base but only folds down at one end.
      Attached Files

Comment

Your Panzer is coming on a treat. One day it will be finished and you will have the best toy ever keep up the good work.

Comment

I know nothing about tanks or any military vehicle but this has to be the most enjoyable thread I have ever read through on any forum, simply stunning work, I can't thank you enough for such utter enjoyment, your skills are outstanding.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Saufaenger kid View Post
            I know nothing about tanks or any military vehicle but this has to be the most enjoyable thread I have ever read through on any forum, simply stunning work, I can't thank you enough for such utter enjoyment, your skills are outstanding.

Gary
            Gary and Eddie,

Praise indeed but I am only doing what I enjoy and realising that there are people out there that enjoy my pain is a real plus.

Jon

Comment

Building a Panzer from scratch, incredible!! What workmanship!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lampwick View Post
                What was the function of the two small pieces of tubing at the front of the seat? They don't seem to have any bearing on any other part of the frame even when folded.
                This is just a guess, but it looks like the seat back could be pulled out and put into them, making a seat that would face into the body of the tank. Maybe just as simple as to allow the crew to face each other during meal breaks or something?

Comment

I would think that originally, the operator sat facing the rear of the tank so that he would have a view out of the vision slot, he could raise and lower the aerial, adjust the radiator cooling shield and operate the radio. Maybe it was found that if he sat facing the front of the tank he could still do all of the above, albeit with greater difficulty but he was in a better position to help the commander with the functioning of the guns, passing ammunition etc. To do this and be able to exit the tank via the rear escape hatch the seat back rest, would need to fold down.
                  Pure speculation but who knows.

Jon
                  Attached Files

Comment

Jon,

Absolutely amazing skills and workmanship you have. Not too many people have the patience and skill to build their own Panzer. I've enjoyed this thread from the start. I thnk the real pain will come when you try to get in out of your Panzer. I believe you stated that you are not a small lad....like most of the early Panzermanner.

Originally posted by johann mor View Post
                    Gary and Eddie,

Praise indeed but I am only doing what I enjoy and realising that there are people out there that enjoy my pain is a real plus.

Jon

Comment

Jon, keep going bud I'm always interested to see how your work has progressed

Comment

Oh no, now I've got to wait for more posts. Speechless, which is saying something for me. And I thought my 1:16 scratch interiors were complicated. You're building a working tank!!! Standing ovation here.

However are you going to do the tracks? Are you having them cast?

Comment

Evening All,

The ammunition for the MG34 machine gun, in the early versions of the Panzer ll, was loaded into saddle drum magazines, these were stored along the hull side behind the driver.

The saddle drums were expensive to manufacture, bulky to store and apparently they had a tendency to cause stoppages, so later models were supplied with Gurtsacs to hold the ammunition. A canvas bag with a steel top, it was still quite complex but easier to store and cheaper to manufacture.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The Gurtsacs were stored in the same area as the saddle drums but the storage method was far simpler to manufacture, being just a horizontal lip that the Gurtsacs slipped over. You can just make it out on the picture below.
                            The above picture is from the Tank museums Ausf F and as I have no pictures of the interior of a Ausf C with the MG34 ammunition stored in Gurtsacs I have had to base my work on the information that I have.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Bolted to the upper left hand side of this structure, would have been a carrier for the radio operators gas mask canister.

That's all folks.

Jon
                              Attached Files

Comment

Evening All,

I am trying to finish all the components in the area around the radio operators seat. The loading plan shows the gas mask container holder, a water bottle or feldflasche holder ( marked in blue) and a bracket to hold the morse code key (marked in red).

You can see the morse key and the water bottle brackets on these two internal pictures in the panzer ll at the tank museum.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X