Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Geoff!

Just goes to show how memory can turn heavy wood into steel! LOL

Several of us remembered those doors being steel. Maybe the power of suggestion, combined with imperfect memory.

Just as our own memories are imperfect, it's another reminder that we shouldn't take every detail as gospel when they were recounted by veterans of WWII, particularly the more years that went by before they shared it. Maybe it's right, maybe it's not.

Comment

My memory is vindicated. Wooden doors! Thanks Geoff.
      Max.

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
        Sorry to pour cold water over your theory, but the blood flag (stains damage and all) currently resides in a private collection owned by a very wealthy German. So your "unbelievable story" of how it was obtained could certainly be true! I don't know how the collector obtained it, but it has been confirmed to me by an extremely reliable source.
        Max.

Its no big secret.... Its Gerd Heidemann.

Comment

Originally posted by Obersalzberg View Post
          Its no big secret.... Its Gerd Heidemann.
          No it's not. That's a popular rumour.

Comment

Originally posted by randy@treadways View Post
            Thanks Geoff!

Just goes to show how memory can turn heavy wood into steel! LOL

Several of us remembered those doors being steel. Maybe the power of suggestion, combined with imperfect memory.

Just as our own memories are imperfect, it's another reminder that we shouldn't take every detail as gospel when they were recounted by veterans of WWII, particularly the more years that went by before they shared it. Maybe it's right, maybe it's not.
            Randy,

Ain't it the truth! My old tank gunner and myself cannot now agree on the name of our tank in 1980. It was painted on the bore evacuator, but he says it was "Cookie Monster" and I say it was "Career of Evil." Now, we both couldn't be right, but how could we remember it so differently?

Comment

Sadly, Frau Ingrid Scharfenberg, owner of the Hotel zum Tuerken on the Obersalzberg, passed away on February 17.

As to the future of the hotel ... who knows? There is no-one currently there to take over and run the hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Walden View Post
                Sadly, Frau Ingrid Scharfenberg, owner of the Hotel zum Tuerken on the Obersalzberg, passed away on February 17.

As to the future of the hotel ... who knows? There is no-one currently there to take over and run the hotel.
                Geoff,
                That is extremely sad news. She was a lovely lady who ran her hotel as Bavarian hotels should be run. I spent many hours in conversation with her during the 1980s and early 1990s. She remembered the time of Hitler's occupation on the Obersalzberg well and told me that she liked Eva Braun, even though her family were forced to leave their home. I remember watching her late husband feed the fish at the rear of the hotel. Most people only saw him as the guy who took the money at the bunker entrance -- a job Frau Scharfenberg did herself when she handed over the actual running of the hotel in the late 90s(?). She didn't stay retired long, returning to her more familiar role as hotel proprietor when the couple who had run it for her ended their tenure.
                My last visit to the Obersalzberg was a few years ago when I was appalled at the changes in the area and the addition of the monstrous modern hotel on the former Göring Hill and the hideous new visitor centre and car park. All in the name of progress or profit. Gone were the days of quiet mornings, waking up in the Türken to the sound of the stream across the road and the first Kehlstein buses making their way up to the Hintereck. I'm sure Frau Scharfenberg would have hated the changes.
                People who visit the area now in their droves would have no idea of the atmospheric surroundings of just 20-30 years ago, sadly gone forever. They and Frau Scharfenberg will be missed.
                Max.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X