Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

trans

Seiner lieben Base Hertha zum Gedenken an ihren Guenther.

Comment

Thanx.

Comment

SS Mans Diary from 1938

Hello,

I have a diary from 1938 that was kept by a man in the Waffen SS. There is a record for every single day for the entire year.

It is done in pencil using the old German script. Can any of you translate the information or know somebody that might be able to? I know, finding somebody that can still read this old script is going to be difficult.

Can somebody translate a few of the entries into English just to get a feel for what kind of information was being recorded? I have attached the first couple of weeks from January, 1938.

Thank you, Doug
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello!

Can anyone read what this says?

Thank you,
            Mark
            Attached Files

Comment

Okay you guys are no help with the SS letter from Schroda, Poland. To tell you the truth I don't even think it's written in german. I just wanted a general overview of the letter not a word for word translation.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen grund View Post
                Okay you guys are no help with the SS letter from Schroda, Poland. To tell you the truth I don't even think it's written in german. I just wanted a general overview of the letter not a word for word translation.
                It's well and good in German, begins with "Dear Willi, it's really about time that I send you a few words" (paraphrased, of course).

It IS tough to read (beyond that opening, I can only pick out various words, and generally not enough to put together a sentence; I'd have to look long & hard to figure it out). And as you can see, lots of people here ask for translations, and only a small number can actually do them. My abilities are somewhat limited compared to Gerdan and a couple others, but we do what we can to help.

You're welcome.

Hank
                Last edited by Hank C.; 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM. Reason: more info
                Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thanks Hank for trying. I do wish you could read it better. I've just always been curious if there was any mention of the war at all in it.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen grund View Post
                    Thanks Hank for trying. I do wish you could read it better. I've just always been curious if there was any mention of the war at all in it.
                    Well, it closes with him wishing her (it appears "Willi" is Fraulein, from the envelope) all the best for Christmas, and hopes she thinks of him.

From what I can pick out of the body, there's really not much about the war.

Overall, Feldpost are usually 99% "I got your letter/package/message, I'm doing fine, how's Uncle/Aunt/Grandma X doing? Weather is good/bad/cold/hot, I've got to go now as it's X o'clock". They're pretty mundane, as anything dealing with specifics of military endeavors would be censored and the writer/receiver questioned about it.

I hope that tiny bit helps.

Best,
                    Hank
                    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Yes, thank you Hank. That makes sense about the censorship that had to be enforced. Can you make out the guy's name who wrote the letter?

Comment

Hello guys

I got the main idea but can you tell me exactly what s written please
                        Thx
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

-=Always looking for French cadets infos at Shaw Field South Carolina 1944=-

Comment

# 8908

"Kroatischer Staatsführer der "Poglawnik" - O.B. - Abholung vom Flugplatz in Golubinka (Don) "

Gerdan

Comment

thank you ! sorry...i forgot to precise in english too please
                            sigpic

-=Always looking for French cadets infos at Shaw Field South Carolina 1944=-

Comment

# 8910

The Croatian statesman of the "Poglawnik" - O.(ber) B.(efehlshaber)- commander-in-chief - pick up from the airport Golubinka (Don)

Gerdan

Comment

# 8904

Indeed Hank, we do everything we can but some letters require too much time to read and translate them totally - specially when the handwriting is very individual...

As I am very busy with my job I have not the time to do this additional work. A lot of members do ask me by pm to help them in translating German letters or documents. Even when they offer me to pay it I can not do it may be when I am retired!

Regards
                                Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 186 users online. 0 members and 186 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X