No announcement yet.

Show us your German POW photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one was taken at one of the largest POW Camps just outside Heilbronn, Germany
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz
      Mike,

Thanks your comments are much appreciated. Here are a couple of pics of POW's in a camp...quality isn't that good as expected toward the end of the war...some GI's still trying to work out their newly captured cameras...no doubt!!!
      YW Bill... Great collection. leaves something for me to aspire to.. It does seems that the quality of the pics I own from the German troops are of a better quality than the ones from US troops. That is of course generaly. Mike

Comment

Mike,

Thanks again!! German Soldiers had six years of wartime practice at taking pics!!! My Dad got a little practice with a captured Voitlander Camera. His used it alot after the war.

If anyone has any German POW photos feel free to post them on this thread!! If you don't have the capability send them to me but please format them first in a JPEG and size not to exceed 700 X 750 Thanks! - Bill

Comment

Here's a photo taken at Camp 198 / Special Camp: XI, Bridgend, South Wales in 1946.

Front: Generalmajor Werner Friebe RK and Generalmajor Henning Schönfeld RK
          Rear: Generalmajor Gottfried Fröhlich RK

Theres a very interesting site regarding this camp and it's inmates!

http://www.islandfarm.fsnet.co.uk/

/Ian
          Attached Files
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Ian,

Very nice POW Camp portrait photo...you don't see General Officer photos in the camps too often. I have a stack of these types of photos early ones show many of the POW's wearing their decorations...especially in the Canadian run POW Camps. I see diferences between the German POW Camps depnding on the country and distance away from mainland Europe. Thanks for joining in on this thread and sharing your photo. Bill
            Here are some pics of a German POW camp in the USA. the scene is a funeral of one of the German POW's. Location unknown but I'm thinking possibly Texas since there is a large contigent of Afrika Korps Soldiers in the photo.
            Attached Files

Comment

German POW Camp USA #2

Comment

Here is a German POW Camp 133 in Ottawa, Canada.Notice that every POW retians his uniform and in many cases his decorations. I have four other pics from this camp showing wear of badges and decorations Panzer, U-Boat, Pilot, etc.

Comment

German POW Camp 154 Swanscombe Greenhithe Kent GB. In this photo you notice the distinct lack of wear of their original uniforms and decorations. I believe it was due to security...being so close to the Mainland continent of Europe..possible escapes etc.
                  Attached Files

Comment

German POW Camp Bacarat, France 1946. War is over not much concern for escapes and wear of their Uniforms and decorations (if any were left after the GI's borrowed them).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Joachim Pracher, Fallschirm-Artillerie-Regiment 2

In London

Comment

Just posted this in a separate thread before I noticed this one on POWs

Comment

Hello Akira,

Great pics!! Nice to have you join in on the thread. Thanks for sharing you pics!! Bill

Here are some pics of a POW Camp in Weiden (near Grafenwoehr), Germany that held 25.000 POW's you can see how crowded the place is where alot of the cover is only Zeltbahn's and living in the dirt.

Comment

POW Camp Weiden Germany #2
                            Attached Files

Comment

POW Camp Weiden, Germany #3

Comment

POW Camp Weiden, Germany #4
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X