X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

Andreas,

It looks like traditional hand cross-stitched work, wool/cotton on linen probably home made, maybe made in your neighbours home by the Mother, Grandmother etc. I don't know where you are but the design, symbols could well be traditional in your locality or where your neighbours family comes from? The eagle at a guess look East Prussian in style.
      Last edited by Steve T; 01-14-2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

That´s stitched by hands, probably a typical exercise and homework being a teenie in the 20ties - 50ties. It is a mixture of folkish, pagan and christian content which could very well fit in the TR period as well.

Nice to see them being saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
          The eagle at a guess look East Prussian in style.
          that would be where I am

thanks for the help

Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
            . It is a mixture of folkish, pagan and christian content which could very well fit in the TR period as well.

Nice to see them being saved.

thanks for the help

Comment

Big boy

Here is another huge plate from my collection with an interestingly carved quotation from the Edda again: "Heil dem Gast der zu uns kommt" = "Heil to the guest that visits us".

The back bears two intertwined runic letters as the mark of it´s master carver.

This piece has an impressive diameter of 36 cm
              Attached Files

Comment

THorsten, unusual style of letters for sure, I like it

It looks to have a very thick coat of shellac/varnish or is this due to the flash/photography?

Comment

Special one

And now a presentation plate for the first son of a family:

"Enkel von heute - Ahnherr von morgen" = "Grandson of today - forefather of tomorrow".

In Weitzel´s family book such a plate is described and when celebrating the birthday of the child a light of life is supposed to be put in the middle of the plate while putting it for that celebration onto the family chest.

It´s the only one I ever came across.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Steve,

the big one is in pristine untouched original condition and it´s surface gleams like a westphalian bacon!

I know that a better quality of the pics would represent much more the aura of these pieces - like your fascinating pics and pieces do - but I try to develope step by step ;-)

I will show some more soon.

Comment

Boden und Blut = Heilig Gut!

Steve,

This one might come from the same maker like the one being shown here before by yourself, diameter is 31 cm.

I will probably take this to the local restorer to refresh it to it´s full glory again - some pieces just have too much patina due to bad storage conditions over the decades.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This one needs a doctor for sure - but very rare dedication:

"Nahrung ist Waffe - 1944" = "Food is weapon - 1944"

Diameter is 28,5 cm.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another specialty

Here the right one for celebrating harvest festival (thanksgiving) on the family chest:

Two times six different typical german fruits combined with their leaves.

No bananas and kiwi but:

Cherry - strawberry - apple - plum - grape - pear.

Diameter is 33 cm and on it´s back it´s been well carved as well.
                          Attached Files

Comment

And another plate for the same event:

This is a big buddy as well with a diameter of 36 cm - note that the fruits ought to be put on the plate in a circle around the carved wheat and grape in the center.

Definitely enough place for doing so on this one
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice selection of plates Thorsten

Comment

I think that Thorsten and Steve have cornered the market on these interesting pieces of NSDAP culture. Great plates guys and thanks for posting them!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X