No announcement yet.

Help with a Party Badge, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not saying you guys are wrong, but comparisons of the two are two different examples totally. Is it possible , as summized on other threads that hardware was manufactured and jobbed out to different makers. The badge seems to have a lot of personality, age, and such, regardless of the pin, this is a tough one to crack. The obvious fake doesnt have that pressed ring around the back edge , seen on originals, and it would be interesting to see the same pin on another fake anyway. The pimples under the red enamel are totally different, lettering too are very different(even their spacing) , maybe james noble can weigh in, as he seems to have a handle on these regular badges opinion wise. I can't say for sure why they dont match regarding pin, and badge markings.
    but the points of all the different opinions ,are all worth considering .

The M on the RZM almost touches the R on the fake and does touch the Z(not like the other one which has even spacing), the M looks different in the M number, the 2 'S ARE different totally in style, just pointing that out, and the safety hook is shorter on the one that started the thread than the obvious shiny faKE.
    Last edited by juoneen; 06-03-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Anyone have another badge with the same PIN makings for comparison?(not the badge markings)
      Last edited by juoneen; 06-03-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Jobbing out maker-marked pinplates makes absolutely no sense. Why allow pinplate makers to advertise on your badge instead of buying them plain.

Just because there are differences in the two badges doesn't mean one is original. The double marked one has been around for almost a decade. There are repros of repros. The puffy enamel around the letters is a giveaway of a fake - shows it was made with modern fill enamel and not period vitreous glass and polished flat. Likely will melt under a heated pin as well unlike originals.

Nicholas Morigi has sold this badge for years: http://www.nicholasmorigi.com/show_pic.php?id=W4164

Note the stamped ring around the back edge. I bet the dots line up. Here is the page (item W4164)

Stephen
        Last edited by sjl; 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Here's a photo of a fake badge like the one at the top from some web supplier back around 2003.

Stephen

Comment

A point I tried to make in my original note on this thread was the possibility that random jewelers purchased metal findings from a variety of badge manufacturers, to be used when called upon to repair a broken badge. I don't assume that an NSDAP member who found himself with a broken badge pin took the trouble to return it to its source for repair -- though perhaps I'm wrong here? I would suspect that he would have taken it to his local jeweler and had it repaired there, and jewelers would have bought supplies of pin plates and other findings to have on hand for such needs. If a jeweler bought findings from the firm of Paul Schulze & Co., I doubt that the jeweler would have felt any compunction about attaching a new pin to an NSDAP Membership Badge with one of Schulze's pin plates, regardless of whose RZM license number was found on the broken badge.

Br. James

Comment

That's a lot of broken M1/128 badges fixed by various local jewelers using P. Schulze pinplates...

Comment

Indeed, Stephen, indeed; your point is taken. I hope that my point sounds at least plausible... There is a myriad of repaired pins and badges all across our hobby, not just NSDAP Membership Badges; how often we see some event badge or the like with a replaced pin! And while I have never seen such a thing, I don't find it completely out of the question that a GPB holder might have taken a broken badge to his local jeweler to have the pin replaced -- and we do see a number of GPBs with replaced pins, don't we? Someone had to replace those pins, and from the often odd replacements we've seen affixed to the reverse of the occasional GPB...stickpins, brooch pins, jewelry chains and fasteners, etc...I would never think that, should a GPB turn up at some point with a pin plate soldered to its reverse marked "P. Schulze & Co., Lübeck," it is a fake badge. I hope you agree. Best regards, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

True - although the standard party pin was less than a buck to buy a replacement. Most repaired ones weren't worth the effort, so you mostly see sloppy, obvious home-made repairs if at all with lots of solder on the back.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X