No announcement yet.

Postcard " Hitler at Obersalzberg" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I obviously did not stay in every room, but those I did (and certainly the top floor rooms) had plain hardwood doors. I know because my mates knocked on my door every morning to wake me up! Think about it.....if they were solid steel, can you imagine the weight of them? Certainly not practical for hotel guests who might be infirm! No, I'm sure they were thick hardwood. I can see the small hooks for the room keys on the door frames in your top photo. Come to think of it, every room I stayed in had ensuite facilities and there was no leaving the room for a pee. My mates and I would have kept all the guest awake all night had that been the case. We did like a few beers in those days!
    Thanks,
    Max.

Comment

They were definitely thick steel doors when I stayed there in 1990. Maybe they've been replaced since then.

Comment

Sounds like you both stayed in the pleb wings!

Comment

Some photos from my stays on the Obersalzberg before it was ruined by contract demolition and rebuilding.
          Max.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

All these have disappeared apart from the bunker entrance and a wall of the guest house I believe. Enjoy.
                          Max.

Comment

The photos in posts 19 -22 show the Berghof garage.
                            Post 23 shows the Berghof garage and one of the bunker entrances.
                            Post 24 shows the interior of the Kindergarten and the motor pool.
                            Post 25 is the rear of the guest house and the Platterhof (Gen. Walker Hotel.)
                            Post 26 shows the top of the footpath leading to the guest house (in background) and a side view of the guest house.
                            Max.
                            Last edited by max history; 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

What exciting photos, Max!! Thank you so much for sharing them! As I said, when I visited in 1999, there was nothing visible left of the Berghof, so your being able to access the garage and to see the other sites is a real treat! Though the Berghof, landhaus Göring and Bormann Haus were gone for some time, I did see the General Walker Hotel as it looked in your photo; at that time the property had recently been returned to the German government by the US military forces and the building was locked and appeared to be empty. Was there anything left of the Tea House on the Mooslahnerkopf when you were there? I didn't have the opportunity to walk over to see for myself.

I am also quite interested in your comment that you actually saw the destruction of the 'Putsch Martyrs' Memorial' in the Feldherrnhalle! Would you please say more about that event, and if possible, share a photo or two? I'm sure I'm not the only person to have assumed that the memorial designed by Prof. Ludwig Troost and executed by Prof. Kurt Schmid-Ehmen was either taken away prior to the occupation of Munich or that it was destroyed by the occupation forces shortly after the end of the war.

Again, many thanks for making this thread, and WAF itself, a place unlike any other, where one can see and read about such unique places and occurrences!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                                I am also quite interested in your comment that you actually saw the destruction of the 'Putsch Martyrs' Memorial' in the Feldherrnhalle! Would you please say more about that event, and if possible, share a photo or two? I'm sure I'm not the only person to have assumed that the memorial designed by Prof. Ludwig Troost and executed by Prof. Kurt Schmid-Ehmen was either taken away prior to the occupation of Munich or that it was destroyed by the occupation forces shortly after the end of the war.

Br. James
                                You are quite correct in saying the memorial was removed at war's end. If you read my post, you will see that I was referring to the raised plinth upon which the memorial stood. It was an oblong platform a few inches in height and was all that was left of the memorial site for many years. During a visit to Munich (my second home) in about 1993/94 I think, my friend and I stood and watched as a lone workman chiselled the plinth away with a heavy bolster and hammer. When we asked him why it was being removed, he said because it was causing damp in the Weinkeller below! What absolute nonsense. It was plainly an attempt by the Munich authorities to sweep away any last vestiges of the Nazi memorial. If you visit the site now, you can just make out the shape of the plinth in the new replacement surfacing.
                                Max.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X