This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric Von Rader View Post
    Looks like a replacement insert on "speck 2".
    I think you're right. The wooden 'liner' on the inside of the case still looks very different to the wood used in spec 1 – almost like a kind of prototype.

Comment

Here is my AH match box ...

Interesting to note the metal striker. I have owned at least 6 AH match box’s but never this variant with its original metal striker plates.
      Attached Files

Comment

Is that another variant, or the same one pictured from your site in Spec 1 above?

Comment

Same but with metal match striker. Only seen one

This one is complete with metal match striker

Comment

Most antique rectangular match safes (not the AH examples specifically) were made to fit the wood and paper or wood and cardboard commercial match boxes of the period. The match box, whether vest pocket type or table boxes--would slip into the metal holder, which would have a cutout on one side or both, exposing the strike strip on the wood box's side. If the matches used were the 'strike anywhere' type, they could light by striking against a rough metal strip. Safety matches, however, would not as they need the special treated strike strip to light.
            I don't know if that helps to explain the construction of these examples, but hopefully clarifies why standard match safes in general were made this way.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Informal pattern AH Silverware

Does anyone know when AH started using the informal pattern silverware? where was the informal pattern silverware found? there is very little information on the net about the informal pattern silverware. any and all help would be appreciated, thank you!

Comment

"Does anyone know when AH started using the informal pattern silverware?"

The simple answer is "No," at least in my experience. The AH Informal Pattern of tableware, produced by Peter Bruckmann & Sons as was the AH Formal (State) Pattern, was found ("liberated") in some of the established locations where Hitler resided, and pieces of this pattern were brought back to the USA by returning GIs post-war. There is no solid specific provenance for the AH Informal Pattern, other than that pieces of that pattern were among collections of tableware known to have been obtained at some of Hitler's residences.

The questions have long been as to what the Informal Service was used for: Was it intended for luncheon service, or perhaps private meals at Hitler's residences, as opposed to large public gatherings where the State Service would be more appropriate? Were both services created at the same time, or is one later than the other? It is assumed that the Informal Service was designed by Troost Atelier, where the Formal Service was designed...

Many questions exist, to be sure, but the answers are shrouded in history! I have been interested in the AH Informal Service for many years and find it to be both elegant and understated, unlike the AH Formal Pattern, which while also elegant, it is more appropriate for use by a major world leader such as the German Reichschancellor! Other examples of Bruckmann's work are to be found in the Reichschancellory Pattern, which includes the same eagle as the AH Informal Pattern, though with "RK" replacing "AH" on the handles, and Gauleiter Fritz Sauckel of Thüringen possessed a set of silverware produced by the Bruckmann firm similar to the AH Informal Pattern, though with his own Gau design.

I hope this is helpful to you, and do stay safe,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Smith View Post
                  This one is complete with metal match striker
                  Do you know where this one surfaced, Brent?

Comment

Originally posted by airborne1942 View Post
                    Does anyone know when AH started using the informal pattern silverware? where was the informal pattern silverware found? there is very little information on the net about the informal pattern silverware. any and all help would be appreciated, thank you!
                    I can only echo what BR James has already said. Informal pieces were found at all of Hitler's residences/buildings and, so far, no records have emerged as to when it was first made.

My hunch is it was designed and made prior to the formal pattern pieces, which seem to be a more elaborate iteration of the 'less fancy' informal style.

Chris

Comment

Informal pattern AH. Best guess 1936

I think the AH informal pattern was produced in 1936. My best guess Brent

Comment

Not original, don’t waste your money on this junk.

Comment

I'm with CPB. To top it off, it doesn't even look like the party eagle is centered between the spout and handle.
                          https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

While the Austrian firm of Berndorfer Metallwarenfabrik Artur Krupp A.G. did produce cutlery and tableware during the TR era -- I have a master butter knife made there for the Hotel Kaiserhof in Berlin -- I believe the Sachsen firm of August Wellner’s Sons provided the non-cutlery tableware bearing the "AH and eagle" for Hitler's state and private services.

Br. James

Comment

AH Informal pattern

My first piece of AH informal pattern silverware
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X