JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SA-MARINE MUSICIANS BROWNSHIRT the real deal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes--if you have good light (or take the shirt into the sunlight) and lay a black item (I compared it to the black of the armband) on top you can see they're dark navy blue.
    I had thought they were, but hadn't really scrutinized them since first obtaining the shirt.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

I found early regulation wich said the Lyra had to be worn on the left collar tab. Than later in the SA-Dienstvorschrift it said the Musikzugführer only wore the Lyra, and than without Schwalbenesten. Musik-Zug members wore Schwalbenesten, but without Lyra. This is confirmed in the period master piece 'Uniformen der Braunhemden' from Eelking. So arround 1933 regulation concerning Music-groups are clear. This is also confirmed on period pictures in wear. Another point is that the first traces of Marine-Standarte 35 I found are from 1935, so after the publications in Eelking and the SADV. I even wouldn't be suprised when the period subscription posted here by Erich is in error.

Comment

I found the information in a Cord von Einem booklet, and I have it in another period booklet (although it might also be a von Einem edition or one by Bässler--still checking). My thought is that it was possibly in error, but was likely followed for some time at least. Judging by the continued admonitions printed in the SA VB regarding insignia and uniform wear, the early SA seemed to have a problem with clarifications of regulations and dissemination of instructions--hence the members of Reiterstürme who wore two shoulder boards on the brownshirt due to misunderstanding the regulations, or bandsmen with various sized fringes to the Swallows' Nests who were not supposed to be wearing them.
        I don't have period photos of this specific shirt being worn during the 30s, and I wasn't present when the insignia was applied, whether in 1933, 35, or after the war. I found the shirt to be plausible and the insignia is well applied and seems to show the same amount of age and light wear as the shirt. It could certainly be rebadged or not. When I bought it, it was still during the period when very few collectors wanted SA material and there were few postwar references that referenced SA insignia.
        If nothing else, it does make an interesting conversation starter!
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X