X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here is one of my favorite Kriegsmarine portraits. This is Oberleutnant Jürgen Herr a crewmember of the Hilfskreuzer Widder and then Michel's first cruise. The portait was taken in Tokyo, Japan in 1943.

I also posted a close-up of his awards. The awards look a bit "off" to me. Do you think it possible that they all can be Japanese manufactured?

Joe
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Slavick View Post
            Here is one of my favorite Kriegsmarine portraits. This is Oberleutnant Jürgen Herr a crewmember of the Hilfskreuzer Widder and then Michel's first cruise. The portait was taken in Tokyo, Japan in 1943.

I also posted a close-up of his awards. The awards look a bit "off" to me. Do you think it possible that they all can be Japanese manufactured?

Joe
            Hi Joe,

There's always some distortion on the blowups of the photos but neither of these are Japanese made in my view. To me, that is clearly a C.E. Juncker Auxiliary Cruiser badge.

The Destroyer is interesting; at first glance it looks like a needle pin variant from one of the Vienna makers in zinc, but it could also very well be a Tombak S&L which has a distinctive long slender top hook that mimics the look of a thin main pin.

Do you know when he qualified for his Destroyer badge?

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a real poster boy image of smart and snappy looking sailor in a jovial attitude.

-Ray-
              Attached Files
              Last edited by -Ray-; 06-19-2012, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Hans-Achim von Rosenberg-Gruszynski, here as 2.WO. on U 37, later KIA as CO on U 384.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

family portrait

Comment

Norm:

Wow! Great investigative work there! I'll see if I can contact him once again and ask about his awards. I never thought to ask such precise questions when I was interviewing him.

Joe

Comment

Coastal Artillery.

Cheers,
                      Larry
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Slavick View Post

Joe
                        You know I just has another look at this photo and I think the two badges where added on post photo in the dark-room??

Not taking anything from the photo most likely done period as at the time it would of been cheaper than re shooting the sitting as that could be expensive (no Walmart 9$ portraits in those days)

As well well why would the pin be showing like that?? Most of the pics I have seen the pin is under the tunic.

Just my 2c

Comment

Originally posted by Larrister View Post
                          Coastal Artillery.

Cheers,
                          Larry
                          nice WW1 naval wound badge in that pic; thanks larry

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
                            nice WW1 naval wound badge in that pic; thanks larry
                            Thanks Dave.

Here is a NSFK Scharfuhrer wearing the WW1 naval BWB.

Cheers,
                            Larry
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                              You know I just has another look at this photo and I think the two badges where added on post photo in the dark-room??
                              As well well why would the pin be showing like that?? Most of the pics I have seen the pin is under the tunic.
                              Hi byterock,

I doubt that there was any photo editing. it's too low resolution a photo to draw any conclusions like that in my opinion.

Regarding the pin, it would never go through the cloth under the tunic. It was always threaded through small loops, and therefore lay atop the material. The pin was often visible on photos depending on the lighting and resolution, unless of course it was a horizontal pin setup that was hidden behind the motif of the badge.

You can see the pin on the Coastal Artillery badge that was just posted by Larrister. And also on the Minesweeper posted by Nordi.

Best regards,
                              ---Norm
                              Attached Files

Comment

Came in today.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X