This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
    While these would not be found in most SS families Haus : one being only for the grieving family and the other apparently kept for official SS weddings,
    but highly cultural none the less.
    Cultural in the Anthropological sense, anyway.
    Michael,
    appreciate your post on the MK caskets. I see it your way !

Comment

Yes,

nice examples for sure.

Since I was invited here with words like velvet to share pics of some pieces:

I am looking forward to share them with you here.

Don, would you like to receive them first and do the job to show them here?

That would enable all of us to get this amazing thread back to it´s topic and enjoy pieces and knowledge and if I appeared to be rude in front of both of you, Michael, and you, Don, I regret for my mistakes.

I am seriously working on paying back the money to Michael and made a mistake that I will never do again by trusting another collector from Spain who miserably failed in paying a group of furniture which he bought from me via phone call and E-mail contact.

I know that it is no excuse but maybe helps to understand the whole thing.

Right now that´s all I can do and I try my best to give back to Michael what belongs to him as soon as possible.
      Last edited by Thorsten B.; 07-21-2010, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Thorsten, I appreciate your comments. Thank you for that.

Michael, you have some nice examples there!

Comment

Here is a very "special" building...somewhere in the Hannover area...notive the inscription....and date....about the door....and the Runen of course...
          Attached Files

Comment

WOW!!
            Where is this building? Even via PM!
            Are the inscription all pre-45??

Stunning!

Comment

Very nice farmhouse.Unbelievable that it is still standing

Here my small contribution;one of my new books:

Lichtfeier,it's all about the celebrations around christmas/weihnachten.Even with songs,notes and text in it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Dear all,

Can some one give me more info about the wooden bread plates.

What were they use for, are they still using today?

Many thanks in advance.

Rene

Comment

I give it a try:

Wooden bread plates were first in use in the real meaning of the word: for putting bread on the table, especially in farm houses in villages and smaller cities up to about 10.000 inhabitants.
                  Therefore there were often - and way before 1933 - decorated with carved dedications longing for protection of the house, families life, begs against poverty and the need for daily bread which was pending on the weather sometimes a hard job.
                  A plate with a bread on top means life, contentness, even richness.

Therefore sometimes one can find a dedication like this: "Hartes Brot zu essen ist nicht hart. Kein Brot zu haben, das ist hard."
                  Translation: "Eating hard (dried) bread is not hard. No bread to eat, that is hard".

Another typical christian dedication is: "Unser täglich Brot gib uns heute".
                  = "Give us our daily bread".

This type of dedication was used before, within and after TR period.

Comment

Now let´s come to TR period:

Circles of strong nationals, pagan and völkisch oriented people used for the dedications sentences out of the Edda, like: "Heil dem Gast der zu uns kommt."
                    = "Heil (Greetings/Good health/Good fortune) to the guest who visits us."

That included already the possibility that not only bread but other fruits of the field could be on the plate to serve that to guests.

The NS movement was born in the darkest period of Germany in the 20th century and decades after industrialisation took place - where people believed that no poverty/hunger could hurt them anymore.
                    But with any war poverty is mostly included and the former proud and rich Kaiserreich was blown away - great poverty and hunger and starvation bringing in.

From around 1916 hunger was always there!

And so for the NSDAP bread became a symbol of life - folkish and healthy life!

Away with the "parasites", "thieves" and "all criminal insurgents" who take the bread away from german soil and soul!

Bread was uploaded - just as a sideeffect of hunger already - with terms of freedom, being one Volk and nation again - and becoming strong and powerful again.

Comment

So protecting and taking care of the daily bread meant protecting the germanic Volk und Rasse.

It became an important ideological pillar and content of advertisement/propaganda for the NSDAP.

And since the SS sacrified this movement by giving member´s lifes for protecting Hitler and the german Volk as a whole bread became a sacrified symbol as well - combined with another important pillar: turning back to a natural and healthy style of daily life and away from massive industrialisation and it´s negative influences and effects on the folkish body (Volkskörper), the race.

So within the SS it became a ritual (that had to e praticed) within the wedding ceremony.

Comment

Dear Thorsten,

Many thanks for this

So, just like for example the Julleuchter, the bread plate was not a real TR item. But these items were used (or abused) during the TR period.

And by looking to the dedication on the bread plate you can say which period it came from.

Again thanks!

Best regards,

Rene

Comment

Coming to the different types of SS wedding plates:

I am aware of two different versions.
                          The oval one which is pictured in the SS-Kalender from 1939 bearing the dedication and combined with the Hagal rune:"Seid des Brotes der Heimaterde immer würdig, dann lebt euere Sippe ewig."

= "Be always worth of the bread of native soil, then your kin will liver forever."

The second one:"Ehret die Scholle die euch/uns ernährt."
                          That version - round or oval - is pictured in the Weitzel book, standing in the middle of the family chest.

Comment

Rene,

Your conclusion is partially right and partially wrong.

Bread plates have been there before within and after NS period.

But only within NS period they really were religious/cultic pieces of highest importance and held in much higher regard than before and after NS period.

And only within NS period there were many different versions and most of them combined within their use in the circle of the year.

1933-1945 was a different time and these pieces have to be seen and recognized as part of the movement and new religion.

Wood, iron and clay were judged to be the most important germanic material and so they were most important for reorganising a germanic life-style, especially within the SS.

And apart from that: for sure the Julleuchter was a real TR item.

How do you come to a different opinion?

Only because Herman Wirth used a nordic farmer´s candleholder and somehow copied it?

A Julleuchter has NEVER been in use before 1935 in old Germany before.

Yes, in Skandinavia but not in Germany.

Comment

Dear Thorsten,

Again many thanks for reply

What I mean about the Julleuchter is that IMHO the item was already used in the Nordic countries (Sweden etc.) before 1933. (Article Militaria - Nov/Dec 2000 number 6)

Again thanks for your great explanation, the subject is very interesting.

Thanks and best regards,

Rene

Comment

That Farm house is a real jewel and all it needs is an ERBHOF sign!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X