Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John M. Donovan View Post
    Hey Guys,

Nate - I can understand the feeling of not wanting to leave the Berchtesgadener Land. It is a such a beautiful place. Were you able to check out the Königssee while there? Also, did you visit Frau Scharfenberg at the Zum Tuerken Hotel?

Brad - Great photo! We had actually planned an afternoon hike while there on our final day, but the weather was grey and it was raining a bit so we made an early visit to München instead. Were going to head up to the Wimback Schloss:
    http://www.wimbachschloss.de/

Best,
    John
    I didn't have a chance to see Konigssee because I was on a tour. I drove past Zum Tuerken...

Comment

Hi Nate,

At least you made it to Berchtesgaden. The Königssee will always be there next time. The tour of the Salt Mine is also a lot of fun.

I'm curious which tour you were while there? I've done the one by David/Christine Harper a couple of times and enjoyed it immensely.

Best,
      John

http://www.eagles-nest-historical-to...ex.php?navid=2

Comment

Hi Nate,

At least you made it to Berchtesgaden. The Königssee will always be there next time. The tour of the Salt Mine is also a lot of fun.

I'm curious which tour you were while there? I've done the one by David/Christine Harper a couple of times and enjoyed it immensely.

Best,
        John

http://www.eagles-nest-historical-to...ex.php?navid=2

Photos arrived!!!

John, I was on the Band of Brothers Tour with Jake Powers (2007). I recognize the woman on the link. She met up with our group when we entered Berchtesgaden. One of the highlights of the trip was eating dinner at the Eagles Nest the night before heading back home. I looking forward to riding up and down the Königssee next time. If I can ever find a wife, that will be our honeymoon!

Comment

Hi,
          Glad that you like the area ,I spent a full week there last year and can't wait to go back.
          Merdock
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
            Hi,
            Glad that you like the area ,I spent a full week there last year and can't wait to go back.
            Merdock
            Did you stay at the InterContinental hotel?

Comment

Great original photos! Like you I can never be bore looking at pictures of the berghof/eagles nest past or present. Here is a picture from the eagle nest's balcony in 2007 and the other one is the sign on the building.
              Attached Files

Comment

fresh alpine air blows from these pictures. but can anyone id these two parts of one of these shots? and does the picture show the site of the berghof?
                Attached Files

Comment

I can't tell you what 'A' is exactly. I can tell you that it is located directly behind the Zum Tuerken Hotel which you can see in the photo right above it. Believe there is a connection to the hotel Intercontinental. 'B' is the Hotel Intercontinental located on the spot of the former Goering home.

Best,
                  John

Comment

Very interesting photos!

Comment

I can't tell you what 'A' is exactly. I can tell you that it is located directly behind the Zum Tuerken Hotel which you can see in the photo right above it. Believe there is a connection to the hotel Intercontinental. 'B' is the Hotel Intercontinental located on the spot of the former Goering home.
                      I recall that when the first "artistic renderings" were drawn for the IC Hotel, there were two massive building depicted - with one of them being in this location labeled "A". The building labeled "B" is certainly one of the buildings depicted in that rendering . . . and I suspect the construction shown at "A" is the second building, now under construction. Whatever is being built there, it's going to be big . . . and it's location is between the Documentation Center/Kehlsteinhaus Parking Lot and the IC Hotel - I would say it couldn't be anything other than another hotel. Very sad for the Turken and the Frau . . . I still say everyone at WAF should take up a collective fund and buy the place - make it "Time-Share-Museum" amongst all of the investors, with room for guests or something . . . Some day soon I fear it will ALL be gone . . .

Hey John - Recognize this place? Before you arrived, we passed it on our way to Bad Gastein this Fall . . . wanted to stop and visit again, but ran short of time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

"Broadsword calling Dannyboy..."

Brad,

Took a similar photo on our way to visit the castle...I can't believe I missed this when I was in Berchtesgaden in '09. It was one of the highlights of our 2010 trip. The Falconry display was breathtaking.

Best,
                        John
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NEllis View Post
                          If I can ever find a wife, that will be our honeymoon!
                          Nate,

Some advice from one married man...most woman aren't interested in 'Nazi' stuff. When pitching your honeymoon trip to the future Mrs. be sure to include Salzburg, Austria in your itinerary. It is only 45 min from Berchtesgaden and a true jewel of a city.

Best,
                          John
                          Attached Files

Comment

A view from the other side of the river (Salzach) from atop Burg Hohensalzburg.
                            Attached Files

Comment

John,

So . . . once you made it to the castle and took a moment to view your surroundings, didn't you feel like you were in THE PLACE "Where Eagles Dare(d)"??? I knew you would really enjoy the stop! The falconry is awesome, and the views from everywhere inside are even more invigorating . . . I am so happy you decided to make it a point to visit! Werfen is such a great place - so beautiful, and very relaxing - one of a few places that offers the absolute freshest air I have ever inhaled . . .

And Nate,

If you do take the Wife to Salzburg, be sure you make a side-trip to this place:

http://www.augustinerbier.at/

It's a great way to end a day in Salzburg . . . and then again, it's also a great place to start from as well!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Brad,

It appears we have a similar idea of what constitutes a good time...

John
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X