This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Dagger

Here's a nice dagger my grandfather gave me. His brother went to Germany at some point early post war and brought back lots of german militaria. He gave my grandfather this, a panzer tank badge and few other things that, after sitting in a drawer for 40 years or so, he gave to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dblmed View Post
      [B]
      What is also amazing to me, is that the license was issued in September, 1944. By that time in the war,
      D-Day was 3 months past - Paris had been liberated - the Allies were near the Westwall -
      and the Russians were pressing the Eastern borders of the Reich(!)

Yet - in an almost indifference to it all, there was still time for some 'normalcy' in that this decoratated
      KC Trager, found time to enjoy his passion of the Hunt (!) It shows that Life goes on - even
      with the craziness of War, all around him. GREAT Item! ... Txs, Dave/dblmed
      Dave,

Yes, normal life continued….. the nice hunting license of “Saufaenger Kid” isn’t the record holder of a Jagdschein (hunting license) regarding a late issue date. I have one which was renewed on 12th April 1945 in a small town in Northern Germany – six days later, said city was occupied by British troops.

Also I have an application for issuing a hunting license dated 13th March 1945.

On the back is the approval by the Kreisjägermeister – dated 15th March 1945……

Yes, people did care for such unimportant things in these days. Hard to imagine, but true.

Regards

Martin

Comment

Gentlemen,

for those who are interested:

an overview of the three variations of the III. Reich hunting licenses in comparision with the last two variations of the Prussian hunting licenses:

The III. Reich hunting licenses started in 1935 – simply because this was the starting point of the Reichs hunting Law valid for whole Germany. Before 1935, every German State had its own hunting law – and own hunting licenses, valid only in the particular State. In fact, the III. Reich hunting Law was nothing else but a slightly amended version of the 1934 Prussian hunting Law.

You’ll note, the III. Reich licenses followed the Prussian design (Hunting licenses of e. g. Braunschweig, Sachsen, Baden, Bayern and so on had a totally different design).

To be honest: I did not know that in 1934 the Prussian design changed. It was mkbkbkrk (post #40, page 3) who presented his 1934 Prussian license from what I learned of this RARE variation, which was used in Prussia only in 1934/35.

The differences of a 1934/35 Prussian license and a 1935/36 III. Reich license can be seen in the next image:

The major key is in the square block:

In Prussia: “Gültig auf ein Jahr” (valid for one year)
        In the III. Reich: “Gültig im ganzen Reich” (Valid in the whole Reich).

The first and second variations of the III. Reich hunting license are quiet rare, while the third variation can be found easily. At least, as the yellow hunting license (for natives and valid for one year) is concerned.

Best regards

Martin

Comment

Congratulations to you, sauerfan / Martin!

Congratulations to you, sauerfan / Martin!

Your very nicely researched & photo-documentation of the Hunting License variations, is quite Impressive!

Thank you for taking the time which was required for your Posting & Images - as it is not a simple thing to do at all.

Yours is a wonderful "Learning From" Posting! ...Txs, Dave/dblmed

Comment

Martin, that is an excellent and informative presentation I had no idea there were so many variation! Many thanks for taking the time to prepare this and I hope to see and learn more from your wonderful collection!
            Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

Comment

Dave & Dave,

thanks for your compliments. Nice to get a cordial feedback. (Dave/dblmed: you’re right: post like this aren’t done in two minutes).

Anyway: here’s another one.

This is an “Ausweis” (ID card) for DJ officials. Normally, this kind of ID document was issued to Kreisjägermeister (district hunter chief (?)) upwards. But this one was issued to a Hegeringleiter what was the lowest DJ rank. Accordingly, the allowance

“He’s allowed to carry out the Game protection service in the above mention district when he’s wearing the DJ uniform”

was cancelled. A Hegeringleiter wasn’t allowed to do this, except in his own hunting range (Revier).

Regards

Martin
              P.S: Hopefully, these papers aren’t too boring. I have some more in my “grab bag”. Anybody who likes to see Wehrmacht hunting licenses?

Comment

Originally posted by sauerfan View Post
                Anybody who likes to see Wehrmacht hunting licenses?
                Yes Sir! Thanks for sharing and more please

Waidmannsheil,

Kimb.

Comment

Hi Martin,

Now that is a wonderful Ausweis! Thank you for sharing this rarity with us!

Going back to the above hunting license post you made, would you also have these 5 variations for the 3-day licenses (Tagesjagdschein)? And would it be safe is assume there were also 5 variations of the toll-free license (Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein)? Then would there only be 3 variations of the license for teenagers (Jahresjagdschein für Jugendliche) since it was called for in 1935? (I've always wondered if there was more reason why they used blue for teenagers?)

Would you also have an example for foreigners that you could show us? And since you mentioned it above, would you have some of the other pre-1935 states hunting licenses?

Do not worry about any of this being boring, there are some of us that greatly appreciate your efforts, seeing and learning about this subject!
                  Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

Comment

Did anyone here catch this fine offering today? Of course I put a buy in immediately when the update was available only to receive the typical "sorry sold" reply
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dave Cameron; 12-19-2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Originally posted by Dave Cameron View Post
                      Going back to the above hunting license post you made, would you also have these 5 variations for the 3-day licenses (Tagesjagdschein)? And would it be safe is assume there were also 5 variations of the toll-free license (Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein)? Then would there only be 3 variations of the license for teenagers (Jahresjagdschein für Jugendliche) since it was called for in 1935? (I've always wondered if there was more reason why they used blue for teenagers?)

