No announcement yet.

Show us your German POW photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 19 - 1a&b German POW out of Camp Barkeley (9 Miles SW of Abilene, TX). Seller states he was a member the 10th Panzer Division
    Attached Files

Comment

May 19 - 2a&b German POW out of Camp Barkeley (9 Miles SW of Abilene, TX). Seller states he was a member the 10th Panzer Division
      Attached Files

Comment

this one look very similar to brest. do you have the link to the website?
        https://pin.it/zetyhyobpexmof
        Originally posted by crowback View Post
        From a French web page - POWS with U. S. captors wearing cammies!

Comment

May 19 - 3 POW Portrait...Camp Unknown.
          Attached Files

Comment

May 8 POW

I guess he really wasn't taken prisoner was he???
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes of course he was...He was with Grand Admiral Dönitz who succeeded Hitler and was appointed to sign the second unconditional surrender of all German Forces by Dönitz. He then went into captivity and was tried at Nuremberg, convicted and hanged.

I guess he really wasn't taken prisoner was he???

Comment

Comment

My mistake. I meant to sat he wasn't really a POW, he was considered a war criminal.

Comment

Interesting that a lot of the POWS in Canada still have their badges which suggests they were not captured by GI'S! Rob
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I do understand that many high level officers and officials were identified as war criminals from the start and through the war. My point is many German soldiers/officers were captured/surrendered and became POWs before being sorted out and charged as war criminals and placed on trial. So I say they had to become POWs first before being tried. Some even managed to escape captivity by going home or seeking asylum in other countries and those identified as war criminals hunted down post war.

My mistake. I meant to sat he wasn't really a POW, he was considered a war criminal.

Comment

Agreed!
                        Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                        I do understand that many high level officers and officials were identified as war criminals from the start and through the war. My point is many German soldiers/officers were captured/surrendered and became POWs before being sorted out and charged as war criminals and placed on trial. So I say they had to become POWs first before being tried. Some even managed to escape captivity by going home or seeking asylum in other countries and those identified as war criminals hunted down post war.

Comment

Rob....I don't believe that is entirely true. The Canadians had a different view on treatment of POWs as evidenced in the photos but also I have many photos of German soldiers still wearing decorations/awards in the US camps as well. I know that many of the POWs captured were shipped by the US to not only the USA but Canada as well....even many initially imprisoned in the UK were transferred to the US & Canada as camps became overcrowded. But I know what you mean that the GI was especially souvenir hungry.

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
                          Interesting that a lot of the POWS in Canada still have their badges which suggests they were not captured by GI'S! Rob

Comment

May 19 - 4 POW Camp Unknown in the USA but Most likely in Texas
                            Attached Files

Comment

Edited....answer of my question is below..

Mods please delete.
                              sigpic

-=Always looking for French cadets infos at Shaw Field South Carolina 1944=-

Comment

Keep in mind that many POW's received decorations after being captured, and these were often forwarded via the Red Cross. My old friend Josef Buerschgens of JG 26 received the Ehrenpokal at Bowmanville.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 19 users online. 0 members and 19 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,472 at 02:00 PM on Today.

Working...
                                X