No announcement yet.

Post your "translation needed" here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gerdan, u are very helpful, #9251, what does '8 matt - 1 hochgl.(anz)' mean? A few more for translation. regards graeme
    Attached Files

Comment

some more
      Attached Files

Comment

these could be a location in Greece as Augerne (?) and
        could the word before Maerz 1943 be Maleme? thanks graeme
        Attached Files

Comment

# 9258

"matt" (matted) or "hochglanz" (high gloss) mean the surface of the photographs.

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
            # 9247

" Königsberger Zoo ! Ewald, wo steckst Du nur? --- hinter dem kleinen Jungen (neben dem Esel)

z.(ur) Z.(ei)t. i.(m) Urlaub Nauh., 29.6. - 5.7.43"

Gerdan
            Danke Sehr!

Comment

# 9258

" Zum ewigen Andenken ... Frankreich

# 9259

1) "Befehlsausgabe"

2) "zerschossene frz. (französische) Tanks"

Gerdan

#

Comment

gerdan, thank u, regard s graeme

Comment

# 9260

1) "Augerne (?)

2) Zugtrupp 3. Zug

Ruhetag unter Olivenbäumen südlich Ma?? - März 1943"

Gerdan

Comment

Translation of Condolence Letter

Hi all

I would be very grateful if someone would be prepared to translate this letter as close to the original as possible. Thank you for any help.

Best wishes
                    Tim O.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tis is a letter written by the Oberleutnant and Kompaniefüherer Jochen Grassmann,

unit Feldpostnummer L 49448 c

in whih he tells the wif of the soldier Otto Thomas that he was KIA in Italy near Firezuola.

Otto Thomas burried in Italy cemetery Futa-Pass.

Endgrablage: Block 63 Grab 45

Nachname: Thomas
                      Vorname: Otto
                      Dienstgrad: Oberfeldwebel
                      Geburtsdatum: 10.02.1915
                      Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 18.09.1944

Gerdan

Comment

And this was the unit of Otto Thomas according to his Feldpostnummer:

Feldpostnummer 49448
                        (1.5.1942-19.10.1942) 6. Kompanie Flieger-Regiment 52,
                        (12.3.1943-7.9.1943) gestrichen,
                        (8.9.1943-22.4.1944) 17.1.1944 Stab III u. 9.-12. Kompanie Fallschirmjäger-Regiment

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O. View Post
                          Hi all

I would be very grateful if someone would be prepared to translate this letter as close to the original as possible. Thank you for any help.

Best wishes
                          Tim O.
                          1. step : the german text !

Grassmann Jochen Südfront, 28.9.44
                          Oberleutnant u. Kompanieführer
                          Feldpostnummer L 49448 c
                          Lg. R. (?) München 2

Sehr geehrte Frau Thomas.

Mit einer ganz schmerzliche Botschaft komme ich zu Ihnen: Ihr Gatte, der Oberfeldwebel Otto Thomas, fand am 18.9.44 bei Firenzuola im Apennin den Heldentod für Führer und Vaterland. Mir fällt es besonders schwer, Ihnen diese unendlich schwere Nachricht zukommen zu lassen, denn Obfw. Thomas war mir in den paar Tagen unseres Beisammenseins zu einem lieben Kameraden geworden. Ich kam am 11.9.44 zur (? ... Gerdan?) zu seiner Kompanie und erkannte sofort, dass er das Rückgrat der Kompanie darstellte: Zwei Monate hatte er diese Kompanie ja selbst sicher geführt. Von ihm lernte ich unendlich viel. Bis zum 17.9.44 waren wir noch beisammen, dann erhielt er einen Sonderauftrag. Einer seiner Männer berichtete mir dann von seinem Heldentod: Hinter der HKL (Hauptkampflinie) saß („sass“) seine Gruppe in einem Haus zusammen, als plötzlich die Tür aufging und jemand „Hände hoch“ schrie. Alle Anwesenden haben die Hände hoch, nur Obfw. Thomas sprang mit einem Satz zur Tür, um den Gegner aufzupacken. Dabei schoss der Feind mit der Maschinenpistole drauf ihn, dass er sofort tot zusammenbrach.

Sehen Sie, liebe Frau Thomas, sogar in seiner letzten Minute hat er sich als braver äußerst („äusserst“) tapferer Soldat gezeigt. Die Kompanie wird ihm stets ein ehrendes Angedenken bewahren. Der einzige Trost ist für uns, dass auch sein Heldentod ein Baustein zum Endsiege und damit für die Zukunft Deutschlands darstellt.

Ich grüße („grüsse“) Sie herzlichst im tiefen Mitgefühl, ihr Jochen Grassmann.
                          The 2nd step (translation) arriving soon !

Regards,
                          Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O. View Post
                            Hi all

Best wishes
                            Tim O.
                            2nd step !

Grassmann Jochen Southfront, September 18, 1944.
                            Oberleutnant u. Kompanieführer
                            Feldpostnummer L 49448 c
                            Lg. R. (?) München 2

Dear Mrs Thomas.

I come to you with a quite painful embassy: your husband, the Oberfeldwebel (staff sergeant) Otto Thomas, found on September 18, 1944 the heroic death for Führer and fatherland near Firenzuola in the Apennines. It is particularly uneasy for me to send you this infinitely hard news, because Obfw. Thomas became during the few days in his company a very dear companion to me. I came on September 11, 1944 to (?) his unit and recognized immediately that he was the backbone of the company: during two months he had led in a assured way this company. I learned infinitely a lot from him.
                            Up to September 17, 1994 we were still together, until he received a special order. Later one of his men reported to me from his heroic death: his group stayed in a house behind the “HKL” (“Hauptkampflinie” : main combat line) when suddenly the door rose and somebody shouted “hands up”. All present persons raised their hands high, only Obfw. Thomas jumped to the door, to catch the opponent. Besides, the enemy shot on him with the gun machine so that he broke immediately deadly down.

You see, dear Mrs. Thomas, even in his last minute, he appeared as an extremely brave soldier. The company will always retain to him with an honoring thought. The only consolation for us is that even his heroic death is a component towards the final victory and with it, for the future of Germany.

With best greetings in deep sympathy, Jochen Grassmann.
                            Sorry for my bad english, I hope you will understand it

Regards,
                            Erik

Comment

Gerdan - thank you very much for your help. This is very useful information.

Erik - thank you very much indeed for all of your work. This is brilliant and exactly what I was hoping for.

Thank you both for your time and effort. It is very much appreciated.

Best wishes
                              Tim O.

Comment

This was a letter from an FJ while on Kreta. I did not want it translated word for word, but I am interested in any discussion of the frighting the FJ experienced (if any). I thank you in advance, regard s graeme
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 27 users online. 0 members and 27 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X