No announcement yet.

Dr Fritz Todt award - good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi ! Something to think about: Here in Germany, the dates have always a point after the number ! So also a date on: badges or medals is like this: 20.4.1938, 8.4.44 and so on !

Comment

Of course you are right.

Many TR fakes are made in countries other than Germany and the fakers, as well as most of the collectors ,do not realise the importance of getting the German 100% correct.

When it comes to Luftwaffe Honour Salvers, many fakes can be spotted because the fakers use an English "1" in the date instead of the German which looks more like a number "7".

In the case of the Fritz Todt Awards, I think that the fakers have simply copied the numbers stamped on the gold award which Forman sold in 1993. This badge is a real enigma to me because it looks 100% correct apart from the numbers on the reverse which I assume were added at a later date.

Stan

Comment

Here's a vet bring back which I bought in the UK 1988. Sadly, I sold it to Detlev many years later and have always regretted it.

As you will see on the reverse, the recipient has had the details of his original award engraved onto the reverse of this private-purchase example. Not only is the engraving typically German for the period, it has the dots between the dates.

It also proves that original award No. 3 was a Silver grade and not Gold.

Stan
        Attached Files

Comment

Stan,
          Thanks for sharing this.

It makes me re-think my previous post. These are very puzzling.

John
          Last edited by Volksturmer; 02-14-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

nice

Stan you are a wealth of information .
            that was very interesting
            Regards Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Reinhard2 View Post
              What I know for sure is that the Dr. Fritz Todt badges are made from zinc with horizontal lines on the back. The Dr. Ing. Fritz Todt badges in silver and gold are made from alloy with a polished swastika.
              Reinhard2 confirmed to me recently that by “alloy” he means “Cupal” which is what I have been saying all along.

Stan

Comment

Here's another of the "Rounded-Beak" variety which I found in an auction catalogue from 2006 which amused me.

They claimed that it was awarded to "Fritz Butenhoff, SS-Obersturmfuehrer in Stabe der Standarte SS- Der Fuehrer".

Fortunately, no-one believed the hype and it didn't sell.

Stan
                Attached Files

Comment

Stan,
                  That’s sort of damning evidence against the round-beak type.
                  Just saying.

John

Comment

Here's another one which appears to be the same as Kenny posted in #18 which has the rounded beak and fat swas.

As you will see, the description is "Sammleranfertigung" or "made for collectors".

Stan
                    Attached Files

Comment

Stan,

Ouch. Another damning piece of information.

That may explain the shadow that hangs over this rounded beak type version.
                      Playing devil’s advocate, could the badge for collectors be a copy of an original?
                      I really don’t think so.
                      To paraphrase 2 famous authors in our field- forgive me, but this is from memory - ‘As regards to fakes, you the collector are the one who must ultimately be satisfied’ - Angolia.
                      ‘If there is doubt, the piece is usually bad.’ Ailsby

IMO only, gentlemen.

John
                      Last edited by Volksturmer; 03-07-2020, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X