Well, honestly, I’m not quiet sure, how many variations of the other sort of hunting licenses there were. Currently, I’ sure about the following:

1/ Tagesjagdschein (red): I’m currently aware of two different variations. But I’m quiet sure, there were three variations, following the differences of the Jahresjagdschein (yellow)

2/ toll-free (Gebührenfreier) Jagdschein (white): I’m aware of two variations. I don’t think, that there’s a third variation.

3/ Teenager Jugend-Jagdschein (blue, later white): I’m currently aware of three variations:

a/ I’ve seen one issued in 1935. This one was light blue and the design was like the first variation of the yellow ones (with text on the bottom).
                      b/ an other variation was of the late (?) thirties – this is blue. I’ll receive it soon and will show it here. This particular one was issued in 1942, but the date field is preprinted “valid from ….. 193…. to …… 193..” So, the form was printed in the thirties.
                      c/the real late ones – like the one shown already – are white. I don’t know why, but they are plain white.

Originally posted by Dave Cameron View Post
                      Would you also have an example for foreigners that you could show us? And since you mentioned it above, would you have some of the other pre-1935 states hunting licenses?
                      Unfortunately, I never have seen a III. Reich hunting license for foreigners. Not a single one. In a book for foresters of the thirties I found at least some illustrations how the different Prussian hunting licenses looked like:

You can expect, the III. Reich hunting licenses for foreigners will have looked very similar.

What I have are two blank Prussian foreigner hunting licenses of the time 1900 to 1910, approximately. This will give you an idea, how the colors looked like.

These are the only hunting licenses for foreigners I have. These are extremely rare – no matter of which period of time.

I’ll show some hunting licenses of the other States later. As well as the Wehrmacht hunting licenses are concerned (OK…. my relating question was a little bit like asking alcohol addicts: “Hey guys, I have two bottles of 12 years old Single Malt Whiskeys – do you like to have ‘em?” ); I’ll show them also in the next days.

Regards

Martin

Comment

Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein - Front

Thanks Martin! Really Super Information...

In your POST # 52, you discussed the Color differences of the various types of Hunting Licenses (& other very significant information!)

"...The reason for the difference in color is easy to explain: it's because of the law. More specifically, already the Prussians used different colors, what are fixed in the "Jagdscheingesetz" (Hunting License Act) of 1895. The colors mentioned are:

Jahresjagdschein (JJ; hunting license valid for one year): Yellow
                        Tagesjagdschein (TJ; hunting license valid for three days): Red
                        Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein (FJ; toll-free hunting license; for Foresters): White..."

I am interested in any information about the Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein (Forester's Hunting License), as I have this example in my collection.

Dave Cameron, in POST #67, shows a partial view of his Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein example, from his very fine collection.

Martin, you noted in your POST # 119, regarding the Number of Variations, as:

"...# 2/ toll-free (Gebührenfreier) Jagdschein (white): I’m aware of two variations. I don’t think, that there’s a third variation...."

Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein - Front ..... Txs, Dave/dblmed
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dblmed; 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein - Reverse

Gebührenfreier Jahresjagdschein (Forester's Hunting License) - Reverse

..... Txs, Dave/dblmed
                          Attached Files

Comment

Dave/dblmed,

as far as the variations of the toll-fee hunting licenses are concerned:

here’s a first variation:

As far as your second variation is concerned: hum, does it have only two sides? Normally, the renewal sheet(s) are inside the hunting license, attached to page 3. Could it be, pages 3 and 4 were cut off?

Dave (Cameron),

as requested, here are some of other States. I’ve chosen those issued in 1934, as this was already during the III. Reich period, but still under the particular State Laws.

Let’s start with Bayern (Bavaria - notice the Bavarian Forrester uniform):

Now Sachsen (Saxony):

Note: the termination date was cancelled. In Saxony a hunting license was valid from 1st September to 31st August. But the Reichs hunting Law came into force on 1st April 1935…..

Next: Württemberg (I have some in much better condition, but as I said: I’ve chosen the 1934/35 ones).

Finally, Braunschweig (Brunswick). This here is a toll-free Jagdschein (in Brunswick, these were green).

Regards

Martin
                            P.S: No, I did not see the early Tagesjagdschein. Too bad – that’s a variation still missing in my collection.

Comment

Martin, thank you very much for all the information and posting all those other states examples! That Bavarian example with the forester uniform is a fantastic example!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While searching for something else, I ran across this old thread that I had forgot about. It's about the Feld and Forst Hüter badges and worth being linked here.
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269996&highlight=armband

Comment

Gentlemen,

Meanwhile my teenager hunting license arrived.

Well, it has punch holes, but in this case I don’t care as it is a very rare document.

I guess, it’s the second (or third) variation of the Jugend-Jagdschein. Note the date field with “193….”. Obviously, the form was printed in the thirties but was issued in 1942.

Interesting also: it was issued in East Prussia in the county “Elchniederung”, one of the first counties which were overrun by the Soviets. Who knows, how this license (which lapsed in 1943) survived and how it made its way to the West.

BTW: the Jugend-Jagdschein was issued to 14 to 18 years old teenagers. It gave only limited rights: the teenager had to be accompanied by an adult person while hunting. Participation in drive hunts (or other forms of hunting with more than five hunters) were not allowed for owners of a teenager hunting license.

Regards

Martin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X