Berghof/Berchtesgaden Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    The area maked A is today just 2 small shallow pools in the area were the barracks was i think,
    heres a link to my visit of the area far too many photos to repost.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=325365
    Merdock

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
      Hi,
      The area maked A is today just 2 small shallow pools in the area were the barracks was i think,
      heres a link to my visit of the area far too many photos to repost.
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=325365
      Merdock
      These threads of recent photos are always so interesting.
      Merdock, I just went over your thread, ABSOLUTELY COOL!!
      Thanks for these great threads everyone.
      Jp

Comment

John,

Thanks for the advice. It would be nice if the honeymoon is her first trip
        overseas, then she would follow me anywhere!! Salzburg looks amazing.

Comment

B is the InterConti Resort hotel. A is the site of the SS Kaserne. What appears to be construction is actually the remains of destruction started in 2001 when they tore out all the building basements and the underground rifle range. There have been rumors that there would eventually be some sort of concert pavilion built here, but who knows. Just to the upper left of the A circle is the Hotel zum Tuerken. The Berghof site is out of this photo, off to the left of the Tuerken.

Sadly, Frau Ingrid Scharfenberg, owner of the Hotel zum Tuerken, passed away on 17 February. Since there is no-one to take over the hotel now, the Tuerken may be the next historic building to fall victim to the destruction of the Obersalzberg.

Originally posted by corporalSteiner View Post
          fresh alpine air blows from these pictures. but can anyone id these two parts of one of these shots? and does the picture show the site of the berghof?

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Walden View Post
            Sadly, Frau Ingrid Scharfenberg, owner of the Hotel zum Tuerken, passed away on 17 February. Since there is no-one to take over the hotel now, the Tuerken may be the next historic building to fall victim to the destruction of the Obersalzberg.
            Geoff,
            That is extremely sad news. She was a lovely lady who ran her hotel as Bavarian hotels should be run. I spent many hours in conversation with her during the 1980s and early 1990s. She remembered the time of Hitler's occupation on the Obersalzberg well and told me that she liked Eva Braun, even though her family were forced to leave their home. I remember watching her late husband feed the fish at the rear of the hotel. Most people only saw him as the guy who took the money at the bunker entrance -- a job Frau Scharfenberg did herself when she handed over the actual running of the hotel in the early 90s. She didn't stay retired long, returning to her more familiar role as hotel proprietor when the couple who had run it for her ended their tenure.
            My last visit to the Obersalzberg was a few years ago when I was appalled at the changes in the area and the addition of the monstrous modern hotel on the former Göring Hill and the hideous new visitor centre and car park. All in the name of progress or profit. Gone were the days of quiet mornings, waking up in the Türken to the sound of the stream across the road and the first Kehlstein buses making their way up to the Hintereck. I'm sure Frau Scharfenberg would have hated the changes.
            People who visit the area now in their droves would have no idea of the atmospheric surroundings of just 20-30 years ago, sadly gone forever. They and Frau Scharfenberg will be missed.
            Max.

Comment

Thank you, Geoff, for the sad news of Frau Ingrid Scharfenberg's recent death, and thanks to Max for his gentle reminiscences of times spent at the Hotel zum Türken. My only visit to the Obersalzberg was made in the late 1990s and I had the pleasure of buying my ticket to the bunker catacomb from Frau Scharfenberg. I have always regretted that I did not have enough time to spend chatting with her on the day I was there, but my schedule was such that I was rushed to go through the tunnels and missed the opportunity to absorb the history to be found at her feet. My loss, indeed, and an irreplaceable one, too. May she rest in peace.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                Thank you, Geoff, for the sad news of Frau Ingrid Scharfenberg's recent death, and thanks to Max for his gentle reminiscences of times spent at the Hotel zum Türken. My only visit to the Obersalzberg was made in the late 1990s and I had the pleasure of buying my ticket to the bunker catacomb from Frau Scharfenberg. I have always regretted that I did not have enough time to spend chatting with her on the day I was there, but my schedule was such that I was rushed to go through the tunnels and missed the opportunity to absorb the history to be found at her feet. My loss, indeed, and an irreplaceable one, too. May she rest in peace.

Br. James
                It was the late 90s and not the early 90s as I first said. The mind plays strange tricks when you get old!!

Comment

Max,

Ain't it the truth? That area was SO peaceful until they built that %$#^%& InterConti hotel. I remember fondly, walking my dog in the evenings back up the hill and around where Goering's pool was. It was so quiet - not a sound except distant cow bells and cuckoos.

My favorite period at the Tuerken was ca. 2000 when the couple from Munich (Monika and Mario) were running the hotel, and Frau Scharfenberg was free to sit out in the kiosk and chat all day - she told me some amazing stories! And Mario was a great cook - it was really nice to be able to eat lunch and supper in the Tuerken.

Geoff

Originally posted by max history View Post
                  Geoff,
                  That is extremely sad news. She was a lovely lady who ran her hotel as Bavarian hotels should be run. I spent many hours in conversation with her during the 1980s and early 1990s. She remembered the time of Hitler's occupation on the Obersalzberg well and told me that she liked Eva Braun, even though her family were forced to leave their home. I remember watching her late husband feed the fish at the rear of the hotel. Most people only saw him as the guy who took the money at the bunker entrance -- a job Frau Scharfenberg did herself when she handed over the actual running of the hotel in the early 90s. She didn't stay retired long, returning to her more familiar role as hotel proprietor when the couple who had run it for her ended their tenure.
                  My last visit to the Obersalzberg was a few years ago when I was appalled at the changes in the area and the addition of the monstrous modern hotel on the former Göring Hill and the hideous new visitor centre and car park. All in the name of progress or profit. Gone were the days of quiet mornings, waking up in the Türken to the sound of the stream across the road and the first Kehlstein buses making their way up to the Hintereck. I'm sure Frau Scharfenberg would have hated the changes.
                  People who visit the area now in their droves would have no idea of the atmospheric surroundings of just 20-30 years ago, sadly gone forever. They and Frau Scharfenberg will be missed.
                  Max.

Comment

Sadly, one cannot turn back the clock and halt the march of so-called "progress." I will never return to Obersalzberg....it just ain't the same.
                    Max.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X