Hitlers Bricks on estand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKman,

You have the right to sell whatever items you want, for what price you want.

I think that alot of collectors have a bad taste in thier mouths when it comes to Hitler memorabilia.

We all have had people offer us things they think is Hitler's for a variety of reasons, some rediculas (It has a swastika on it!), to more plausable (found in Bertchesgarten) and then ole Charlie pedals stuff all the time to our amusement or horror.

What I am saying is anytime someone offers a Hitler item you should be ready for a battle to prove it is what it is. However the battle should not be about price, or "back in the ole days" sayings, or personal attacks.

Paul

Comment

Bricks

Assuming you buy the story - hook, line, and sinker. Then your best friend comes by your house and you tell him, "Boy, do I have something to SHOW YOU!!." You then proceed to show him the brick and explain it's from Hitler's house. His response would probably be, "Wow! How do you know that?" Then you'd tell him that the guy on E-bay said so. And that's the BEST CASE scenario. Not exactly the best example of iron-clad provenance.

Comment

Bricks

EK Man - Don't take the comments too seriously. There's nothing wrong with selling anything you want. But you can't honestly expect people not to be skeptical when offering an item that doesn't even resemble a Third Reich item, and that virtually nobody is familiar with. A medal, even a fake one at least looks like something made in Germany. Only a brick historian could even tell the differences between an old brick made in Hannover, Germany and one made in Hanover, Pennsylvania. Even if it was determined the brick was from Germany, how does anyone prove it was from a specific house, without being at that location personally.

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
          EK Man - Don't take the comments too seriously. There's nothing wrong with selling anything you want. But you can't honestly expect people not to be skeptical when offering an item that doesn't even resemble a Third Reich item, and that virtually nobody is familiar with. A medal, even a fake one at least looks like something made in Germany. Only a brick historian could even tell the differences between an old brick made in Hannover, Germany and one made in Hanover, Pennsylvania. Even if it was determined the brick was from Germany, how does anyone prove it was from a specific house, without being at that location personally.

That is at least a sensible comment for which I thank you in comparison to some of the asinine crap that has been posted in this thread by others who apparently did not even bother to familiarize themselves with the content of previous posts before wading right in and embarrassing themselves. I can understand and sympathize with being skeptical, a collector of Hitler memorabilia needs to be not just a skeptic but be down right paranoid! Because if you think fake Iron Crosses abound, you should try to weed out fakes in my neck of the woods with the manure and fantasy items that are churned out daily.

Anyway, like I said, I don't mind people being skeptical and I don't even mind people not believing me when I tell them that these really are what I say they are. What has rankled me is the heckling tone that this thread has taken when I would imagine that out of most of the people who have posted here, I know more about Hitler items than the majority of them. And I know that many other older members who became very knowedgeable in a particular area got fed up with the same thing. Some time ago, I think we lost a great helmet guy because he got tired of being given grief over everything helmet related by people who really had no place to argue helmet posts with him, and not just in a manner of wanting to learn something, but in just the same tone that this thread has taken.

Seems I used to be quite a bit more tolerant of BS before I went overseas, but since I got back my fuse has been rather short.
          Last edited by EKman; 07-04-2008, 06:47 AM.
          Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
          All the best,
          Chris

Comment

I think it all comes down to personal taste, those of you that want a brick, buy one and those of you that don't, don't buy one.

An item is worth what some one is prepared to pay for it.......just because an item is valued at $100000000000000 doesn't mean you will get that for it and vise versa.

No point in getting into an argument about it, just live and let live and most of all have fun doing it.

Comment

I am holding out for a carpet with tooth and chew marks.

Comment

It all boils down to a few facts and observations:
                1. Based on Chris' posts, participation, etc. I truly believe that these bricks are probably what he states they are. '
                2. Bricks, tiles, boards, nails or any other item not expressly manufactured for the TR for use as political/military/civil service items, but rather for utilitarian purposes that are of a distinctly mundane nature usually are worth very little and the market bears this out. Such items are usually little more than curiosities that are "sidekicks" for any display.
                3. As Sal stated, the original person that obtained this type item from the actual locality will know its origin and originality. Once it passes through any number of hands it becomes little more than an object with a story that may be unprovable by those that buy it in the future. As such it becomes the proverbial "hot potato" that everyone may believe is a true item, but for which few are willing to pay.
                4. Anyone can offer anything on the estand for what they feel is the going price for such an object. It is every viewer's personal decision whether they wish to but it at the offered price or not.
                5. Some mundane items do go for big bucks. Someone mentioned parts of the Berlin wall. How provable will those chunks of concrete be in another 50 years? I've seen supposed coal from the Titanic in chunks smaller than a dime sell for $50. Anything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
                6. We really should not disparage anyone on this forum but keep our discussions rational and civil when discussing anything, but this seems not to be possible and is, as Chris has already pointed out, why this forum has lost a large number of respected collectors over time.
                Richard V

Comment

I like the bricks and had I not got my own a few weeks ago with some surrepticious digging, I would be more than happy to buy one of these!

Hell, would have saved me the thousands I spent on vacation.

To each their own. Caveat emptor. Yet I would suggest that not many people who would go through the frustrations EKman has, if they were not what he states.

Best of luck on your bricks.

Comment

I'm not saying I don't believe the story, but the fact is that it has not been proven that these specific bricks came from the Berchtesgaden. All that has been proven is that they could have.

If I tried to sell my Ost medal as having belonged to a famous RK winner without proof, just that it could have belonged to him, I think a few people would be upset.

Comment

First, I have read the thread from start to end

Second, in fifty years the kids will say Berlin Wall...what wall? Better stick to the TR stuff I believe.

Third, I visited the Auschwitz-Birkenau KZ camps around '85. There lying on the ground (no I didn't break anything of) I found a piece of barbed wire which I picked up and brought home. That piece of wire I know is from the KZ and I would never sell it as it's a memorability plus I can never prove that it is from there, so why even try? The same thing goes for the bricks I'm afraid.

Comment

More Architectural Artifacts from Hitler's Guest House

Hi All

In support of Chris I will post my artifacts of historical importance to me.

While visiting the Eagles Nest area in 1983 I picked up some window crank pieces and bath tiles from the Guest House. I do not know if it still stands, but it was a kick picking up what for me was a piece of history. Although just mortar and steel, it still came from the Guest House. Also a piece of Conduit and some other Iron thingie with mortar pieces.

Provenance is I picked it up and lugged it all over Europe. I never thought of offering them for sale, but heck if a Jesus image on a Potato Chip sells on Ebay, why not my little pieces of History.. I am entering into negotiations to trade with Chris.

Rich
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by collector rich; 07-06-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Tile with Maker name....What is maker

Tile with a maker name on it. Anyone know this name???
                            Attached Files

Comment

1983 Guest House Ruin

Guest House
                              Attached Files

Comment

Garage AH

Garage AH
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X